Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving/Learning to swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Tonight I nearly swam a full lenght backstroke at speed (in fact would have had I not lost my concentration knowing I was in the deep end and felt f***ed) proud of myself although it was my 5th lesson at Intermediate level for the 2nd time loving it, brilliant instructor also.

Hi,

I swim 3 or 4 times most weeks & cannot seem to overcome this tech problem:

my left hand is week and when enters the water in front of head it crosses over too far to the right. I try when I entering the water with it to enter it as far left as possible but still when I ask a friend to watch me, the first thing he will say is my left hand is crossing over and going too far right...

Anybody had this problem & how did you over come it....

Also my hips are not flicking fast enough - if they flicked faster - then I thk my hands would rotate faster..

My legs stop kicking when I breath..

Thanks for comments. Kieran

Hi,

I swim 3 or 4 times most weeks & cannot seem to overcome this tech problem:

my left hand is week and when enters the water in front of head it crosses over too far to the right. I try when I entering the water with it to enter it as far left as possible but still when I ask a friend to watch me, the first thing he will say is my left hand is crossing over and going too far right...

Anybody had this problem & how did you over come it....

Also my hips are not flicking fast enough - if they flicked faster - then I thk my hands would rotate faster..

My legs stop kicking when I breath..

Thanks for comments. Kieran

Hey Kieran,

Good to hear your in the thick of it I wish I could get 3 or 4 times a week.

Anyway to the point I feel the same way with my left arm now its actually a good issue to be raising because am thinking both arms need to be strong to propel yourself and I also have that problem with rotating my hips when trying to take breaths seems that your at my stage in learning the freestyle, I know your looking for answers but I feel better that someone like yourself is having the same problem, I don't care what anyone says but learning to swim at a later stage in life can be very difficult at times.

BTW are you taking swim lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cian287

kieran

Get your butt down the the endless pool in ballymount and get sorted, they will put you on the right path in an hour - promise www.base2race.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Some advice please lads...

I have been dragged into doing a triathlon in 5 weeks time. Its a relay team and I am doing the swimming leg - 750m. We are not taking it too competitively. We just want to be able to say that we finished it and didn't embarrass ourselves too much.

Main problem is that I haven't swam since last September. I only ever going swimming at the beach and could have covered that distance no problem back then but its been a long winter!

-whats the best approach to getting fitness reasonably up in that time?
    -I can give 3 nights a week swimming til then for a few hours. is that enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

SeaFields wrote: »
    Some advice please lads...

I have been dragged into doing a triathlon in 5 weeks time. Its a relay team and I am doing the swimming leg - 750m. We are not taking it too competitively. We just want to be able to say that we finished it and didn't embarrass ourselves too much.

Main problem is that I haven't swam since last September. I only ever going swimming at the beach and could have covered that distance no problem back then but its been a long winter!

-whats the best approach to getting fitness reasonably up in that time?
    -I can give 3 nights a week swimming til then for a few hours. is that enough?

How far can you swim at the moment either pool or open water??
    If its 700ish metres/30 lengths of a 25m pool try this.
    It & similar has worked for me & any of my clients I've given it to

If its under 700 metres You'll be struggling to be fit in time...but you can try the 0-700m programme here

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Burkatron wrote: »
    How far can you swim at the moment either pool or open water??

I haven't been swimming yet this year. Its only ever the sea where I go swimming so its usually may to oct. Its not as if I've been sitting on my arse all winter tho. Have been doing a lot of cycling so hopefully that will stand to me. I'll head out on Monday evening and give it a good go and see what distance I'm at.

Thanks very much for those links. Will give it a lash anyway and see how I go. As I said, just aiming to finish it, not too competitive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkiejinkie

Hi Guys, does anyone know of any classes or certificate course to become a Qualified Swim Instructor?, i would be very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hi Guys, does anyone know of any classes or certificate course to become a Qualified Swim Instructor?, i would be very interested.

Contact Swim Ireland.
    Theres a Level one or assistant and once thats completed a Level 2 course.

I bought myself a pair of fins only to discover today that 'Aura' in Drogheda prohibit the use of them whilst in Dundalk they don't, why different policies for the same company anyone?

• Advertisement

francie81 wrote: »
    I bought myself a pair of fins only to discover today that 'Aura' in Drogheda prohibit the use of them whilst in Dundalk they don't, why different policies for the same company anyone?

How big are the fins?? Are they the big mahoosive 1's that scuba divers use or are they small training fins along the lines of Zoggs or zoomers? If it's the latter kick up a fuss over it because its ridiculous! Are you a member of the club? I wont give you my opinion to what I think the reason why is in relation to the Drogheda branch because I'll get banned!!!

How big are the fins?? Are they the big mahoosive 1's that scuba divers use or are they small training fins along the lines of Zoggs or zoomers? If it's the latter kick up a fuss over it because its ridiculous! Are you a member of the club? I wont give you my opinion to what I think the reason why is in relation to the Drogheda branch because I'll get banned!!!

Yeah they are zoomers can't quite understand it myself although when asked the lifeguard did say something like 'they be hitting off other people' now am sure they is a pretty good reason behind it as your saying, but next time am in the Dundalk branch am gonna double check otherwise I'd have wasted my money. Am no member of a club.

Yeah they are zoomers can't quite understand it myself although when asked the lifeguard did say something like 'they be hitting off other people' now am sure they is a pretty good reason behind it as your saying, but next time am in the Dundalk branch am gonna double check otherwise I'd have wasted my money. Am no member of a club.

Thats a brutal reason, zoomers are tiny, you're as likely to kick someone in the face with your foot! Ban people with feet from swimming in that case!

Thats a brutal reason, zoomers are tiny, you're as likely to kick someone in the face with your foot! Ban people with feet from swimming in that case!

Actually sorry am wrong they are the sub aqua ones they are long enough just goes to show how much I know even about it but still can't see how they would hit off people.

I bought myself a pair of fins only to discover today that 'Aura' in Drogheda prohibit the use of them whilst in Dundalk they don't?

With the exception of Supervision/Lessons so I guess the sea it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

That is general Aura policy that applies to all their swimming pools, same as using snorkels, all comes down to health and safety. You have to understand that we are living in times where safety comes first and even when the chances of accident are small pool operators usually decides to prohibit potentially hazardous activity. During my lessons I'm using fins with some students to improve kicking technique and ankles flexibility, several times I had to support some students with regaining standing position as their weren't able to stand up themselves in fins even though they could do it easily without them. Surely if you are experienced swimmer you won't get into trouble but you can't let some people to do something and prohibit others from doing so. If you've managed to get away with using fins in Aura Dundalk then please don't mention it to laud as you will most likely get the lifeguard who let you use them into trouble.

Actually sorry am wrong they are the sub aqua ones they are long enough just goes to show how much I know even about it but still can't see how they would hit off people.

Francie, where did you get these fins from?? Link them or something similar so I (or 1 of the other posters )can have a look at them & make sure they'll give you the correct feedback for your kick. Also at this stage in your progress you'd probably be better off using the fins under supervision. As I said a few times before, fins are great if you kick correctly as they reinforce the technique. If you kick wrong they'll reinforce bad technique which can lead to problems when you take the fins off!

kris71 wrote: »
    If you've managed to get away with using fins in Aura Dundalk then please don't mention it to laud as you will most likely get the lifeguard who let you use them into trouble.

I got it completely wrong your right I was using the fins under supervision in the swimming lessons so that is the obvious exception, I don't mind though because I'll just use them over at the sea.

Thanks Kris for taking the time out appreciate it

Francie, where did you get these fins from?? Link them or something similar so I (or 1 of the other posters )can have a look at them & make sure they'll give you the correct feedback for your kick. Also at this stage in your progress you'd probably be better off using the fins under supervision. As I said a few times before, fins are great if you kick correctly as they reinforce the technique. If you kick wrong they'll reinforce bad technique which can lead to problems when you take the fins off!

Hi Burka

I bought them in 'Argos' as part of the snorkel set they are plastic I think I'd much rather the rubber ones although I haven't used them yet.

Am getting into the pool once a week practicing and I have to say I have come on trumps after experiencing three stages of lessons (Beginner+IntermediateX2) my only real problem that stands in my way is relaxation/confidence with the water last Sunday when I was in the lifeguard was quick to spot that my body was all tenced up and give advice on that but I was alot worse before now, I can do the backstroke no problem although I feel sometimes am trying too hard when doing a lenght so thats not a good sign when it comes to relaxing.

If you kick wrong they'll reinforce bad technique which can lead to problems when you take the fins off!

Burkatron I wont agree with that one, from my experience some people catch the concept of kicking from their hips and keeping they legs long flexible and toes pointed, much faster in the fins, specially kinesthetic learners, fins wont help you at all if you are kicking from your knees or if your feet isn't plantar flex(pointed toes) in fact they can make it more difficult and awkward, so when learners try to achieve proper leg action when they finally do it right they can feel the difference straight away and as their body starts recognizing correct pattern they also start to imprint proper kicking technique.

Francie forget about those fins if they are plastic and you bought them in argos they are most likely toys from china, but go over to argos.ie find the ones you have and let us see as I can be wrong

• Advertisement

Burkatron I wont agree with that one, from my experience some people catch the concept of kicking from their hips and keeping they legs long flexible and toes pointed, much faster in the fins
    Totally agree on this Kris, the active resistance in a proper pair of fins will help build strength & muscle memory in the kick faster then without
    fins wont help you at all if you are kicking from your knees or if your feet isn't plantar flex(pointed toes) in fact they can make it more difficult and awkward
    Not in my experience. I've seen plenty of people who have awful kicks put on a pair of fins & be able to get away with the same horrible technique just the added momentum of the fins let them away with it.

One of my current clients, who I previously coached & had swimming with decent technique decided he was going to use the fins by himself after he had finished with me. He developed a horrible kicking pattern due to this & it's taken about 8 weeks to retrain his legs again.
    Hi Burka

I bought them in 'Argos' as part of the snorkel set they are plastic I think I'd much rather the rubber ones although I haven't used them yet.

Ah, I wouldn't touch them Francie, you'd be much better off with shortblade/training fins like zoomers (blue for the moment),zoggs or Speedo biofuse (there are others aswell). You can get them online from Irishfit.eu or the www.theedge-sports.com in Cork are the 2 suppliers I prefer to use.
    Am getting into the pool once a week practicing and I have to say I have come on trumps after experiencing three stages of lessons (Beginner+IntermediateX2) my only real problem that stands in my way is relaxation/confidence with the water last Sunday when I was in the lifeguard was quick to spot that my body was all tenced up and give advice on that but I was alot worse before now, I can do the backstroke no problem although I feel sometimes am trying too hard when doing a lenght so thats not a good sign when it comes to relaxing.

The only real advice I can give you without seeing your stroke is relaxation & confidence will come with practice. You know yourself at this stage you'll get out of it what you put in!

Not in my experience. I've seen plenty of people who have awful kicks put on a pair of fins & be able to get away with the same horrible technique just the added momentum of the fins let them away with it.

Never seen anything like it but I certainly see your point

Francie - Relaxation can be practiced as well if you believe this is your problem then simply focus on it, shake your arms off and wiggle your head from time to time and keep it in mind that you need to relax and loosen up a bit while practicing

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I've just entered the pool again after many years out, I'm only managing 100mts at the min, and can do 2 lgths without stopping (40mtrs). I'm only doing breastroke as I have a shoulder injury. I'm a confident swimmer and swam competitively as a child. What should I be doing to improve and will I see any benefits (fitness & toning) from just doing breastroke?

On another note, is there an etiquette regarding swimwear? My hubbie doesn't swim but would like to go to the pool with our son, thing is he has bad scars on his stomach and he is quite self conscious about them. is there anything he can wear - I guess an ordinary tshirt would be uncomfortable??

Doing four strokes would be a better idea, does it hurts when you swim?

Buy your hubbie a rash vest and problem will be solved ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Doing four strokes would be a better idea, does it hurts when you swim?

Buy your hubbie a rash vest and problem will be solved ;)

my shoulder hurts to lift it above my head, currently getting treatment for it. Hoping to start some weight training when I get back off hols in a few weeks.
    Never heard of a rash vest - am googling as we 'speak'
    thanks for advice

Consult with your doctor then and ask him if it's safe for you to swim on front and back as well (leave fly for a while ;P ) and most likely he will tell you that it would be even better then weights training. However I'm not a doctor so you have to check with your physiotherapist.

Rash vest are used mainly by surfers, sort of a tight t-shirt designed for water sports. They can be pushed into swim-suit category so no one should bother him while wearing it. Some swimming pools wont let you swim in cotton t-shirt as they require swimsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hi guys.
    I do a fair bit of swimming but i'm terrible at my front crawl. I always get very out of breath after 2 lengths.
    Have you any tips on how to improve it?

Hi ConTheCat

It's very hard to guess without seeing you swimming first but I will give it a shoot ;)

1) You are holding your breath while swimming - If thats the main problem work on breathing out into the water. You wouldn't hold your breath while running, doing so while swimming is even worst
    2) Your body position is far from horizontal - in result your body has to displace more water and overpower stronger resistance while moving through - simply speaking it is much harder to swim thn it should be.

Let me know witch one sounds more like what you are experiencing so I can give you a few tips on how to work on it. It can also be something completely different, if you can ask someone to have a quick look at you - swim teacher/lifeguard would be perfect - and tell you if he can see anything odd ;) would be very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hi ConTheCat

It's very hard to guess without seeing you swimming first but I will give it a shoot ;)

1) You are holding your breath while swimming - If thats the main problem work on breathing out into the water. You wouldn't hold your breath while running, doing so while swimming is even worst
    2) Your body position is far from horizontal - in result your body has to displace more water and overpower stronger resistance while moving through - simply speaking it is much harder to swim thn it should be.

Let me know witch one sounds more like what you are experiencing so I can give you a few tips on how to work on it. It can also be something completely different, if you can ask someone to have a quick look at you - swim teacher/lifeguard would be perfect - and tell you if he can see anything odd ;) would be very helpful

Yeah i think its more the first one, I was tryin to maybe go 4 strokes with my arms before doing a breath and was still gasping for air, maybe I was waiting too long I'm not rally sure :) Yeah I might ask one of the guys working in the pool tomorrow to gave a gawk at me to see whats up. Thanks :D

• Advertisement

Any time ;) btw it can be both of those in the same time as well ;) try breathing every 3 strokes unless you have problems with breathing technique - in that case breath every 2 strokes to your stronger side exhaling strongly into the water to maintain natural breathing pattern.

Advertisement