Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Phone

Options
  • 28-09-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Its time to put this old Sony ericsson out to pasture. On the market for a budget smartphone, some recommendations would be great. Heres the details....

What features are important to you in a phone?

Not too bothered about the camera quality. FM Radio and MP3 player would be high on the list. Bluetooth would be useful but not required. Need something that I can access google maps on, easily check the web on.

Form factor Touchscreen preferably but if its out of budget and the other features are available on something else, then I dont mind dropping it.

Internet - Quick enough to browse the web for news, email etc. Wont be downloading anything massive. Wifi is necessary.

Operator - Doesnt matter, but has to be SIM free or prepay

Price range - Want to stay under 100, will stretch to 150 at max.

In summary, ideally Im looking for a touchscreen phone with a decent sized display that I could use to download mp3's, listen to radio on journeys. Quick, usable web browser just for basic browsing and emails. Needs to have WIFI capability.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Maybe have a look at the Lumia 610. Has everything you have asked for, might stretch your budget slightly but an option ii would look at. See how you will the W7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Vodafone have the Lumia 610 for €129 now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vodafone have the Lumia 610 for €129 now

I think its €149, and €20 back on topup but open to correction. Either way can be gotten sim free online for about €170. Price varies slightly for cyan/white/black

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thanks lads, looks like its just what Im after. Might be able to get it abit less on ebay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Actually, theres only a £4 increase for the Lumia 710 over the 610 from Amazon. It seems to be largely the same phone except for a quicker processor, more RAM and worse battery life. Would this be a better option?

The reviews of the 610 are mostly good and not many people have anything bad to say about it performance wise. So I don't know if its worth getting something with a poor battery just for a performance boost which I might not notice anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Agricola wrote: »
    Actually, theres only a £4 increase for the Lumia 710 over the 610 from Amazon. It seems to be largely the same phone except for a quicker processor, more RAM and worse battery life. Would this be a better option?

The reviews of the 610 are mostly good and not many people have anything bad to say about it performance wise. So I don't know if its worth getting something with a poor battery just for a performance boost which I might not notice anyway....
    love my 610, but tis quite slow, get the 710.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

610 is great running system tasks. Internet and all is fast. Just a tad slow when it comes to running apps, due to the slower nature some apps won't even run, where 710 would have no problem and would have a better screen and camera too

Advertisement