Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people like Eastenders???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Good point I suppose that is a little sad when I think about that they are missing. But then again, ignorance is bliss no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I don't see a problem as long as I don't have to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Home & Away is feckin deadly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

syklops wrote: »
    Well I watch Star trek too. And it has a never ending storyline of sorts. I am not saying its exactly the same as Eastenders but by the above definition it is a soap.

But each episode of Star Trek, barring two parters, will reach a definitive conclusion. But you can watch just one episode on it's own without too much confusion.

I think it's thanks to shows like Babylon 5 that you now have running story arcs in most drama series now.

I suppose you could apply the term Space Opera to most long running science fiction shows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

But each episode of Star Trek, barring two parters, will reach a definitive conclusion. But you can watch just one episode on it's own without too much confusion.

I think it's thanks to shows like Babylon 5 that you now have running story arcs in most drama series now.

I suppose you could apply the term Space Opera to most long running science fiction shows though.

Space Opera. Love it.

I think the idea of each episode standing alone is part of the distinction. You can watch Star Trek/Friends episodes out of sequence and they still work. Not true for Coronation Street and its ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People still watch TV?

Christ lads, move on.

Friends
    Lost
    Prison Break
    CSI
    The X files

None of those shows are anything like "Soaps" either though.

And my early post wasn't just about how each episode is constantly "to be continued". I talking more about how it hooks people with all these constant mini cliff hangers that happen throughout a single episode. So indeed a whole episode is all based around "what happens next" as each mini story is spread apart through out the episode forcing people to watch other story lines they are not so much interested in.
    I'm also talking about how the story line doesn't have to be good, it just has to be constantly switching to other story lines at points where who ever watching might want to see what happens next, even if that person thinks the story is stupid.

It's like a bad joke but people will wanna hear the punchline anyway since they've sat through so much already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Auvers wrote: »
    It was possibly one of the finest TV shows EVER :D and it also had the added bonus of a bit of nudity from time to time :) beat that Eastenders!!

I loved the Egyptian sun Goddess epsoide & the neo Nazis hunting for some yolk to resurrect Hitler

I'm glad I'm not the only one who holds a special place in their heart for it...

Yeah... I think there was a long running storyline about Ava Braun's necklace... and you had lesbian neo-nazi's armed with laser beams.

Can't find any clips on YouTube unfortunetly... but I have just ordered 3 volumes of the series on DVD from Australia...

WTF that show doesn't sound anything like a soap, it sounds more like pure insanity! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Oh dear already brought down to the level of Startrek.

I've really gotten into Eastenders lately, since Bianca has been back. The acting is excellant. Still watch Hollyoaks for some reason. Neighbours/Home and Away I'm unfortunately never about for them. Each time I watch the Aussie ones half the cast is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    None of those shows are anything like "Soaps" either though.

And my early post wasn't just about how each episode is constantly "to be continued". I talking more about how it hooks people with all these constant mini cliff hangers that happen throughout a single episode. So indeed a whole episode is all based around "what happens next" as each mini story is spread apart through out the episode forcing people to watch other story lines they are not so much interested in.
    I'm also talking about how the story line doesn't have to be good, it just has to be constantly switching to other story lines at points where who ever watching might want to see what happens next, even if that person thinks the story is stupid.

It's like a bad joke but people will wanna hear the punchline anyway since they've sat through so much already

If your telling me that doesn't sound like an episode of Lost, then one of us is delusional. I used to be a lost fan. Now I just watch it so I can prove to myself, that I did not waste all those hours watching it, and all that bandwidth downloading it.

Advertisement