Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Places to eat in Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

JMLB94 wrote: »
    It's going to be a Chinese, The Crystal Palace!!!

How many Chinese restaurants does one town need!!!

Thanks for the info though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

macjohn wrote: »
    How many Chinese restaurants does one town need!!!

Thanks for the info though.

It needs a proper one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

anmhi02 wrote: »
    Sous Le vent was gorgeous, shame it didn't last

Only ate there once but was impressed.

Was looking forward to going back some day but it closed before I could do so.

Is Puccini's still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

jprboy wrote: »
    Only ate there once but was impressed.

Was looking forward to going back some day but it closed before I could do so.

Is Puccini's still open?

Puccini's is Time Bistro now, less Italian more general steak chicken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Puccini's is Time Bistro now, less Italian more general steak chicken etc.

Thanks.

Is Lar Corbett still involved?

• Advertisement

jprboy wrote: »
    Thanks.

Is Lar Corbett still involved?

As far as I know, but I couldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I got a hold of their menu...pretty standard fare, interestingly they describe themselves as asian fusion...not much fusion that I could see except one dish contains pineapple !!??!!

On Time bistro apparently their menu changes daily...so have looked very interesting.

Going to try there soon hopefully!

Is Shimla closed? Popped into thurles Friday evening on the way to Limerick and it was all locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Is Shimla closed? Popped into thurles Friday evening on the way to Limerick and it was all locked up
    Not Shimla,please nooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Yeah the Shimlas are gone

• Advertisement

The exterior of Shimla was being repainted yesterday...new owners??

Cerbera wrote: »
    Did they have another restaurant in killkenny and were they in Mary Willies before Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

tipptom wrote: »
    Did they have another restaurant in killkenny and were they in Mary Willies before Thurles?

They had another one in Dublin anyways. We used to get them at work until they were closed by the Food Safety Authority.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Food+premises+closures+rise+77%25+over+breaches/id/19410615-5218-51d5-91e0-b769c0376939

jonnybravo wrote: »
    They had another one in Dublin anyways. We used to get them at work until they were closed by the Food Safety Authority.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Food+premises+closures+rise+77%25+over+breaches/id/19410615-5218-51d5-91e0-b769c0376939
    Jays,good job the wife didn't know about that in all the times we were there.

Cerbera wrote: »

Any word on what happened? Forced out or just business decision? For anyone based in the town was there anything on it in the local papers?
    To the untrained eye they had seemed to be doing ok and have a strong takeaway trade.

Any word on what happened? Forced out or just business decision? For anyone based in the town was there anything on it in the local papers?
    To the untrained eye they had seemed to be doing ok and have a strong takeaway trade.

Ill see what I can find out.

Shimla is reopening as The Palm Tree, Indian again.

They still have the old sunday buffet sign in the window....

mikep wrote: »

Funny name for an Indian,same owners?

Any word on whether this is Shimla under a new name? Or on what happened.
    Heading down for the All-Ireland weekend and might have to try somewhere new with Shimla gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Original question reasked. Any decent place to get a lunch in Thurles. A restaurant ideally but a decent pub will do. Say 1pm or so. Going tomrrow

• Advertisement

ankles wrote: »
    Original question reasked. Any decent place to get a lunch in Thurles. A restaurant ideally but a decent pub will do. Say 1pm or so. Going tomrrow

The Anner Hotel is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    The Anner Hotel is very nice.

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try

It seems the Palm Tree is being renamed (again) It also seems to have opened and closed quickly.

On Ginos I renently got takeaway and I reckon they were the best chips in town..will have to go again to confirm,
    Also they have started doing pasta at decent prices and as I was leaving with my takeaway I noticed that a few people were eating bowls pasta..will also try this!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

Just updating this thread 😊
    Stef Hans in The Source is well worth a visit. The food is fresh and so tasty, the standard is excellent, and theyre really good with kids. Pity it's not open more, keeps to daytime hours.

Indian Dreams at Shimla opened recently, better than Star of India in our opinion. We've had 2 takeaways from there recently..It's really good!! Best Indian we have had in a while..

I can also confirm, I think Ginos have the best chips in town...haven't tried pasta there yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Went to Mitchel House in the town about a year or so ago. We all enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

honeybear wrote: »
    Went to Mitchel House in the town about a year or so ago. We all enjoyed it.
    Mitchel House is always consistently good I find. The earlybird isn't bad value at all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

had Sunday Lunch in the bar at the Anner Hotel recently. Very nice, friendly staff and nice atmosphere.
    If you want a quick luch, the carvery in the Thurles shopping centre, is also good.

Mitchel House is always consistently good I find. The earlybird isn't bad value at all :-)

Food is nice - Outside early bird the bill can be steep enough tho!!!

Still does amazingly well - funny that no where else can seem to do similar-ish style at a little less €€€

Parkers in Holycross is much better value but a decent taxi ride out of thurles

• Advertisement

Indian Dreams at Shimla opened recently, better than Star of India in our opinion. We've had 2 takeaways from there recently..It's really good!! Best Indian we have had in a while..

I can also confirm, I think Ginos have the best chips in town...haven't tried pasta there yet..

Anyone know if its the same chef or new people?

Advertisement