Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Location/lifestyle or career?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Well I am in the Navy so my location/lifestyle and career are all going to be sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, my folks were all set up in Dundrum (which I believe is your neck of the woods, or near it anyway - could be wrong) and decided in the mid 70s to move to Cork!!! :eek:
    My dad's from Cork and I count my blessings they didn't move to where my mum's from - Meath.
    Yep, you're right in saying that Dundrum is my neck of the woods alright :)

You should be kicking them for moving tbh, the house prices in Dundrum have soared!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I was career focused for a few years. Earning good, but not happy. Now I live in New Zealand, less pay, but much better life stlye and a new job.

Rabies is happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Did the career thing, earned the money etc. Tossed it after 20 years.

Now, all about quality of life, 9-5 Mon-Fri, pay the bills & sod the rest. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

while I would like to have a good career and be in a job where I felt I made a difference and did some good.

My life, health and family are the most important things,always.

I wouls quit work in the morning to be with them if I had the means

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oilrig wrote: »
    Now, all about quality of life, 9-5 Mon-Fri, pay the bills & sod the rest. :cool:
    Yeah, finishing at 5, not taking an iota of work with me and being home before 5.30... utter bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

career ftw.

the place im working in now, you get a cake for 30 years service!
    its well worth signing your life away for!
    i mean, a CAKE! with icing!

and a photo of you cutting the cake with a plastic knife!!

how great is that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Affable wrote: »
    Do you prioritize location/lifestyle most or career?

Questions, questions, always with the questions...

Are you writing a book Affable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Rabies wrote: »
    I was career focused for a few years. Earning good, but not happy. Now I live in New Zealand, less pay, but much better life stlye and a new job.

Rabies is happy :)

Agreed. I recently took quite a big paycut to work in NZ, but it was well worth it, and my quality of life and standard of living was much better than when I lived in ireland/UK.

I'm now in Australia. Again, I've taken a paycut, but the lifestyle is so much better than back at home.

Money is fine. But if you're leaving your house in the morning when it's dark,and coming home when it's dark, too exhausted to care how much you've been paid, then it's not worth ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Money is fine. But if you're leaving your house in the morning when it's dark,and coming home when it's dark, too exhausted to care how much you've been paid, then it's not worth ****.

That's exactly how I feel. Makes such a difference when you get up in the morning to be greeted by sunshine that you know is going to last all day and still be there waiting for you when you get home. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ditto, I live in Australia too, my lifestyle is connected to my job and the 2 are intertwined in such a way as thet I couldnt imagine one without the other.

have had full on 'career' type jobs before, didnt mind that too much either.

Have to Laugh at some of the comments from the obviously younger posters, yes of course Rb_ie you will just finish college and there will be a raft of companies all offerin you different versions of your dream job, juist like you imagined. thatys how it worked for the rest of us

Moonbaby wrote: »
    :eek: your one of those!

~Spits and feverently crosses herself~

When the armageddon comes I'm offering up Student academic administration first!
    Well, for an extremely cushie job that starts at 9.15 and has me out the door at 5 with a 70-minute lunch break (and the hours are flexible), pretty good pay and plenty of prospects/variety, that's a risk I'm willing to take :)
    flanum wrote: »
    career ftw.

the place im working in now, you get a cake for 30 years service!
    its well worth signing your life away for!
    i mean, a CAKE! with icing!

and a photo of you cutting the cake with a plastic knife!!

how great is that?
    That's pretty darn sweet (literally and metaphorically). I mean, where I work, if it's your birthday, YOU have to bring in a cake. My birthday is next Sunday so that's me screwed financially for the rest of next week...
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel. Makes such a difference when you get up in the morning to be greeted by sunshine that you know is going to last all day and still be there waiting for you when you get home.
    Well eh... it's sunny in Cork at the moment so boo hiss...
    Honestly, this isn't jealousy but while I do like the sun shining, I absolutely fuppin' hate intense heat. Days and days on end of it would really grind my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Work to live, not live to work!

so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah, finishing at 5, not taking an iota of work with me and being home before 5.30... utter bliss.

Still in college but I'd prefer to work in area that I would want to bring home. so a little bit of both i guess. wouldn't want to work in a job where i'm working for the sake of my lifestyle, nor would i want to work just for the sake of having a good career/prospects or what have you. I see the two as hand in hand, not a trade off.

Sometimes it's not possible to get the two though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sometimes it's not possible to get the two though.

meh... i dunno. I hear a lot of people say that but most still have options open to them that they are blind to for whatever individual reasons. we'll wait and see what life throws at me, and if i' still ringing the same tune or not in the next 10 years. but today i don't see why not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Well eh... it's sunny in Cork at the moment so boo hiss...
    Honestly, this isn't jealousy but while I do like the sun shining, I absolutely fuppin' hate intense heat. Days and days on end of it would really grind my gears.

I agree. Heat is overrated. South of England has a great climate.

meh... i dunno. I hear a lot of people say that but most still have options open to them that they are blind to for whatever individual reasons. we'll wait and see what life throws at me, and if i' still ringing the same tune or not in the next 10 years. but today i don't see why not...
    Not true in my case. My dream job would be radio presenting and writing. I tried for several years to establish a career in same and it just did not work out. There really is nothing else I'd love to do. So now I have to move on to plan B, which is administration. Not exactly exciting but that's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Not true in my case. My dream job would be radio presenting and writing. I tried for several years to establish a career in same and it just did not work out. There really is nothing else I'd love to do. So now I have to move on to plan B, which is administration. Not exactly exciting but that's just the way it is.

What about popping out babies like a baler? Thats a good job for a wimmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Interesting. I'm going to start learning to be a broadcast engineer for radio.
    Want to get into the industry.

You found it very competitive, hard to get in?

• Advertisement

The following thread should contain some answers for you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284424

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Overheal wrote: »
    Well if you consider college a step on the career ive chosen career first.

I would only consider college being a step on the ladder as much as primary school and secondary school are. After four years of my course, there's no chance of me going into the sector for at least 5 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

i have chosen location & lifestyle over career-not sure i have made the best choice, not really using my degrees etc. & dont like my job at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hell yeah career!my own apartment/car,all the stuffs i dream of,i can go wherever i want!especially when you get to the sorta adviser/high position in the job(around 30~40+),you dont work that much already,fly anywhere you want,build the perfect family you want .simply ,do whatever you dream of

since i am from the country with 365days HOT tropical weather and i can bear with cold,i can live with any weather...:D

thats why i always do my best in everything at the moment,no matter what it costs.(of course health is taken care very good,not selling my kidney etc)i knew that if i dont fcking work hard now ,i wont have that much of chances when i get older.cause' one way or another,you gonna pay anyway,why not do the bitter part now and enjoy later?

i am so not looking at my friend's BMW while i am struggling to keep my rent pay on time....

yup,currently a naive college student :)you will have to pay for your dreams,do my dreams worth all the sacrifices?of course they do

seraphimvc wrote: »
    hell yeah career!my own apartment/car,all the stuffs i dream of,i can go wherever i want!especially when you get to the sorta adviser/high position in the job(around 30~40+),you dont work that much already,fly anywhere you want,build the perfect family you want .simply ,do whatever you dream of
    Sadly you wouldn't be living that kind of lifestyle on 30-40K.

Advertisement