Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housemates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

My house mates are like total wreckheads. Their always on at me to clean my room. Forever asking me to do things around the house, eespecially annoying when i'm trying to watch countdown or home and away and neighbours or weakest link after school. And now it's summer they're on at me to mow the lawn i mean FFS i have email and bebo to check up on. And the bastards are always lecturing me when i ask em for money when i want to go out on a thursday friday and saturday night.

Fish behind the radiator FTW

• DanGerMus wrote: »
    My house mates are like total wreckheads. Their always on at me to clean my room. Forever asking me to do things around the house, eespecially annoying when i'm trying to watch countdown or home and away and neighbours or weakest link after school. And now it's summer they're on at me to mow the lawn i mean FFS i have email and bebo to check up on. And the bastards are always lecturing me when i ask em for money when i want to go out on a thursday friday and saturday night.

Fish behind the radiator FTW

Are you talking about your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

:rolleyes:

• DanGerMus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Aha. Thought so. Hours in the sun has fried my brain somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

A friend of mine from college ended up in a room with a guy in his course. For the first few weeks all was good until they started drinking and what-not.

His Roomie was a FREAK when he drank......he would sit up in the bed just staring blankly and talking to himself. When my pal found a bottle of Chloroform in your mans Press he started to really worry!!

How could you sleep in the same room as this guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Are you talking about your parents?

God I hope so! :D

Don't really have any horror stories about the people I've lived with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lived in Carrick on Shannon for a couple of years. Nice house, nice people for the most part. But because most of the town work in the MBNA call centre you can expect to live with at least 3 of them at any one time, so expect a lot of converstions to revolve around the place and the people that work there.

Anyway... there was a girl of 18 living with us at the time, we were all early to mid 20s, she had moved into Carrick to repeat the leaving cert. Spent most of her days on the couch watching home and away, ricki lake, oprah etc etc. Used to waffle on about how great she was at every subject but couldn't understand how poor her grades were, used to be annoying me then for grinds (I'm a teacher) as a result of missing so much school. She NEVER washed herself or her clothes and the smell from her room even with the door closed was unbelieveable. Her mother used to drop in with food for her every now and again and would give her things like a cooked leg of lamb which she would then leave in a press instead of the fridge for about a fortnight until you started investigating what the smell in kitchen was and it would start talking to you when you found it in the press. She would still be eating it at this stage.

The houseowner lived with us and she found one of these mysterious pieces of meat one day in the press so she gave some to her dog, who promptly coughed it back up, gave her a dirty look as if to say 'are you trying to poison me?' We were fully expecting to find her lying dead on the kitchen floor someday with a two week old joint half eaten lying beside her. It wasn't like she couldn't afford food, but she did have bizarre ideas about storing it.

The house I lived in previous to that had some pretty strange characters in it too. One guy was on the dole, and had moved to Leitrim because he reckoned that it was the cheapest county to live in on the dole. I can kinda see the logic in that. But he was very strange. More or less a hermit. I was living in the house for a fortnight before I saw him, he rarely left his room, and ate at odd times to avoid us. He had a computer but we had no telephone or internet connection, so spending at least 20 hours a day in a room that was no more than 9 x 9 probably isn't too healthy and there wasn't much to do all day.

He used to bring home crates of tins of beans and peas and various other tinned foods from the supermarket. He would then have them arranged perfectly in the press (Sleeping with the Enemy style) and every now and again, he would rant at us that we had stolen one of his tins (which we hadn't) and he knew because one of them was moved a bit. Even if it was something that none of us liked. So there were plenty of silly conversations of the type
    'You stole my tin of peas'
    'No I didn't, I don't even like peas'
    'Yes, you did, it had to be you, who else could it be?'
    'Maybe you just miscounted and you forgot you ate a tin last wednesday'
    'But there were 20 there earlier and now there's only 19' etc etc etc

... and other silly stuff of that nature. That's not even the tip of the iceberg where he was concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

woman are the messiest slob's to live with.

QFT

• Her mother used to drop in with food for her every now and again and would give her things like a cooked leg of lamb which she would then leave in a press instead of the fridge for about a fortnight until you started investigating what the smell in kitchen was and it would start talking to you when you found it in the press. She would still be eating it at this stage.

The houseowner lived with us and she found one of these mysterious pieces of meat one day in the press so she gave some to her dog, who promptly coughed it back up, gave her a dirty look as if to say 'are you trying to poison me?'
    LOL

When I was a studant, I shared a house and one of the housemates used to leave the toilet paper on the windowsill to use again. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

LOL

When I was a studant, I shared a house and one of the housemates used to leave the toilet paper on the windowsill to use again. :eek:

Culchies tbh,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

in my 21 years of renting since i left the nest, i think ive encountered every type of housemate, my favourite being a lad i shared with in dundalk when we were both doing our apprenticeship block releases. he had a crappy 125 bike (yammy i think) and i used to pillion to classes with him. we finally got the hand of going the full way up the stairs on the bike in the evenings right up to the flat door. me standing up on the cissy bar leaning right over his shoulder/him lying over the handlebars, lots of noise and smoke up the stairwell!
    the other apartment dwellers in the building never really talked to us much, cant figure out why?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Me a carnivore used to share a house with 3 Vegetarians many years ago, they were so strick on what pots & pans I could use to cook "dead animals" all the pots & pans were mine anyway!

There was war over who was using the most bog roll... their diet of lentils I reckoned warranted the most usage... but they wouldn't buy any at all or kept their roll hidden in their rooms

The fcukers used to eat all my butter eventhough there was a "Dead animal" shelf in the fridge for my stuff, i sorted that out eventually by placing a slice of ham under the wrapper of the butter & funnilly enough they never touched it again!!:D

As a parting gift to them I melted a block of lard into the deep fat fryer along with the vegetable oil blocks etc.... They never even noticed!!!!!:D

• TomCo wrote: »
    Culchies tbh,
    Welsh ones ;) baaa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ha, ye have it easy.

I share an apartment with 10 other people, which include a proud loyalist, an obsessively/annoyingly tidy lad, a ridiculously messy girl, a party crazy girl, the quietest man in the world, a chinese girl who invites her million friend over to cook spices that burn your throat from across the room, an older guy from Jordan, a guy from Derry who I cant understand and a girl the rest of us think is a serial killer..........to name but a few....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ha, ye have it easy.

I share an apartment with 10 other people, which include a proud loyalist, an obsessively/annoyingly tidy lad, a ridiculously messy girl, a party crazy girl, the quietest man in the world, a chinese girl who invites her million friend over to cook spices that burn your throat from across the room, an older guy from Jordan, a guy from Derry who I cant understand and a girl the rest of us think is a serial killer..........to name but a few....

Cultural diversity at least

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ha, ye have it easy.

Lock them in a room with the serial killer and wait 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Lock them in a room with the serial killer and wait 48 hours

A proud loyalist and a serial killer in the same house :eek: I'd be sleeping with one eye open and a shotgun under the pillow

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ha, ye have it easy.

i would swap any of them to be honest for the wagon that i live with. we had a house party a few weeks ago and everybody that was at it just could not getover what a pig she was.

in my first year in college, i had to share a room with the biggest freak ever. he used to "make love" to the bed, yes,thats right. he would be asleep and then start making very weird noises. i actually paid for him to move out into a different single room and paid somebody else the difference in the rent to move in, thats how bad he was. one of the girls actually checked his bed clothes and lets just say they were some "love stains" on there:eek::eek:! he never washed himself and it took him 8 months to realise that we had electric showers in the house. his new room was a no go area for months as the smell coming from the room was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lived in Carrick on Shannon for a couple of years. Nice house, nice people for the most part. But because most of the town work in the MBNA call centre you can expect to live with at least 3 of them at any one time, so expect a lot of converstions to revolve around the place and the people that work there.

Anyway... there was a girl of 18 living with us at the time, we were all early to mid 20s, she had moved into Carrick to repeat the leaving cert. Spent most of her days on the couch watching home and away, ricki lake, oprah etc etc. Used to waffle on about how great she was at every subject but couldn't understand how poor her grades were, used to be annoying me then for grinds (I'm a teacher) as a result of missing so much school. She NEVER washed herself or her clothes and the smell from her room even with the door closed was unbelieveable. Her mother used to drop in with food for her every now and again and would give her things like a cooked leg of lamb which she would then leave in a press instead of the fridge for about a fortnight until you started investigating what the smell in kitchen was and it would start talking to you when you found it in the press. She would still be eating it at this stage.

The houseowner lived with us and she found one of these mysterious pieces of meat one day in the press so she gave some to her dog, who promptly coughed it back up, gave her a dirty look as if to say 'are you trying to poison me?' We were fully expecting to find her lying dead on the kitchen floor someday with a two week old joint half eaten lying beside her. It wasn't like she couldn't afford food, but she did have bizarre ideas about storing it.

The house I lived in previous to that had some pretty strange characters in it too. One guy was on the dole, and had moved to Leitrim because he reckoned that it was the cheapest county to live in on the dole. I can kinda see the logic in that. But he was very strange. More or less a hermit. I was living in the house for a fortnight before I saw him, he rarely left his room, and ate at odd times to avoid us. He had a computer but we had no telephone or internet connection, so spending at least 20 hours a day in a room that was no more than 9 x 9 probably isn't too healthy and there wasn't much to do all day.

He used to bring home crates of tins of beans and peas and various other tinned foods from the supermarket. He would then have them arranged perfectly in the press (Sleeping with the Enemy style) and every now and again, he would rant at us that we had stolen one of his tins (which we hadn't) and he knew because one of them was moved a bit. Even if it was something that none of us liked. So there were plenty of silly conversations of the type
    'You stole my tin of peas'
    'No I didn't, I don't even like peas'
    'Yes, you did, it had to be you, who else could it be?'
    'Maybe you just miscounted and you forgot you ate a tin last wednesday'
    'But there were 20 there earlier and now there's only 19' etc etc etc

... and other silly stuff of that nature. That's not even the tip of the iceberg where he was concerned.

lol
    i sorted that out eventually by placing a slice of ham under the wrapper of the butter & funnilly enough they never touched it again!!:D

LOL

LOL :D:D:D Ever think of installing a few cameras in the house? Big Brother tbh :pac:

This thread is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Once lived with a total nut case , she was a total cock tease to any fella that walked near the house for one , she'd bring her mates around and party in the sitting room all night, I once woke up to two of them having sex on my Buddha bag, wasn't happy about this at all. I'm convinced she poisend my bearded dragon, was out one day and when i got back he was really sick and she was the only one in, found what looked like shake and vack all over his cage, asked her had she hoovered she said no...had her out a few days later...the lizard died that night...poor baby, she had a thing against them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

janeybabe wrote: »
    I've pretty much decided that however annoying my housemate is, it's a hell of a lot more entertaining to try to guess what she's about to do next. She's a tool and has no excuse because she has lived away from home for years.

Although I tend to get back at my housemate by making her feel thoroughly guilty for being a useless, unhygienic tool, with a housemate of 35 who is that freaking annoying I would focus on the fact that she is single and make her feel bad about it. (This only works if she actually cares that she's single, which she might not.)

Failing that I would hide a load of dirty dishes somewhere in her room and let the smell slowly drive her away.

jesus are trying to make her jump off a bridge or something??
    My housemate put a cup of beans in the fridge a few weeks ago, they spilled, she put them back in the cup and left it uncovered in the fridge for 2 weeks. They got dry and horrible looking and started to go mouldy. She ate them 2 days ago.

after reading the rest of the thread maybe you right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Leave a post-it on her door saying the hospital called and her parents are dead

I laughed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Imani Delightful Sailboat

I actually get on okay with all four of mine, even living with one of them again next year! There's one who's a bit annoying, eats people's food, (and eats incredibly loudly), plus she can't seem to ever understand anything that's happening on the telly and asks questions the whole way through every programme. She's funny though so w/e. And there's one who's very clean, she comes in of an evening, stares at the massive pile of pots pans, take away cartons, papers, socks, bottles, cans and the general detritus that makes a house a home. Then she cleans up really noisily, sighing dying the whole way even though she should really know by now that it's only goin to be messy again by the next day. And the time she took a swig out of a glass only to discover it had been appropriated by someone to be used as an ashtray....she was FURIOUS. I don't know why she doesn't just rinse out empty plastic glasses to drink out of like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Once lived with a total nut case , she was a total cock tease to any fella that walked near the house for one , she'd bring her mates around and party in the sitting room all night, I once woke up to two of them having sex on my Buddha bag, wasn't happy about this at all. I'm convinced she poisend my bearded dragon, was out one day and when i got back he was really sick and she was the only one in, found what looked like shake and vack all over his cage, asked her had she hoovered she said no...had her out a few days later...the lizard died that night...poor baby, she had a thing against them..

that sucks. Bearded Dragons are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I actually get on okay with all four of mine, even living with one of them again next year! There's one who's a bit annoying, eats people's food, (and eats incredibly loudly), plus she can't seem to ever understand anything that's happening on the telly and asks questions the whole way through every programme. She's funny though so w/e. And there's one who's very clean, she comes in of an evening, stares at the massive pile of pots pans, take away cartons, papers, socks, bottles, cans and the general detritus that makes a house a home. Then she cleans up really noisily, sighing dying the whole way even though she should really know by now that it's only goin to be messy again by the next day. And the time she took a swig out of a glass only to discover it had been appropriated by someone to be used as an ashtray....she was FURIOUS. I don't know why she doesn't just rinse out empty plastic glasses to drink out of like the rest of us.

Possibly one of the most inverted Points of View ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jesus are trying to make her jump off a bridge or something??

LOL would it really do that to her though? Sad if it would!

Anyway, I just suggest what torture methods. I'm actually quite nice to the tool I live with. (To her face)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Wait until she is gone for a few days. Then dampen her room down (with water!) and plant some cress seeds.

Only takes a few days for a mini forest to sprout up

This is the best idea ever. Seriously. See attached picture for the hilarity that can come of using cress as a form of revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Women are always feminists until they have to do something disgusting, then it's the man's job).

SO true,

My housemates laft the house in a state last week so what i did was have a big session (housemates were all away for the night) and told people to only use each glass/cup bowl etc once. trashed the place , then went and stayed at my GF place for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I lived in a house with 7 other girls, i dont have any horrible stories about them really, 2 of them stole i diary that me and another girl used to write into, we found it and hid it from them..that was it really.
    but i read a really good book called "i lick my cheese" its full of all little notes that people have left out for their housemates..very funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Femmy wrote: »
    I lived in a house with 7 other girls, i dont have any horrible stories about them really, 2 of them stole i diary that me and another girl used to write into, we found it and hid it from them..that was it really.
    but i read a really good book called "i lick my cheese" its full of all little notes that people have left out for their housemates..very funny!

That book is funny. Some really weird people out there!

I love the cress idea. So simple but so annoying!

Advertisement