Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite - Public Beta - July 24th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

dubmick wrote: »
    Accept the terms and conditions on the beta page and you will get link to get the code

Ok, got that.

It appears that the site is over subscribe at this time. Will wait till later and see what happen.

I have partition my drive to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just reformatted & have it restoring at the moment. Long road ahead for me. :(

Anybody have it up and running yet?

airuser wrote: »
    Ok, got that.

It appears that the site is over subscribe at this time. Will wait till later and see what happen.

I have partition my drive to install it.

Have been unable to get on the site. Found an external HD and will install it on that. Might be safe.

When one gets on the download site,. It will take some time to download with the numbers trying for it.

My Son in the States (Raleigh) had said they are having the same problems

Has anyone completed the download as yet?

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Around 4.7gb

Down load 5.7Gb

• Advertisement

Has anyone completed the download as yet?

I did but I was quick off the mark with the download. It finished up quick enough for me. Servers are probably being hit hard at the moment.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I did but I was quick off the mark with the download. It finished up quick enough for me. Servers are probably being hit hard at the moment.

Have you installed it the external HD or to a partition on you Mac"s HD.

Still no access as yet.

BTW. What time dis you get the download?

Got through, but messed it up. Cannot now download the software.

Have you installed it the external HD or to a partition on you Mac"s HD.

Still no access as yet.

BTW. What time dis you get the download?

I had trouble with my install so had to reformat my internal HDD. Still waiting for it to restore so I won't get to try Yosemite till tomorrow.

Anybody getting the code already redeemed message check this link.

Seems like the beta site is down so people might not get the download working.

Have tried the link, no luck.

Will try the other Mac. Failing that try again tomorrow

• Advertisement

Ha! Found it in my purchases , downloading about 50 mins to go. Shall try and put it on external HD.
    Thanks for the help.

Should have said that I could not generate another code. However, reading http://9to5mac.com
    Comments on "Yosemite ", someone suggested trying "purchases" on The App Store. There was the download.

Thanks for the help once more.

Boards.ie come up with the goods once more.

Not a happy punter. Downloaded beta , but would not install. Have tried on a number of times, but no luck. Will have to wait till the release of the real thing.

Gods night

Not a happy punter. Downloaded beta , but would not install. Have tried on a number of times, but no luck. Will have to wait till the release of the real thing.

Gods night

Why wouldn't it install? What was the actual issue?

Not to be defeated I believe that it may have been the external hard drive. We I went back into it, it would appear that nothing was recorded on the drive.
    I have made a partition on the internal hard drive and now trying to install on that.

Also have another iMac and doing the same there.

Must have luck on one or the other.

Have the download file in the Apps folder and can try another Drive.

It all good fun.

Am a total Mac man. Give up PC's about 2004. Never have looked back.

Thanks for the enquiry.

The wife thinks I am mad.

Well, while I was waiting I played "Candy Crush". The OS downloaded and then told me it was installing on the " partitioned drive" and has installed ok. Just now at the creating account. But is stuck there. Gone though various settings.
    Now, into the new system. Excellent.

Now, into feedback.

All ready to go.

Did not transfer any details from existing system. Will have to do one or two. Mail for one. Otherwise, shall did in and out.

DO NOT partition internal HD FOR YOSEMITE . I thought that I could swap over easily. ONE CANNOT. I am now restoring from a back up. Hope all will be ok.

down load to external HD.

That is my experience. Will take several hours to restore. Hoping that I have not lost anything.

Hope others have had a better experience.

Will not install on other computer. Will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I give in. I'm too tempted. Gonna create a restore file and then on with Yosemite!

Edit: That's too much effort this time of night. I know Yosemite will have its bugs, fine with that, but what are the odds of me ending up having to wipe my HD at some point?

DO NOT partition internal HD FOR YOSEMITE . I thought that I could swap over easily. ONE CANNOT. I am now restoring from a back up. Hope all will be ok.

down load to external HD.

That is my experience. Will take several hours to restore. Hoping that I have not lost anything.

Hope others have had a better experience.

Will not install on other computer. Will wait.

I've been in that restore process for the last few hours. Only 90 mins or so left. If I'm still awake I might start the Yosemite install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

has network utility gone can't seem to find it.

My whole system has gone . Hoping now, that there is some of my work on my back up disc.

Thanks be that much of the work can be found else where.

Just now the transfer if any there according to the screen will take 7 hours.

Here's hoping

shanec1928 wrote: »
    has network utility gone can't seem to find it.

You can also open it from Apple menu - About This Mac - More Info which opens System Information... use the Window menu to select Network Utility.

Hope it's there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Hi Guys

Just wondering if i install the public beta, will my files and apps still be saved just like a normal mac os update ? I know it's smart to backup data first which i will do. Thanks

medic087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Just wondering if i install the public beta, will my files and apps still be saved just like a normal mac os update ? I know it's smart to backup data first which i will do. Thanks

If you install it over Mavericks and nothing goes wrong then everything should be the same as it was when you left it. But always have atleast 1 backup of your files.

medic087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Unless all ones data is backed up to external had and you know how to restore from that. I would leave it alone.
    My experience has been a disaster.
    Lost everything. Do not know what happened.
    My Time Capsule was my back up devise. But have been unable for some reason to retire from there.
    Fortunately, some of my data is stored on anther Mac. So I can you that one
    Trying another method, which a fried suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Installed it this morning and everything went flawlessly so far. Installation took about 25 mins on a 2013 rMBP.
    I am liking the look of it so far, and only really had one issue - MplayerX crashes for me when going full screen.
    I mistakenly thought Yosemite included the new Photos app, but I guess we have to wait a while for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Thanks guys. Might leave it then.

fjon wrote: »
    Installed it this morning and everything went flawlessly so far. Installation took about 25 mins on a 2013 rMBP.
    I am liking the look of it so far, and only really had one issue - MplayerX crashes for me when going full screen.
    I mistakenly thought Yosemite included the new Photos app, but I guess we have to wait a while for that.

Great for you.
    Really do not know what happened here. As you say about 30 mins and there it was.
    But as I say my data had disappeared.

Good luck to those you have been successful

• Advertisement

My time machine restore finished up early so I installed Yosemite late last night. First impressions are mostly good, it worked perfectly for the little amount of time I spent on it. It doesn't come with the new iTunes 12 but it's available in the App Store as an update. There's something about the look of Finder that kinda looks dated, but it'll probably grow on me. Seems ok other than that, although some of the icons could be better. Also the old widgets page is still in place, I assumed that would be removed in favour of the new side bar.

Advertisement