Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The Walsho wrote: »
    No diary entry today?

well seeing as the covered the exam from friday on saturday no, they dont have anything to print. i made the mistake myself looking for it in the paper, and was sadly dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Tomorrow's education section will be a good one, you mark my words :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I hope she doesn't change.
    It's too much of a brilliant and absurd joke joke now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

Marko, just read today's, it's the exact same as any other day?
    No exception to any other day's education today.
    The institutes of education call all the exams easy, the Irish exam being "the easiest in 20 years"... what else is here...

Laura Brady apologises in a way for her confidence (Must have been reading the boards). She then goes on to shop in Brown Thomas, order $900 (€575) shoes and dress eloquently all during the leaving cert exams- keeping in mind that this might be okay for the well off students but not for those looking to study medicine. wow. no study? Couldn't actually bring myself to read the rest of it, I have study to do. :P

Yadi yadi yeah...
    Anyway,Once again, Mark Walsh and I are featured in the Blog watch, yet another editorial error as in fact the piece credited to me was written by fellow blogger Kevin Holler.
    Boards.ie once again feature along side our blog material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow bitterstudent, you got your writing into a national newspaper?
    Respect! :cool:

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    Wow bitterstudent, you got your writing into a national newspaper?
    Respect! :cool:

http://www.leaving-cert.net <- Promo :D or http://www.walsho.net for Walsho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Marko, just read today's, it's the exact same as any other day?
    No exception to any other day's education today.

Yadi yadi yeah...
    Anyway,Once again, Mark Walsh and I are featured in the Blog watch, yet another editorial error as in fact the piece credited to me was written by fellow blogger Kevin Holler.
    Boards.ie once again feature along side our blog material.

I said today's would be good as a bit of a joke as I knew I'd be in it today! Those errors are irritating alright, they credited a piece of mine to Colin from your blog last week. Ah well!

The diary today was pretty ridiculous too. Obviously if her parents are paying for her to repeat in the 'Tute they're fairly loaded, but what's she playing at rubbing it in our faces by telling us about the $900 shoes she bought? On ebay on the morning before the exam?! The morning before the exam I'm cramming and the only finance-related thing on my mind is having enough lunch money!
    Honestly, is this girl for real? Surely she can't be foolish enough to think we're enjoying reading her pieces? I want to know how the exams went, not how your shoe shopping went. You're a leaving cert diarist, not a fashion columnist.
    I shouldn't buy it anymore, but I love seeing my name in there in the Blogwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Filled with rage/despair/frustration on reading the column (more of a row to be honest) today. It was the first time I properly read it and it'll be the last. Dressing up for an Irish exam? Does she really have nothing better to be doing than showing off the fact that she owns fancy clothes? They really couldn't have found someone farther from the average student if they tried. Thanks Irish Times, we feel so great now, knowing this spoilt girl is spending her days swanning around Brown Thomas, safe in the thoughts that they wouldn't let riff-raff like Peig in, while we're studying away for, you know, the Leaving Cert.

Anyway, I find it amusingly ironic that she wrote her Irish essay on what I assume for 99% of those who did it was a condemnation of the excessive materialism of today's Ireland.

I hope desperately she's putting it all on for the sake of getting a rise out of us, and that she's actually a normal person who doesn't think spending 900 dollars on a pair of shoes is a legitimate way to alleviate stress.

Of course, there's always the upside:
    She's doing her leaving cert for the third time. Hate. That.
    And if I ever get sick I'll probably go to a public hospital, and there's no way she'd let herself lower herself to such a very proletarian standard. So I'm not likely to ever meet her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

And if I ever get sick I'll probably go to a public hospital, and there's no way she'd let herself lower herself to such a very proletarian standard. So I'm not likely to ever meet her.

Ha! I Lol'd, I'll admit it!

I'm not even going to get started on her. I honestly wouldn't know where to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bought the Times today as I was curious about what she was writing. Honestly, I kind of thought people were exaggerating about how bad it was. They weren't.

Who actually cares whether she got her $900 shoes or not? Who cares what she wore to the exam?

The worst bit was when she said that she can't let herself get an A2 in Irish again, like it's a bad thing. What about those who struggle through Irish? Anyway, she's been in school so long she must have fluent Irish at this stage.

I'm an Irish teacher and I really like reading about the exams from the point of view of those sitting it. I have no idea, from reading her piece, whether it was a 'fair' paper or not. All I know is that she spent more on one pair of shoes than I've spent on shoes in about 6 years.

Oh, and by the way, while you were all studying last night, she was checking out the Junior Cert. CSPE paper.

I'm off to read the Independent's LC diary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Wow...I haven't even read her article and I'm annoyed.....

She sounds terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Her article today conformed what I had been suspecting all along. Her parents are so loaded that they bought the irish times (the company, not just an edition) so that she could write the diary. it's the only explanation! Why would the people at the irish times think the leaving cert population could relate to someone like her

Was just reading through todays issue of the Times, once again good reviews of the exam papers and what could actually be a good Laura Brady diary entry.

It gets straight to the point as she gives her honest opinion on the Irish exam paper (Despite it being her 3rd time -.-). She then goes onto talk about eating habits during the leaving-cert, again all fair and relevant. Then comes the vanity and her "Aran sweater" all fair and well again, she is after all female.

Seems to be good today. :O

Once again Blogwatch... quotes from boards.ie, walsho and myself at leaving-cert. A good day for the Irish Times it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Indeed. I heard her piece being read out this morning on the radio and it seemed to talk about the exam itself. She also said that she wont be sorry to leave the Irish course behind (which is fair enough!) which leads me to believe that she wont be trying again next year!

janeybabe wrote: »
    Indeed. I heard her piece being read out this morning on the radio and it seemed to talk about the exam itself. She also said that she wont be sorry to leave the Irish course behind (which is fair enough!) which leads me to believe that she wont be trying again next year!

She's already quailified her dogged attempts at getting Medcine by sayig if she got it this year she'd graduate a year before people donig it a more round-about way, but I find that a doubious claim.

Still, she has indicated she'd repeat it again if she doesn't get what she wants.

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

Hey, just dropping by to say that ive seen www.leaving-cert.net advertised loads on this thread so i went for a look.....well done lads! all the blogs are written completely honestly and in comparison to reading Ms A1 in everything Brady, it's nice to see some other people are worried about their exams too! it was enjoyable to read and il def b comin back to check it out. Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Does anyone know where i can see these diaries?
    I want to see what shes like for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Then comes the vanity and her "Aran sweater" all fair and well again, she is after all female.

I'm pretty sure any self-respecting female would agree when I can say that I'm as nauseated by the shameless vanity as anybody else :rolleyes: She's really letting the side down with the whole Sex & the City Does the Leaving wannabe thing. I promise that no girl I know is planning her outfit to match her exam (& if we were it would be a far cry from Louboutin stilettos). :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

While i dislike the content of her entries, they are fairly competently written i ll say that much, who knows how many years she's been in the institute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 allthatjazz

Don't mean to sound smart and hell will freeze over before I ever get 545 points or anything of the sort. Yet then again I don't study much and attend a regular community school, but what is your one Laura playing at??
    third attempt and she attends the institute?
    I'd be slightly embarrased with that record let alone parading it in the times....

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where i can see these diaries?
    I want to see what shes like for myself

Sadly (or happily, depending how you look at it) the Irish Times' website is pay only.

It's ironic it's the paper with the blog watch, but it's the Irish Independent with the website that lets you read it's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Syferus wrote: »

On Laura Brady's entry yesterday - she managed to drop the fact she got an 'A in Biology last year' for seeming no reason but to quailify her talking about her broken toe.

She also apparently did not study and went to see 'Sex and the City' the night before English paper 1.
    She says it's was far better for her than toiling at home studying.

She also has a pet iguana named Romeo.
    In all seriousness, her entries so far have presented her as someone who is self-absorbed and clearly not in touch with the 50,000 or so students who are doing the Leaving for the first and (mostly) last time.
    Weather that's the case in reality is another thing, but it's certainly not what I'd like from an 'exam' diary.

This summarises my utter contempt for that snotty little...ahem...person. I was in my mate's before history today and saw her article from yesterday on the table....I promised him if I saw her on Leeson Street, where I'm also in school (but NOT the Institute), that I'd slap her! What a shock it was when I DID see her. I had the excuse that I couldn't hit a girl though, so I didn't appear a bottler...

...equally, I don't think there's a single person outside the Institute who could relate to her articles. They're piles of incessant, pretentious drivel if you ask me. At least the Polish girl last year had an interesting slant to her articles in that she wasn't Irish! Laura Brady's articles appear more concerned with her fashion sense in the exam hall and about how AMAZING she is for having to repeat the Leaving Cert for a third time. Wowsers....isn't she interesting?

Syferus wrote: »

Still, she has indicated she'd repeat it again if she doesn't get what she wants.

Well let's just hope if she does repeat again she doesn't force her stupid articles on next year's leaving certs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

I could not believe that yesterdays was all about shoes!!

I wanna know how you felt about the papers and the Leaving not about your $900 shoes or what you wore into the exam hall!
    GET A LIFE GIRL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'll be perfectly honest and admit that despite never meeting her, I'm quite sure I hate her.

I will personally pay somebody to break into her house and move all the clocks back three hours so she misses an exam or too.

Irish Times is woeful lately anyway, it's becoming a tabloid standard idiotfest. Read it in a petrol station, it's not worth a cent.

PrivateEye wrote: »

I will personally pay somebody to break into her house and move all the clocks back three hours so she misses an exam or too.

How much?:p

This thread has been totally destroying the image of this brady girl.
    I know this girl is disliked for many reasons ,but this is her third time at the leaving.

She should have the books memorised inside and out and she is finding it easy she should have a reason to.

She has shown dedication to do this three times,when some people do it once and will never do it again.Does this decication see no reward?

She wants to be a doctor,she is not trying to be famous ,to my degree of knowledge,and that dedication shows she cares.But if this keeps up her fellow students will only see her as pretentious.

Don't you think it's frustrating for her to be going though a two year course for four years.

Yes she is painting the leaving cert as ridiculously easy when we all know its not, but it is her third time.But she recognises the difficulty of the Leaving Cert,that is why she is going to the Institute.

The only thing i see wrong with this diary is the it is not in the perspective of a real student(how many students do you hear repeating three times?)

I think this Brady girl should not be attacked as it is not her fault she finds it easy(she probably finds it terribly boring as it's her third year of exams )

The only people who should be to blame is the paper for their choice of candidate.I think this thread should lay off her a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If she finds it so easy, why is it her third time doing it?

To be honest, while I can respect someone with determination, I have more sympathy for the person who gets themself together and gets it done first time. I know getting 600 points is hard, but three times? I can understand repeating once, failing at your first shot is understandable, but surely her second time around she would have learned from her mistakes.
    (This is of course excluding the possibility that there was some kind of catastrophe in her life causing her to fail the exams one year. I'm guessing though, it isn't the case, or else she would have mentioned it somewhere in her diary.)

Of course, it's also very easy to dislike someone who displays values so radically different to those of oneself. I'm still reeling over the 900 dollar pair of shoes. Not even that, I understand people indulging themselves and I do not demand we all live in huts, but it's the flaunting that gets to me. Okay, you are rich, we do not care, please stop trying to impress us, we do not measure a person's worth in the number of brand names dangling off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lainy123

Her diary is also on the skoool.ie website.
    Just look under exams 2008

• Advertisement

I'm still reeling over the 900 dollar pair of shoes. Not even that, I understand people indulging themselves and I do not demand we all live in huts, but it's the flaunting that gets to me. Okay, you are rich, we do not care, please stop trying to impress us, we do not measure a person's worth in the number of brand names dangling off them.

Yeah i know what you meant .It's not fair but I think this is turning into a personal attack on someone who is not here to defend themselves.Also if it offends you so much dont read it.There are some people who have life served from a silver but i dont think it's fair ,when this is obviously the papers fault for considering her as the candidate for this task.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement