Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Before the update my iPhone 4 used to have perfect Wifi downstairs. My iPad would pick it up but not with as strong a signal. Now I can't seem to get Wifi downstairs at all on my iPhone. The iPad is the same as before. Anyone have a weaker signal since the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

py2006 wrote: »
    Is there any point in updating the 3Gs to this?

Just played with a friends 3gs running iOS 6. Seems fine and he said it runs perfectly. Probably safe to update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Anyone get flyover working?
    Have no icon for it on my 4S.

No problems updating either.

same here no sign of a flyover option on mine either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Updated my iPhone 4S, overall the device is running a lot smoother compared to iOS 5 and battery life seems to be better so far.

Battery issues with iOS 6?
    My 4S battery is at 42% and is never usually. at this stage of the day, haven't been going mad on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

iregk wrote: »
    Mr Velo wrote: »
    You can turn off the Facebook Contacts - Settings/Facebook/Contacts (turn to Off).

Isn't that what I said in my post?
    iregk wrote:
    Easy to get rid of it, just stop giving the FB app access to your contacts. This removes all the ones it put in.
    It's actually the other way round. Contacts access your Facebook account

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

As for Apple maps - this story is trending like mad :) New airport on the Kilmacud Road and Shatter has made a gnats nickers of it......

http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-apple-maps-airport-dundrum-602115-Sep2012/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shatter:
    Clearly the designation is not only wrong but is dangerously misleading in that it could result in a pilot, unfamiliar with the area, in an emergency situation and without other available information, attempting a landing. I have arranged that Apple be informed of the error and requested that it be urgently corrected.

Sigh. The people we vote into office in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Battery issues with iOS 6?
    My 4S battery is at 42% and is never usually. at this stage of the day, haven't been going mad on it either.

My battery seems to be down a bit since upgrade as well. I'm on an IP4 and usually when I got home after a day's work with some browsing etc. the battery would be at 70-75%. Now it's between 50 & 60%. That's plugging out at about 8AM and getting home 10 hours later at 18:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

pfurey101 wrote: »
    As for Apple maps - this story is trending like mad :) New airport on the Kilmacud Road and Shatter has made a gnats nickers of it......

http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-apple-maps-airport-dundrum-602115-Sep2012/

Haha brilliant, People always make it a big deal because its apple.

As soon as Google release their apps, I'll be using them instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

hada wrote: »
    Have we a JB for ios 6? Know there was for some of the beta versions? (maybe even the GM?)
    Tethered jailbreak for A4 devices only so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

davehey79 wrote: »
    same here no sign of a flyover option on mine either

Go into Dublin city centre - zoom in, and you should see an icon in the left corner that resembles a building symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

I updated this morning took an hour via wifi. Had a quick look at the maps, I noticed that Apple have moved Dublin Zoo to Excheqer st, that will be handy for the tourists..
    The categories section in the App store wouldnt work at first but its working now.
    Safari seems to be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

pfurey101 wrote: »

And Dublin Zoo is on Excheqer st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Updated last night first impressions iOS 6 works a lot smoother I know there has been some issues with maps but I like the turn by turn feature overall really happy with the new iOS. iPhone 4S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BBC picking up the map story:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19659736

I reckon Apple are going to have to roll back on this and give people back Google maps......assuming Google are agreeable....which I suspect they might not be.....I'd imagine Google are loving this

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

anybody find that imessage was acting up earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

for some reason i can't download any apps from the app store or do updates on my ipad3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The maps are an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is it me or have they changed the start of the week in Calander for Ireland?

Used to be Monday but is now Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is it me or have they changed the start of the week in Calander for Ireland?

Used to be Monday but is now Sunday?

Was thinking that. Threw me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Was thinking that. Threw me right off.

I changed the country in settings, international to UK.

Just have to long press on £ to get € now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

iregk wrote: »
    Ok thankfully I've not had any of the problems most seem to have. I went to bed last night, clicked update, work up this morning it was asking for my itunes password. Put it in and no problem. Wifi everything all working fine and no crash. This is on a 4.

Only issue I have is the facebook integration. Jesus H Christ what has it done to my contacts. For those that have yet to click on it do not let it update your contacts. It will not go in find a contact with the same name and update it with the facebook info. It basically dumps all your entire FB friends list into your contacts. My contacts list on the phone was 200+ strong after doing this and many names duplicated. Easy to get rid of it, just stop giving the FB app access to your contacts. This removes all the ones it put in.

When you are looking at your contacts list, press "Groups" at the top of the screen, and uncheck "All Facebook. Problem solved.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

Likely what will happen is that they'll approve a google maps app on the store for download and in the meantime work out the bugs in their map service. That way the user will have choice....hopefully :)

I hope their map service improves as i'd like a viable rival to google maps and the apple maps has some nice features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

pwwillia wrote: »
    Likely what will happen is that they'll approve a google maps app on the store for download and in the meantime work out the bugs in their map service. That way the user will have choice....hopefully :)

I hope their map service improves as i'd like a viable rival to google maps and the apple maps has some nice features.

But what makes you think Google are in a hurry to release an app ?
    My guess is they could have done it by now already had they wanted. Seems like Android now has a competitive advantage on apple when it comes to maps. Why would google just give that away ? This is even there fault - they merely have to do nothing to gain advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Have to say calendar starting on Sunday is really annoying - shouldn't have to change my region just to get it to start on a Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Held off for nearly 24 hours but did the update :o

Bring on the bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

My guess is they could have done it by now already had they wanted. Seems like Android now has a competitive advantage on apple when it comes to maps. Why would google just give that away ? This is even there fault - they merely have to do nothing to gain advantage

I think they will have to release a map app soon.

Competition or not Google Maps have lost a lot of users overnight and that effects advertising revenue and also user data that they depend on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I remember reading some analysis from earlier this year that showed that Google made considerably more money from advertising on iOS devices than they do from advertising on Android. Since that's the only way they can make money, it'll be in their own best interests to get a new maps app out asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've reverted to 5.1.1

iOS6 rendered the iPod Touch 4G a nightmare - App Store wouldn't load, podcasts wouldn't stream or download, wifi problems etc.

I'll come back to it in a couple of months, presumably its rollout had to coincide with iPhone5 release, but it appears some way off being stable.

Advertisement