Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious mouse infestation

• 18-03-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My elderly folks house has a serious mouse infestation. Last year we had pest control out. They placed poisoned bait around the house. It has made little or no difference. They are back again this year in numbers. I tried several conventional and humane traps around the kitchen, they have got wise to these. It was the last straw when they got into a box of chocolates and devoured the entire contents from the inside out leaving an empty wrapped box!. Is there any other effective way of getting rid of these besides getting a cat, the old man hates cats but might just have toi put up with one.

How would you get rid of mice?? 26 votes

Use conventional snap traps and kill them!
    0% 0 votes
    Use humane live catch traps and let them go again!
    61% 16 votes
    Get the professionals in and poison them. ie "Rent o Kill".
    23% 6 votes
    Get a cat!
    15% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My elderly folks house has a serious mouse infestation. Last year we had pest control out. They placed poisoned bait around the house. It has made little or no difference. They are back again this year in numbers. I tried several conventional and humane traps around the kitchen, they have got wise to these. It was the last straw when they got into a box of chocolates and devoured the entire contents from the inside out leaving an empty wrapped box!. Is there any other effective way of getting rid of these besides getting a cat, the old man hates cats but might just have toi put up with one.

Hi,
    My brothers old house used to always get infestations of mice especially this time of year. The only thing that worked to get rid of them was a plug that emits a sound that drives mice insane. They won't come near the house after turning it on. It worked really well and doesn't even use that much electricity. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hi,
    My brothers old house used to always get infestations of mice especially this time of year. The only thing that worked to get rid of them was a plug that emits a sound that drives mice insane. They won't come near the house after turning it on. It worked really well and doesn't even use that much electricity. Hope that helps.
    We had two of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

You can have a lend of my cat, :D She's a beast at catching mice!!
    Please don't use poison though cause its the most disgusting way for something to die.
    I'll ask my bro what the make of the plug he had was and I'll pm you with it. It worked really well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Hi,
    i have them too ive had no problem with mice,plug it out every month and put on again as the sound differs as mice can get cute with the sounds,you can burrow my black panther!lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does anyone you know have ferrets?? They really are BRILLIANT for getting rid of mice.

Poison is not nice but I have had to resort to it at times - I have had rats get into my aviaries & last year they killed my female ring neck & ate all her eggs & killed 2 squirrels we had. We tend to pop poison into holes they make & then seal them in - expanding foam works really well.

If they mice continue you have to find out how they are getting in. get food storage boxes for all cereals & packet foods - you do not want to get any nasty zoonotic diseases from mice!

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Does anyone you know have ferrets?? They really are BRILLIANT for getting rid of mice.

Poison is not nice but I have had to resort to it at times - I have had rats get into my aviaries & last year they killed my female ring neck & ate all her eggs & killed 2 squirrels we had. We tend to pop poison into holes they make & then seal them in - expanding foam works really well.

If they mice continue you have to find out how they are getting in. get food storage boxes for all cereals & packet foods - you do not want to get any nasty zoonotic diseases from mice!
    Ferrets sounds like a good idea, can they be bought in town? much? could they be let go in the wild after the job is done? I believe they can give a nasty bite! Are these easy to catch if I let them loose around the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you know of anyone who has pet ferrets you can borrow those - tame ferrets are grand & do not bite!

Nope you should not let them go in the wild - they are pets.

If you know of anyone who has pet ferrets you can borrow those - tame ferrets are grand & do not bite!

Nope you should not let them go in the wild - they are pets.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Get a cat. Even borrow a cat.
    I had mice trouble in my place around 10 years back, then I got a cat. End of mouse problem. Even if the man of the house doesn't like cats I'm sure they are preferable to having mice around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Whatever method you end up using (and I'm a poison fan, sorry!) you need to ensure that they can't get back in afterwards.

We had little field mice last year, all very cute but I didn't plant on sharing my home with them! I went straight for the Rentakill man and we got rid of them but they also went around the outside of the house and pointed out the nooks and crannies they could get in through and we sealed them all up with various means. And remember, because they have no skeleton to speak of, if you can get a biro in a hole, you can get a mouse in a hole!!

I know it's no consolation but be glad it's not rats. Friends had those for a while and it was horrific! And when they sealed up the holes with polyfilla or whatever, the rats just ate their way through :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Alia Better Fire

I used to use mouse traps, the one's which snap over and break their little necks - quick death.

But since I got my first cat a few year's ago I haven't have one mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Get a cat or a ferrit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Personally I would stay away from poison.

Dying mice have a habit of seeking out very remote, dark corners to do their last breath in.

The smell of one (or several) de-composing mice from under your floorboards or inbetween walls is really, really bad and lasts for weeks ! :eek:

togster wrote: »
    Get a cat or a ferrit
    you mean ferret not ( ferrit )

Mairt wrote: »
    I used to use mouse traps, the one's which snap over and break their little necks - quick death.

But since I got my first cat a few year's ago I haven't have one mouse.
    QUOTE=Mairt;55428825 break their little neck
    is a tiny harsh as im good mood today il ignore it today

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

get a cat. we used to have mice get into the house every year for God knows how many years. then we took in a stray cat (who it turns out is the coolest cat in the world) and have never had one since.

EDIT: we did actually have one mouse get in. I think he must've been in the house two minutes before the cat got the smell of him and went mad trying to get behind the presses which I think drove the mouse out.

Steak wrote: »
    get a cat. we used to have mice get into the house every year for God knows how many years. then we took in a stray cat (who it turns out is the coolest cat in the world) and have never had one since.

EDIT: we did actually have one mouse get in. I think he must've been in the house two minutes before the cat got the smell of him and went mad trying to get behind the presses which I think drove the mouse out.
    cats are good when ye have one at home glad it solved your mice problems!

Yippe!!! Caught one of them with a conventional snap trap last night :)

Yippe!!! Caught a second one of them with a conventional today!! :):) BTW Nutella works wonders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The humane traps work well too, tho the mice seem to cotton on to them.
    Whatever it takes heh. It's not nice having unwanted visitors in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ferrets would'nt be great at catching mice, especially in a house,
    I have two working ferrets that i use for rabbits and rats and they are very good for this. and OP, if you do get a ferret DO NOT release it back into the wild, would have disastrous effects on local wildlife. poison and traps are your best bet, they wont take poison if there is lots of other food around so do your best to keep food out of thier reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The old fashioned mousetrap with a bit of chocolate or bacon works wonders. Forget about cheese, they hate it.

+1 for bitemybanger on the ferret issue.

Ferrets would'nt be great at catching mice, especially in a house,
    I have two working ferrets that i use for rabbits and rats and they are very good for this. and OP, if you do get a ferret DO NOT release it back into the wild, would have disastrous effects on local wildlife. poison and traps are your best bet, they wont take poison if there is lots of other food around so do your best to keep food out of thier reach.
    Traps are working fine, Im posting everytime I catch one! Brother has a Jack Russle, either he would go for the ferret or it would go for him, BTW he is useless. I am using Nutella in the traps, works wonders, the mice are even swiping this stuff from the traps that have gone off with their dead comerades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

"conventional" traps and poison are just cruel.....

use humane traps (you need to deposit the mouse about a mile from your house)
    then put in a sonic thingy to deter any future "guests"
    and get a cat or two if you like for extra precautions, there are always masses of puds looking for good homes.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    "conventional" traps and poison are just cruel.....

use humane traps (you need to deposit the mouse about a mile from your house)
    then put in a sonic thingy to deter any future "guests"
    and get a cat or two if you like for extra precautions, there are always masses of puds looking for good homes.

oh ffs. Those sonic things don't work. Depositing a mouse a mile from your house?

I have an African Grey Parrot , and every year we would catch about 6 beside the cage. Ever since i got a ferret there is no sign. Its not that the ferret hunts but i think the ferrets smell is keeping them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

I'm intrigued...

What's the connection between the parrot and mice?

Dub6Kevin wrote: »
    I'm intrigued...

What's the connection between the parrot and mice?

i guess it's the bird feed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Ferrets sounds like a good idea, can they be bought in town? much? could they be let go in the wild after the job is done? I believe they can give a nasty bite! Are these easy to catch if I let them loose around the house?

DO NOT GET A FERRET!!!!!!

For one, anyone that knows anything about ferrets is that they are naturally programmed to go into burrows to hunt for rabbits or a lesser and crueler extenct rats (as they burrow too).

Second of all you cant let a ferret "into the wild", as they are domestiated creatures just like the dog and if you do release them you will certinly give them a death sentence.

A ferret cant get into the small places that mice do and also ferrets do not stalk their prey the same as a cat would.

Please, please, please do not take anyone misinformed advice on the misunderstood creatures. If you need to get rid of mice, a cat is your pet of choice. If you do need to know anything about ferrets or anyone else, please do not hesitate to PM me and i'l give you as much help and advice that i can.

• Advertisement

togster wrote: »
    oh ffs. Those sonic things don't work. Depositing a mouse a mile from your house?
    i have 2 sonics in my house as i did have loads of mice but now none.So they must work!!!

Advertisement