Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Squ wrote: »
    I wish I did! Apple maps couldn't find Rialto yesterday!

Had to resort to using, ugh, my satnav!

You didn't have to. maps.google.com is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

The mapping partnership with Waze has a big potential. For those of you that haven't used Waze mapping it allows you to send updates to nearby users - i.e. you can say traffic is heavy here, roadworks on this road, speed camera here etc. Whether any of that will be employed by Apple I've no idea, but if they did it would be great.

What's the story with Passbook? Probably will lack much support in Ireland initially. Is it a stand alone app or included? Those of you on iOs 6 have you been able to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Slightly off the topic of maps, but at least the setting for Bluetooth it now up to the top page in Settings (rather than four clicks down as it has been in all earlier versions of iOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Maps and Siri details available here http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Squ wrote: »
    I wish I did! Apple maps couldn't find Rialto yesterday!

Had to resort to using, ugh, my satnav!

To be fair to Apple on this one - Google maps sucked initially also (and in some places it still does (its sent me wrong a few times) - I guess mapping an entire planet and putting it on the internet is a data intensive time consuming process.

But on the whole I just think all this Apple vs Android war is stupid and this move mostly just annoys me

• Advertisement

That WILL only work in the US
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Not true, I've seen London version of it (on BBC video about iPhone 5) and also a Dublin version of it.
    Eh you may be right - I thought I saw a story somwhere saying it would only be US cities on release but maybe I imagined it
    Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    The Apple 3D Flyover thing works fine in Dublin, but only between the canals I find. Anything outside of that is a no go.

Nope!!!
    Maps and Siri details available here http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

Check here - only available for the USA !
    Wow I was right about something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah but a few users have downloaded the GM seed and some of the features Apple list as 'Not Available' in Ireland actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Nope!!!

Nobody told iOS6. The Dublin 3D map is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nope!!!

You are reading it wrong. Only 3d buildings in Navigation is not here. That's like a street view thing on turn by turn navigation not the flyover function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Nope!!!

That's an overly pessimistic list that Apple have there. Siri doesn't support Hiberno-English, so pretty much nothing is supported regarding Siri in Ireland, however, if it can understand your accent, most of it's services (apart from specific local search/booking functions) will work just fine. As for flyover, between the canals in Dublin obviously isn't a large enough area to have Ireland down as being covered. When Dublin 6 and 4 are included as well, then that will mean Ireland is covered :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

To be fair to Apple on this one - Google maps sucked initially also (and in some places it still does (its sent me wrong a few times) - I guess mapping an entire planet and putting it on the internet is a data intensive time consuming process.

But on the whole I just think all this Apple vs Android war is stupid and this move mostly just annoys me
    I've no doubt apple maps will improve over time..

Though I do think that google maps not being default will be good for quality as both google and apple maps will have to be excellent, or folk will just use which ever is better..

As for the apple android war.. Again two companies outdoing each other the whole time can only be good for consumers I think.

OK OK I GET IT PEOPLE

LEAVE ME ALONE NOW!!!!!

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Slightly off the topic of maps, but at least the setting for Bluetooth it now up to the top page in Settings (rather than four clicks down as it has been in all earlier versions of iOS).

Yeah, tis a nice change but now they have moved 'Location Services' so that its more awkward to turn on & off. Not good as I find it drains battery so i like to turn it on & off when I need it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

C'mon apple!! I want it naooooow!

Yeah, tis a nice change but now they have moved 'Location Services' so that its more awkward to turn on & off. Not good as I find it drains battery so i like to turn it on & off when I need it

One thing that always bothered me on IOs is that you only have one location services covering GPS and GSM location. Android gives you control individually over each. By default I don't want location services on - but when I do I only want to use GPS. IOs won't let me do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is there any word on when/if Google will be releasing a stand alone Google Maps App?

Think I'm going to hold off updating to iOS6 as I use Google Maps a lot and Apple's attempt looks pretty poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There shouldn't be any need to do that. Find the app that isn't playing nice and disable location services for just that app. It's possible System Services are the culprit - I have them all turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You know what bugs me most about iOS and no one seems to talk about it.

The App store, every time you download an app or an update it kicks you out to show the app installing.

Drives me mad, want to stay in the App store and let download/installation run in background.

The App store, every time you download an app or an update it kicks you out to show the app installing.

Drives me mad, want to stay in the App store and let download/installatoin run in background.

Yes! I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Drives me mad, want to stay in the App store and let download/installatoin run in background.
    I think that's one of the changes happening in iOS 6. I'm just not sure if it'll happen today with the iOS update, or next month with the iTunes update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Was that not added in iOS 6? Background downloads on the App Store. Maybe I dreamt it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Drives me mad, want to stay in the App store and let download/installation run in background.

Then you are going to love iOS 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

That will be fixed in today's update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Drives me nuts. Probably the most nonsensical feature on ios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Apple maps is actually very good i find!

Johnmb wrote: »
    I think that's one of the changes happening in iOS 6. I'm just not sure if it'll happen today with the iOS update, or next month with the iTunes update.

It's in iOS 6.0. When you tap on download/update, the button will change to "downloading" and then "open" without kicking you back to the home screen. You stay in the App Store. It behaves the same way as the Mac App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

That is fixed in IOS6. You can view the download in the App Store. Then choose 'Open' if you wish. Another change I like is that we are no longer required to enter Apple ID password when 'updating' an App. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sham09

Just checked on both my iPhone & iPad 3 and both say no update available..... What time today is iOS6 being released? Very interested to finally get a chance to use it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

sham09 wrote: »
    Just checked on both my iPhone & iPad 3 and both say no update available..... What time today is iOS6 being released? Very interested to finally get a chance to use it :-)

6pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

6pm, if you really want download the GM version from a torrent site and update it through iTunes by holding down ALT and Shift while clicking the update icon, will probably stay on the GM version (as it is essentially the finished product) for a few days until the traffic dies down on the official apple servers, will be manic at 6pm with everyone trying to update at the same time

Advertisement