Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Risks / costs with car that's been sitting for a few years?

• 28-04-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I friend has, for various reasons, left a very good condition 2006 diesel car sitting for the last 3 years. Its a popular engine, the 1.3cdti. With VERY low miles.

What would be the likely costs encountered in putting that car back on the road? I'm thinking 5 new tyres, maybe the exhaust, flushing of fuel lines, tanks maybe? Plus various seals.

Worth trying to sell 'as is' or best to put back on the road and sell that way?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Brake lines might be perished/discs/pads might be seized, handbrake also?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Belts probably need replacing due to age.
    Also change all fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid).

It won't stop you driving but if the car has air-con it might need re-gassing and possibly a new receiver-drier to get it nice and chilly.

So long as it was parked up on a hard surface and doesn't have vegetation growing up through it to cause rust I'd say go for it if the price is right :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Belts probably need replacing due to age.
    Also change all fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid).

They are chain driven so no need for a belt. But your right the the fluids and what other work that would need doing really depend on how where it was stored the conditions is it damp inside all that kind of stuff. It could need very little other than tyres and a full service fluids change.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

You'll be looking at bushes and drop links too. I had the same with a car off the road for 2 years. It turned into a rattle factory quite quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bpmull wrote: »
    They are chain driven so no need for a belt. But your right the the fluids and what other work that would need doing really depend on how where it was stored the conditions is it damp inside all that kind of stuff. It could need very little other than tyres and a full service fluids change.
    No auxiliary belt(s)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hello,

I friend has, for various reasons, left a very good condition 2006 diesel car sitting for the last 3 years. Its a popular engine, the 1.3cdti. With VERY low miles.

What would be the likely costs encountered in putting that car back on the road? I'm thinking 5 new tyres, maybe the exhaust, flushing of fuel lines, tanks maybe? Plus various seals.

Worth trying to sell 'as is' or best to put back on the road and sell that way?

Get it started, then change oil and filter, get somebody to drive it on trade plates for about 50 miles and get an NCT date,take it from there after NCT report , total investment , about 130 euro , plus maybe a new battery. People overthink lying up cars, even flat bottomed tyres can come good with miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No auxiliary belt(s)?

Oh yep they would actually now that I think of it.

Advertisement