Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ah give them their perks. We all have little perks of our jobs, just Gardai have better perks than others.

TBH no 'perks' of the job would make me be a Garda - screw that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I could give a f*ck how much free stuff they get as long as they do their job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's hardly the end of the word, I know if i had a business i'd be keeping the local gardai onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

mox54 wrote: »
    , It's not a job I'd do, taking all the crap and ****ty jobs you get doled out, the **** hours and crap pay

its not crap pay at all - look at the CSO website. Plus, they get very generous overtime, paid for by you and me the taxpayer. (Ever wonder why more than average gardai are floating about on a Bank Holiday? - reason: Fat overtime cheques) ..Moreover, its a state guaranteed job. No fear factory close downs, no fear of any economic downturns for them - they still get paid. I never heard of a member of our force having trouble getting a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

colliegG wrote: »
    Yeah the guards are disgusting with all their 'perks' of getting into nightclubs free etc.

Not like insurance workers with their cheap insurance.
    Or bank workers with their preferential loans.
    Or shop workers with their store discounts.
    Or assorted civil servants with their free parking, subsidised canteens etc.
    Or bar workers with their late pints after work.
    Or anyone with flexi time.
    Or teachers with their half days.

I could go on.

You know cops can get their stab proof vest replaced, just like that, when it gets splashed with bodily fluids. It's a disgraceful waste of resources really!

Point is every job has perks.

There's a difference between a perk from your boss and bribery from the local businesses.

Guards taking "gifts" like that is corrupt whether you like it or not. Just because everyone does it or everyone would do it in that situation because they can get away with it, doesn't make it right.

You shouldn't have to pay the guards for protection because we already do in our taxes. They get paid and should do their jobs for the wage they are paid. They should be reported for taking these "gifts".

I hate this, they have a terrible job nonsense. They wanted to do, trained to do it, get paid to do it so they should be doing it for the wage they get paid and fired for not doing it, same as everyone else IMO.

However, I know this will never happen in most countries because everyone is corruptable. Doesn't make it right, just makes it one of those annoying things in life that this type of nonsense goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Does anyone here actually realise that most Gardai have a 'record book' w/ each shop..basically everything they get is put down in the book and paid at weekly/monthly periods.I have seen Gardai coming and gioing in a shop close to my school,when they buy something they write into the book and off they go.Then a week/month later they pay for it in bulk...nothing corrupt there.

As regards the nightclubs,of course your going to want to have off-duty Gardai in your club if things get messy.
    Lads and Lasses,the high horses are getting quite tired,please come down off them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Jeeze do we not PAY the cnuts to be onside -- why would they be looking for additional dropsy...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The deserve anything they get for free, I'd get the free stuff myself if I could, but no fuc*king way would I do the job they do.
    I wouldn't begrudge them a single thing. Funny that the thread was started by someone who doesn't even live here... a tad ironic heh :)

Anyone agree that the cops tend to go for the softer target - they lean heavily on the easier guys an shy away from tacklin the hard men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Anyone agree that the cops tend to go for the softer target - they lean heavily on the easier guys an shy away from tacklin the hard men.

what has that got to do with the thread?

• Advertisement

tallus wrote: »
    The deserve anything they get for free, I'd get the free stuff myself if I could, but no fuc*king way would I do the job they do.
    I wouldn't begrudge them a single thing. Funny that the thread was started by someone who doesn't even live here... a tad ironic heh :)

Why? They agreed to do it for the wage they get paid. Why should they be paid extra's from the public in order to do their job properly? Why should someone not willing to bribe them to do their job not get assistance over someone that did?

It is not okay IMO but I know its impossible to stop and I'm in no way saying I wouldn't do it giving the chance because I'm not in a job that I can take bribe's to do my job properly. I just get sacked if I don't do it right.

They agreed to do it for the wage on their contract so that is what they should get paid. They knew the dangers involved when they agreed to do the job. If circumstances change, they are free to quit their job and do something else at any time.

Sorry mate ...lost the run o mesell - smooth as a dog mate - smooth as a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

brim4brim wrote: »
    Why? They agreed to do it for the wage they get paid. Why should they be paid extra's from the public in order to do their job properly? Why should someone not willing to bribe them to do their job not get assistance over someone that did?

It is not okay IMO but I know its impossible to stop and I'm in no way saying I wouldn't do it giving the chance because I'm not in a job that I can take bribe's to do my job properly. I just get sacked if I don't do it right.

They agreed to do it for the wage on their contract so that is what they should get paid. They knew the dangers involved when they agreed to do the job. If circumstances change, they are free to quit their job and do something else at any time.

I think the fact that they do get "bribes" is a reflection on the nature of the job they do and not the service they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

nothing to see here now, move along now.

Of course they do this and it is wrong too. This is more wrong than taking the bribes to do their jobs IMO because this really affects peoples lifes a lot more.

When they pick on someone that has committed a small crime to make themselves feel like big men they are no more than thugs.

When they won't go after the bigger criminals they are not doing the job we pay them to do and encourage more people to become violent criminals, drug dealers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Jeeeze, I wish I had a conscience as clear as some of the people on here:rolleyes:. ALL jobs have some kind of perks. Like the old saying ‘you will never see a hungry cook.’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Jeeeze, I wish I had a conscience as clear as some of the people on here:rolleyes:. ALL jobs have some kind of perks. Like the old saying ‘you will never see a hungry cook.’

So? Guards get everyone else's perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Nope, They've never got any of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This might be more of an issue if refusing said fast food or club entry resulted in a violent reprisal.
    I haven't heard of any abrakebabra being smashed up over no free taco fries recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

To A robber this thread is bullshiat its okay for a garda to rob the system though they are entrusted nay enshrined by law and constitution to protect but should an average decent criminal try to make a run through fools errands its a crime but its ok for the most important of our civil servants to rob us.

Well done this state you have shown me we were not wrong to elect charlies thieving children to government and we were wrong to doubt the donations made to bertie because surely its all a perk of the job.

Actually let me be the first to say bullshiat
    bullshiat to ye all who agree with the keepers of peace perpetrating crimes if they shall i shall and so shall the thief be the king of all men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's corruption. I know of a garda getting into a high profile concert just by flashing their warrent card. How would people feel if politicians start accepting these perks? Probably be tribunals set up....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

salonfire wrote: »
    It's corruption. I know of a garda getting into a high profile concert just by flashing their warrent card. How would people feel if politicians start accepting these perks? Probably be tribunals set up....

Perhaps he was working undercover as part of a drugs operation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ...or to get a free bag of chips from Macari's.
    I can't blame Macari's. With all the trouble that goes around chippers, who doesn't want the local gardaí on their side?

jetsonx wrote: »
    its not crap pay at all - look at the CSO website. Plus, they get very generous overtime, paid for by you and me the taxpayer. (Ever wonder why more than average gardai are floating about on a Bank Holiday? - reason: Fat overtime cheques)
    They are also taxpayers. And regarding the bank holiday, I would have reckoned it being due to the increased road usage during bank holiday (therefore increased accidents and deaths which always happen) and also more people going out Friday,Saturday and Sunday so theres more need for extra coverage. Would you prefer an understaffed station? Im sure you would harp on about that also.
    jetsonx wrote: »
    ..Moreover, its a state guaranteed job. No fear factory close downs, no fear of any economic downturns for them - they still get paid. I never heard of a member of our force having trouble getting a mortgage.

This applies to ALL public sector jobs. Mortgages arent exactly the unattainable object they were years ago so your analogy is rather weak

Perhaps he was working undercover as part of a drugs operation?

Not a chance!!! Unless all the lads he was with suddenly became undercover cops as well. It is a common practice that should be stamped out by now.

If they want the public to view them as a totally professional police force then these 'perks' shouldn't be tolerated.

It just creates a negative image with the public

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I can't blame Macari's. With all the trouble that goes around chippers, who doesn't want the local gardaí on their side?

Why should Macari's feel that by giving them freebies gardai "are on their side". They are there to deal with trouble regardless, not to be "on anyone's side".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

They regularly have to pick up 'prisoners meals' from establishments such as Abrakebabra...

Gardai do, do some cowboy stuff but at the end of the day they are public servants, and have revoked civillianhood, they are bound to serve the state and a few perks such as free public transport, or a bit of thanks here's a coffee, for all the **** they do isnt that big a deal

Why should Macari's feel that by giving them freebies gardai "are on their side". They are there to deal with trouble regardless, not to be "on anyone's side".

Yes but you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. In many cases the gardai are given these perks to keep the place quiet. Scumbags will be far less likely to target a chipper when they know the gards use it.

the locust wrote: »
    They regularly have to pick up 'prisoners meals' from establishments such as Abrakebabra...

Gardai do, do some cowboy stuff but at the end of the day they are public servants, and have revoked civillianhood, they are bound to serve the state and a few perks such as free public transport, or a bit of thanks here's a coffee, for all the **** they do isnt that big a deal

Binmen are also public servants - should they get free perks as well?

What with the sh*t they handle you wouldn't mind if one got free transport and you had to pay the full whack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

You're perfectly right, but you have to comprehend; this isn't a perfect world where the gardaí do as they should - it is common in human nature to show favouritism like that. Hence I indicate the fact that Macari's cannot be blamed for such acts.

Advertisement