Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 1: Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Spiced Up Mac & Cheese

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sparks wrote: »
    18 chicken breasts now swimming in their buttermilk bath...

(yes, maybe I went a bit overboard, but family's coming round this weekend and fried chicken is delicious hot or cold - there is no possibility of waste here :D )

'Family' eh Sparks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The OH made the Mac and cheese tonight. He's been looking for a good recipe for a spicy Mac and Cheese for ages. It was delicious. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

238652.jpg

Yeah, okay, maybe I did go overboard a bit :D
    Tasty though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Chicken is marinading, looking forward to trying this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I had the chicken last night. Replaced the flour with a mix of arrowroot/oat flour because I'm avoiding gluten.

Partial success, I loved it, and demolished the leftovers for breakfast. My niece thought it was a bit spicy...lightweight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

Hi everyone - I give this another go tonight following all your advice and they were a roaring success :D Thank you!!!

I didn't get a chance to pick up a thermometer so just heated the oil gradually and used one of the smaller gas rings this time. The chicken was so tasty! Yum! I didn't have a celery so left that out but I don't think it made a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you don't have a thermometer (I don't), you can throw a small piece of bread crust into the oil to check it. If it sizzles immediately the oil is hot enough.

I made the mac and cheese again last night. I used mild chilli powder instead of hot, eased up on the cayenne and used less hot sauce than I should and it was STILL burning spicy hot! (I love hot, I 'just' about managed it. The mammy wanted to cry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

hdowney wrote: »
    I made the mac and cheese again last night. I used mild chilli powder instead of hot, eased up on the cayenne and used less hot sauce than I should and it was STILL burning spicy hot! (I love hot, I 'just' about managed it. The mammy wanted to cry!)

Really? Even made as in the recipe I really don't find it particularly hot at all.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Really? Even made as in the recipe I really don't find it particularly hot at all.

Yep, I find it really bizzare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Made the chicken from this on Friday, the Mac & Cheese was going to be made also but someone <glares at other end of couch> had used all the cheese & milk so we had potato wedges instead. It was *gorgeous*. Chicken only got a 4 hour bath because of time constraints and it was beautiful, can't wait to leave it marinading overnight to get the full whack. We decided to slice onions into the marinade in rings to flavour the chicken and then to have delightful buttermilk onion rings to go with the chicken

f55bad46-cc11-4b5c-82e0-deac4699c485_zps48d5708f.jpg

622fb454-795e-49b0-85bb-0716f4759559_zps26b29035.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...delightful buttermilk onion rings to go with the chicken
    Again, genius! I'm totally doing that next time.

This is one of my favourite things about the cooking club: the remixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Again, genius! I'm totally doing that next time.

This is one of my favourite things about the cooking club: the remixes.
    Yeah, brilliant idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Made both tonight. They were so good, and really quick and easy too. I was a student in Canada last year and lived off $1 kraft mac n cheese, so this was a real treat :pac: chicken was great too, so moist and flavoursome from the marinade. Def one for the recipe book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Chicken has been marinating in the fringe since yesterday. Hoping to have corn on the cob and coleslaw to offset the spice for some more delicate palettes!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Trying to make a conscious effort to follow up on any cooking club recipes I try with photos after being a lurker most of last year.

Tried both the chicken and mac & cheese and can see myself trying them again. It was my first time cooking with that amount of oil, so I heated it slowly and halved the chicken breasts. The first pair I cooked for 5 minutes but were still pink in the centre so I dropped the heat and tried the next 4 while finishing the underdone cut in the oven in tinfoil.

Was a bit apprehensive that it'd be too spicy based on previous comments, but it was grand. Will definitely be making both again, but possibly seperately as I felt they were a bit 'heavy' (though I was only serving 3 so the higher portion size may have contributed to this).

Anyway, thanks for the recipes OP!

0028.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Trying 3 new recipes this week and this is one of them. Can't wait! Thanks honey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

John Mason wrote: »
    just finished this now - it was delicious. will definitely cook again.

fantastic start to the year.

here's our photo - vegetarian on the left meat on the right :). we had it with a rocket salad

20130112_200328_zps22da5b01.jpg
    What did you use for the vegetarian option? Tofu or seitan or something? Looks great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I used quorn chicken fillets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Thank you honey!!
    And Miss Flit.

Made the chicken & also the onion rings tonight.
    Marinaded both overnight.
    Really lovely.
    Not really into pasta so left out the mac & cheese.
    I marinaded lots of chicken so drained them off & froze them. Hopefully they'll taste as good when cooked.

833E61FB-D8B0-4DCC-99A9-119154D2F392-3006-0000041D2FDCE162_zpsc20fb916.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I made the chicken over the weekend, I was very impressed, I've never done anything like that before (not much of a chef :P) but it turned out perfect.

No pics as we ate it too quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made it today for dinner, the chicken was really nice and juicy. I cut up a chicken instead of just using breasts. It didnt last very long. Will be making this again- thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

I made this chicken with egg fried rice, and all three teenagers were well impressed!it was even voted better than KFC. I also used the onion and battered it in the left over flour yum yum. I will definitely be repeating this recipe, thank you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made the buttermilk fried chicken the other night, using chicken legs I had sitting in the fridge. I also added whatever extra herbs I had in hand, rosemary, sage, and homemade buttermilk. It was marinading for a good 10 hours. I floured the chicken then, but decided to double coat it afterwards with beaten egg and crumbs from a stale Italian loaf; didn't want it to go to waste!
    Fried them as instructed, but the coat started to turn brown too quickly and I knew the inside hasn't fully cooked just yet. So I scooped the chicken out and threw them in the oven for another 15 minutes to finish.
    The meat was lovely, tender and succulent, and you can taste the herbs and spices. The second coat, crispy and tasty as they were just the way I'd like them, fell off easily. Next time I will just stick to the seasoned flour as per recipe.
    Thanks Honey-ec! I had them with coleslaw and buttery mash. Will definitely make these again.
    **sorry no photos as I was staaaaaaaarving and gobbled everything up before I can say my dinner prayers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have the whole house to myself for the next few days, so naturally I made enough food to feed the family!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/954717_10152067213329251_218093902_n.jpg

Here's my late dinner:

1004611_10152067212319251_256384004_n.jpg

I'd done the chicken once before, but this is my first time doing the pasta with it. It's magnificent! Maybe a little bit too hot for this weather, but still delicious. :pac:

:) Kudos to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Made this on Saturday for my other half and I.

Quite literally OP, I love you ! Thank you !!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Well, the OH was having a crappy day yesterday. So knowing he loves fried chicken and also mac and cheese, I made this for dinner.

It was absolutely lovely. VERY filling though. I'm watching what I eat at the moment so I pretty much existed on fruit for the day so that I could eat this for dinner! :D It's lethal fattening but so so good. In fact, i'm trying my hardest not to go into the kitchen right now and devour the leftovers! Thanks Honey-ec
    chicken_zpsa619f21d.jpg
    maccheese_zpsdaf10359.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Why did you resurrect this recipe - sooo going to have to hve it again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I've been dying to try this for quite some time now but could never really justify the unhealthiness of it. But have been ill for the past week so decided to have it as a treat today.
    And boy I wasn't disappointed. Yum yum yum! I marinated the chicken overnight and the coating on it was delicious. Better than any KFC. I guesstimated the amount of pasta, and think I used too little so there was quite a lot of sauce, but it was still delicious!

318688.jpg[\img]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

How does the song go, " i feel like chicken tomorrow watching the football". might not go like that but got me 8 thighs and 8 drumsticks and im going to fry them tomorrow.

Advertisement