Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Follow Thread' email notification

• 09-08-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

When you click 'Follow Thread' a dialog box pops up with options for email notifications. By default, 'Instant' is selected. I never want email notifications for followed threads and have selected the appropriate option on the Control Panel. Each time I follow a thread without posting, I have to select 'No email notification' and click 'Follow Thread' again. That's three clicks for an operation that should only take one.

Would it be possible to disable these dialog boxes and just follow threads immediately on the first click? Why are these boxes necessary if we've already selected whether or not we want email notifications in the control panel?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I see where you're coming from, email notifications can be pretty irritating, especially on a busy thread. However, the amount of traffic we get from email notifications is pretty significant and I'd be loathe to tinker with it too much. It's difficult for me to justify changing a default that will most likely decrease engagement!

As far as data goes, currently active thread subscriptions break down as follows:

email notification: 3,600,698
    no email: 2,009,195

Of course it could be fairly convincingly argued that email notifications are only ahead because they are the default.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, we will bear it in mind.

2 years ago^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It should at least be following the setting of "Default Thread Subscription Mode" from the Control Panel though which it does if you post a reply but just not for the Follow Thread button. Also for consistency with the mobile site where the follow thread button doesn't subscribe you to any emails.

Advertisement