Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car dealer going back on his word, need some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lol, back in your pram lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

bazz26 wrote: »
    lol, back in your pram lad.

Are you not remotely interested in seeing the Op get justice, it would appear quite a few people are? Also who is the shady dealer?
    I note the alleged Motor dealer is in your neck of the woods, would expect that you may be interested in the outcome so you may avoid being given the runaround like Op!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

still no update yet :( was told it could take a few weeks so just have to wait an see how it goes. I hope it will be sorted before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

Petey89 wrote: »
    still no update yet :( was told it could take a few weeks so just have to wait an see how it goes. I hope it will be sorted before christmas.

Hope this goes well for you and you get sorted, just wondered about those saying name and shame the seller, is it legal to name companys as bad or fraudulent online, I vaguely remember something about a site being shut down for it before. Anybody know for sure? It would be a thread to start

Hope this goes well for you and you get sorted, just wondered about those saying name and shame the seller, is it legal to name companys as bad or fraudulent online, I vaguely remember something about a site being shut down for it before. Anybody know for sure? It would be a thread to start
    Its not going so good at the min, the court got there post back from the garage saying "gates locked no letter box" so now i could have to get a judge to let them serve it another way besides registered post. its just not going well at the min.
    I know a lot of people want to name and shame dont think it is illegal to say where i bought it and what they did, it would just be like a review of the place really.

• Advertisement

not naming and shaming here just letting people know where I bought the car and what happened.
    I bought it in<snip> just outside limerick city. He is still trading and still offering warranties on his cars on his donedeal adverts Im not saying you shouldnt buy a car from here but if you do you better make sure you get everything in writing and get a mechanic to look at it. After I bought mine I found out that most things on the add was not true. He failed to stand by the warranty after the car broke down 6 weeks after I bought it.
    I also found out the car was never serviced when I was told by the sales man that it was, after I paid 2000 for the car its cost me a futher 700 or more on repairs and servicing.
    Buyer Beware!!

not naming and shaming here just letting people know where I bought the car and what happened.
    I bought it in<snip> just outside limerick city. He is still trading and still offering warranties on his cars on his donedeal adverts Im not saying you shouldnt buy a car from here but if you do you better make sure you get everything in writing and get a mechanic to look at it. After I bought mine I found out that most things on the add was not true. He failed to stand by the warranty after the car broke down 6 weeks after I bought it.
    I also found out the car was never serviced when I was told by the sales man that it was, after I paid 2000 for the car its cost me a futher 700 or more on repairs and servicing.
    Buyer Beware!!

Sorry to hear that progress has been stalled. With the gates locked , is there a chance he has gone out of business? The cars he is selling on Done Deal, are they from his business premises or home address. Perhaps the papers could be served to him at his home address. Stay focused, do not let him off the hook.
    Best Regards

Sorry to hear that progress has been stalled. With the gates locked , is there a chance he has gone out of business? The cars he is selling on Done Deal, are they from his business premises or home address. Perhaps the papers could be served to him at his home address. Stay focused, do not let him off the hook.
    Best Regards
    he is still trading from his business premises, its not his home address i dunno how to get that, im guna try and keep it going the courts are being very helpful, so hopefuly i will get something back.

he is still trading from his business premises, its not his home address i dunno how to get that, im guna try and keep it going the courts are being very helpful, so hopefuly i will get something back.

Any news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Any news?
    Yeah, here's some, it's a 2k car and it needed €700 servicing and repairs. Pretty run of the mill and the Central Bank have not had to kick off quantative easing as a result. FFS, I've bought 6k yokes that needed more. A good wipe-out on an electric wing mirror could lead to a bigger bill. Big thread, courts, war, over €700. Four decent tyres run to more ffs. Much ado about nothing IMO.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    Yeah, here's some, it's a 2k car and it needed €700 servicing and repairs. Pretty run of the mill and the Central Bank have not had to kick off quantative easing as a result. FFS, I've bought 6k yokes that needed more. A good wipe-out on an electric wing mirror could lead to a bigger bill. Big thread, courts, war, over €700. Four decent tyres run to more ffs. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Everything is relative.

Everything is relative.
    If this was my relative, I'd tell him to get over it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

the done deal add means nothing.i recently purchased a car advertised on the net with a three month warranty.
    i got a large discount on the deal when i agreed to buy the car without warranty.

you may have got wires crossed with the seller while haggling op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

I think its a matter of principle.

After all, it could have as easily been a "6k yoke with more" and the dealer go back on his word.

It could just as easily have happened to you or me.

I respect your opinion , just as I respect the opinion of Petey 89.

Are you a car trader?

After all, it could have as easily been a "6k yoke with more" and the dealer go back on his word.

Lol. I've binned more piles of sh1te than I care to think about. Life is too short, not worth the aggro. Probably just me, but when I buy ANYTHING used, i assume the seller is a crook and the yoke is a pile of dirt I will have to fix. Somtimes I get a nice surprise, somtimes. Del, I'm not dissing you or Pete, but really, in the scheme of things, €700, fs, build a bridge man. No Del, I'm not a trader, i just run an awful lot of yokes, and usually one is bust or needs a service. Daily.

Agree it is a matter of principle here It is not the amount involved, whether€700,
    €2000 or €6000? I am sure no one is losing sleep over it, however to hear that this cowboy trader gets what is due to him, will go some way towards helping the consumer and motor trade develop a better relationship

Agree it is a matter of principle here It is not the amount involved, whether€700,
    €2000 or €6000? I am sure no one is losing sleep over it, however to hear that this cowboy trader gets what is due to him, will go some way towards helping the consumer and motor trade develop a better relationship
    No Del this whole thread is a reality fail. if a dealer is selling a vehicle for €2k, here's the reality, it's knackered crap. There is just not enough margin/room to mark up/margin for a warranty claim/room to give a sh1t on a 2k car for a dealer. Below 2k, it's going to Hammond lane IRL. If I go into a dealer and buy a 2k car, I have to realise a few things. 1.It's older and cheap. 2.It needs/will soon need maintenance which is my problem. And it could well be costly. Which €700 isn't. Also, I get waaay more p1ssed when VW or Merc turn around and say "we've never seen that problem before Sir" when it's a 4 month old vehicle you just forked out 40k for and then fight tooth and nail to prove it's the buyers fault. Or 11 million, as one client of mine has just done. Who is the bigger cowboy??

BTW, the real fault here is stupidity, sorry to put it so bluntly. The dealer was stupid on several levels, mainly in thinking he could sell a car for 2k, offer no warranty(yeah right) and ignore/dismiss the problem/ actually make a living selling 2k cars. The buyer was naive/unrealistic/foolish? in thinking he was smarter than all the people driving 20k cars and would get reliable/cost free motoring for just 2k while all the others paid more. Buy cheap, service and repair. Buy dear and get/expect real dealer backup tends to be a rule.

gambithh wrote: »
    the done deal add means nothing.i recently purchased a car advertised on the net with a three month warranty.
    i got a large discount on the deal when i agreed to buy the car without warranty.

you may have got wires crossed with the seller while haggling op
    No wires crossed the car was bought with a 3 month warranty i wasnt buying it other wise.
    And i know 700 mightnt be much to some people but its quite a lot to me as i had to pay it on a credit card and still trying to pay it off. I only had to pay 25 euro to small claims court and it could go on for months yet. but I want something back for this or just even let people know what hes like, hes still advertising car with 3 months warranty and probably has no intention of commiting to that if something happens within those 3 months.

No Del this whole thread is a reality fail. if a dealer is selling a vehicle for €2k, here's the reality, it's knackered crap. There is just not enough margin/room to mark up/margin for a warranty claim/room to give a sh1t on a 2k car for a dealer. Below 2k, it's going to Hammond lane IRL. If I go into a dealer and buy a 2k car, I have to realise a few things. 1.It's older and cheap. 2.It needs/will soon need maintenance which is my problem. And it could well be costly. Which €700 isn't. Also, I get waaay more p1ssed when VW or Merc turn around and say "we've never seen that problem before Sir" when it's a 4 month old vehicle you just forked out 40k for and then fight tooth and nail to prove it's the buyers fault. Or 11 million, as one client of mine has just done. Who is the bigger cowboy??

Trust me, I have been in the position of your client on more than one occasion with new premium brand cars. I am not excusing cowboy behaviour in new car Dealerships. The principle should be the same . As I said earlier it is all relative. The motor industry has a very poor image. Whether someone buys a car for € €2000 or €40000, the customer should be treated fairly and respectfully. Appreciate fully that one has to be realistic in their expectations. In this case the garage should have given the money back, rather than getting a judgment made against him in the small claims court.

• Advertisement

its typical irish to just say just leave it its not worth the fight, well im kind of sick of that s***, and i will fight for what im owed, that car was under 3 months warranty it should have been covered im not guna let him off with screwing me over. f*** that il get my money back

Trust me, I have been in the position of your client on more than one occasion with new premium brand cars. I am not excusing cowboy behaviour in new car Dealerships. The principle should be the same . As I said earlier it is all relative. The motor industry has a very poor image. Whether someone buys a car for € €2000 or €40000, the customer should be treated fairly and respectfully. Appreciate fully that one has to be realistic in their expectations. In this case the garage should have given the money back, rather than getting a judgment made against him in the small claims court.
    Fundamentally, I agree with you. If it was me, Pete would have got his money back as it is just dumb to screw a customer, long term. Far better to refund, repair and re-sell. But also, Arthur Daleys getting on a bit at this stage and there's a certain lesson to be learnt. Pete, i've actually zero sympathy for you tbh, you didn't get a warranty in writing, you bought a cheap car and it needs work(what a surprise) and you are struggling to pay the costs of running what you'd like to run. What do you expect? Really??

Guys,
    What make and model are we concerned about here?

Fundamentally, I agree with you. If it was me, Pete would have got his money back as it is just dumb to screw a customer, long term. Far better to refund, repair and re-sell. But also, Arthur Daleys getting on a bit at this stage and there's a certain lesson to be learnt. Pete, i've actually zero sympathy for you tbh, you didn't get a warranty in writing, you bought a cheap car and it needs work(what a surprise) and you are struggling to pay the costs of running what you'd like to run. What do you expect? Really??
    I obviously bought the car from a dealer because i thought if something went wrong id have some come back, one of the reasons i bought it is because it had a warranty and it was a nice car not a rust bucket riddled with problems, I dont care what you think to be honest, I am right to fight for what im owed. And i wasnt expecting to have to pay a futher 700 on repairs because obviously i didnt have that, We cant all afford a new merc or vw or whatever it is your driving

I obviously bought the car from a dealer because i thought if something went wrong id have some come back, one of the reasons i bought it is because it had a warranty and it was a nice car not a rust bucket riddled with problems, I dont care what you think to be honest, I am right to fight for what im owed. And i wasnt expecting to have to pay a futher 700 on repairs because obviously i didnt have that, We cant all afford a new merc or vw or whatever it is your driving
    I drive a 98 primera, because I can fully afford it:) I can also afford a 2013 merc or 6, but who needs that grief? Next time, buy private Pete and save 1000 which you can then spend on repairs. Offer it up and move on. Nothing schnide meant by that, just reality. I also get slagged endlessly for what I drive.

Guys,
    What make and model are we concerned about here?
    Opel Astra

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I drive a 98 primera, because I can fully afford it:) I can also afford a 2013 merc, but who needs that grief? Next time, buy private Pete and save 1000 which you can then spend on repairs. Offer it up and move on. Nothing schnide meant by that, just reality.

If I bought an old tv for 5% of its original price I wouldn't expect much of a comeback either.
    Then again the dealer offered, that's the annoying bit for the OP I suspect

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If I bought an old tv for 5% of its original price I wouldn't expect much of a comeback either.
    Then again the dealer offered, that's the annoying bit for the OP I suspect
    Jasus Colm, I agree, but it's a bit like being surprised when a puppy wees on the carpet, it's car dealers, and low end cars we're talking about.

I agree with Pottler, I would not take a present of a New Merc.
    Anyhow , the Ops Astra @ €2000, I guess 2002.? Surely if the dealer sold it with a warranty, he was getting a fair market price for the car. There was nothing faulty about Petes money. Whomever the dealer is , in my opinion is a fool.
    One of my reasons for logging into this thread on a regular basis was in the hope that Peter would have been refunded his money.
    Equally I sincerely hoped that if the dealer in question read boards that he may have enough cop on to reach an agreement with Peter to either refund the money or replace the car.
    Doing business with people can be the easiest thing in the world, if a little common sense is applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

It goes to show how some of these chancers go on.

Friend of mine had trouble gettin a dealer to replace a centre console switch
    which he later bought and had fitted for €3.

Best of luck getting your money back, but id say you have some fight
    ahead of you.

Advertisement