Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due April/May 2012 Thread

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite I love the idea of diary's for them, v cute :)

When I remember them that is.. I went into easons after work specifically to get them and 4 books and Good Housekeeping later, it was only on the bus I remembered them. :o Baby brain

In todays baby news, went to my GP to get the ball rolling on the maternity stuff, and my doc was so happy for me - she was the one I initially went to to begin the fertility investigations.I got my Obstretics card thingy and she wrote to the hospital and my endocrinologist.

She mentioned that tiramsu and coleslaw is out (presume its the mayo in the latter?) plus the usual stuff thats forbidden. Are any of you avoiding pineapple or is that just a myth?

My tum is deffo changing shape, and Im only 8 weeks - but then I'm pretty slight anyway so any bump would show. hopefully I can get a swingy cardigan to disguise it for another month at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Congrats on the twin news Neyite,that amazing im so happy for you!
    I'm at the exactly same stage as you, 8wk 1 day today.
    I was thinking about the twins too and my mum is a twin and my cousins on my mums side are identical twins and my husband has two sets of twin cousins! So it's in our family anyway,you never know!

I havn't been on in a while because I was so nauseous I couldn't even read about pregnany!Feeling a bit better yesturday and today (so far!).At least its the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jam and toast

Hi all, just posted in the Father's thread but thought I should post in here too. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in May (just about 8 weeks at the moment), and it's nice to hear from other people in the same boat! Anyways, just saying hello, I'll be following this thread and posting any relevant updates/questions/etc. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I started a baby diary when I first found out I was pregnant and even now as I am in my second trimester looking back at my first trimester, pics, how I felt etc. is lovely, a great keepsake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats Jam & Toast to you and your wife :)

Ms2011 I think the diary is a lovely idea! not sure about doing it myself at the moment as I think all the entries would read...I'm tired/I'm sick/I'm hungry/I'm tired.... :o

Saggycaggy, good to hear that are you starting to come through the other side of the sickness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Neyite wrote: »

Are any of you avoiding pineapple or is that just a myth?

Please tell me this is a myth cuz ive been eating it till it comes out my ears!!! I find it great for constipation (TMI im sure) and its just nice and juicy?

WTF could be in it thats bad??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Please tell me this is a myth cuz ive been eating it till it comes out my ears!!! I find it great for constipation (TMI im sure) and its just nice and juicy?

WTF could be in it thats bad??:confused:

No idea if what it does or if its a myth, but I know loads of girls on another board I'm on that are are all due now, are eating it to beat the band trying to bring on labour. Not just that, spicy foods, walks etc. I don't like pineapple, so never looked into it.

They normally tell you to try pineapple at the end of pregnancy to induce labour, maybe that's why its not recommended earlier in pregnancy.
    That said, I said it to my midwife when I was overdue that I was taking pineapple & she said I'd probably need to be eating it by the crate load to see any effect.

Here's one link I found where it says it is supposed to soften your cervix, that's why its not suggested for early in pregnancy.....
    [URL=]http://pregnancyglee.com/?p=26[/URL]

Pity as it is yum!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They normally tell you to try pineapple at the end of pregnancy to induce labour, maybe that's why its not recommended earlier in pregnancy.
    That said, I said it to my midwife when I was overdue that I was taking pineapple & she said I'd probably need to be eating it by the crate load to see any effect.

Here's one link I found where it says it is supposed to soften your cervix, that's why its not suggested for early in pregnancy.....
    http://pregnancyglee.com/?p=26

Pity as it is yum!

Thats what I thought. I had sweet and sour chicken a couple of times before I copped. I get my sammich in the local garage and its usually ham and mixed salad with a bit of mayo, but now Im wondering if I should bring in my own?

Lots of fruit should help in the old digestive system department. I eated a whole punnet of strawberries on saturday night. :o No problems there then.

Drinking heaps of water at the mo - I read that it seems to increase the amniotic fluid, and I'm a little concerned that my littler twin seems to have a much smaller sac on the scan compared to his/her sibling. So gonna aim for about 2-3 litres a day.
    Edit: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/PEhydration.html

I definitely have a bump, but it looks more a "who drank all the pints" bump as opposed to a baby bump at the moment. My OH said its the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and loves falling asleep with his hand on my tum :)

Awww that's so sweet of your other half Neyite :D

I'm starting to get anxious that everyone's getting bumps and I'm actually losing weight :(
    I know its because I've been eating feck all with the morning sickness the past 2 months. I'd feel that bit better if I was starting to get a bit of a tum.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to get anxious that everyone's getting bumps and I'm actually losing weight :(
    I know its because I've been eating feck all with the morning sickness the past 2 months. I'd feel that bit better if I was starting to get a bit of a tum.

well now, we are calling it a bump, others would call it a muffin top:pac:

Poor you with the sickness- I am blessed really, I can cope with the tiredness but really grateful that I didnt get morning sickness. Its about 10 weeks that it goes, isnt it?

the sickness- I am blessed really, I can cope with the tiredness but really grateful that I didnt get morning sickness. Its about 10 weeks that it goes, isnt it?

I'm 14 and a half weeks and still get some sickness on and off usually in the evening, it is starting to taper off now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

well now, we are calling it a bump, others would call it a muffin top:pac:

Hehe love it!!! I'm in a similar boat. I'm not the smallest of girls though, so I'm not sure if I'm already starting to get a bump, or whether my belly is just getting more swollen and hard than usual cos of the sickness. Either way, I'm going around the house rubbing it like a bump. :D

I wouldn't worry cap, I've lost a stone in the last 2 weeks (and still losing weight) and was extremely worried about it. Most of the people I asked said they lost quite a bit of weight in the first trimester, a lot of people seem to get it all back on over the rest of the pregnancy (I know I'll be one of these. As soon as I can eat again I'm getting an indian takeaway and some pringles) :o .
    If you're worried, get your GP do to urine tests, just to check your hydration is ok and to check the ketone level.

Neyite *apparently* its 12 weeks when it eases off, if I don't start getting bags of energy & being able to eat buckets of food by Saturday of this week (when I'm 12 weeks) then I'll be having serious words with my body about this :)

Mad when you thin about it, at times my other half has had a moan about being sick for a day, max 2.
    I've been pretty much constantly ill for over 2 months now :eek:
    I'm actually used to the ill and tired feeling, so it'll be a nice surprise when I'm done with it :)

Shuwaaah thanks for that bit of advice,it might be no harm getting both checked & I know it sounds terrible but I'd like an excuse to go to my gp to have a doppler done (peace of mind).
    I think because I'm reaching the 12 week mark & want to make this news public, I'd feel that bit better doing so knowing that all was ok first. (paranoid moi? :o)

Ms2011 that's brill that your morning sickness is easing off now.
    I decided to be bold and chance a chinese tonight - it stayed down! result :D

Had a busy day today - work is busy and will be worse tomorrow, but hopefully after that it will be back to normal (sorta!) It was raining after work so it was a damp trip home on a smelly slow bus, my feet were killing me after running around at work, and I was wrecked...

Then in the door to find that the OH had cleaned up the kitchen, put on a wash, and emptied the dishwasher, did loads of tidying and put the electric blanket on the bed on so I could have a toasty little nap...ahhhhh :D

Had a busy day today - work is busy and will be worse tomorrow, but hopefully after that it will be back to normal (sorta!) It was raining after work so it was a damp trip home on a smelly slow bus, my feet were killing me after running around at work, and I was wrecked...

Then in the door to find that the OH had cleaned up the kitchen, put on a wash, and emptied the dishwasher, did loads of tidying and put the electric blanket on the bed on so I could have a toasty little nap...ahhhhh :D

That's it, give me your address - I'm sending my husband to your house for training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hi Guys, how are you all keeping? I'm halfway through my 6th week and morning sickness creeped up on me at the weekend and slowly got worse as each day went by. Today I feel so awful with nausea and I haven't vomited had a gaging moment this morning while getting ready for work. At times I feel very sick, very hungary then I feel full all at the SAME time. Is this normal?

The tiredness is afwul is well... today I just want to go home and crawl into the attic to hide away from eveything ha.. I feel so guilty moaning because I know some woman are sick from the very start :( if I dont eat I get the shakes and the sickness worsens there is no escape.. I know, i know it's a good sign but I just feel v. bad today :( still keeping it a secret from work for several reasons - very hard to do -

cocoemma wrote: »
    Hi Guys, how are you all keeping? I'm halfway through my 6th week and morning sickness creeped up on me at the weekend and slowly got worse as each day went by. Today I feel so awful with nausea and I haven't vomited had a gaging moment this morning while getting ready for work. At times I feel very sick, very hungary then I feel full all at the SAME time. Is this normal?

Sounds exactly how I was, started to feel nauseous at around 6 weeks, gagged alot (especially when brushing my teeth :rolleyes:) but luckily never actually got sick. I would go from being miserably sick to starving then back to being sick again as soon as I ate :(
    All I can tell you is it does get better, I still get occasional bouts of nausea in the evening but it's happening less and less now.
    Chin up, you will get through it, it's easier said than done though when all you want to do is curl out and shut out the world :)

Awe Cocoemma, I feel your pain. I was exactly the same as you at 6 weeks (I'm 9 weeks tomorrow), thought I was doing great up to then-no symtoms but then it just hit me. My worst morning was the morning after I didn't have anything to eat the evening before so I would say definately say to stick to little and often.
    I wasn't throwing up either until last Sunday (threw up all day)so horrible. Then on Monday morning I had a Peppermint tea and I swear I felt instantly better!I have been having one every morning all this week, im not 100% back to feeling normal yet but feel so much better!

Tiredness is still bad too, I was conked in bed at 9pm last night!

Himself was off today, and I came home to find every single room tidied, floors mopped, bathrooms sparkling the lot. :D He said he knew I would be knackered, but wouldnt say it to him and try to do stuff. So I hung up my coat, pulled on the trackie and slippers and parked my ass on the couch where I still am. He is going to be an awesome birthing partner.

In other news... I picked up nice diaries in easons, just blank notebooks where I can stick things and write how I feel.

Word of warning: DO NOT LAMINATE SCAN PHOTOS !!!!

Himself brought in pics to work to laminate, but as a precaution he photocopied them and laminated the copies. Luckily he didnt laminate the originals because the paper they print on is heat sensitive or something, and would have destroyed the images.

Still no sickness or any other symptoms - apart from tiredness but can cope with that. 8+5 today. :D

• Advertisement

Ah Neyite you're just rubbing it in now!
    I did get a fair bit of the nice treatment when I was pregnant with my daughter, I think the novelty has worn off now and I'm back to doing the housework myself again :rolleyes:

So glad you said that about the scan pic, I'm a divil for laminating stuff & was going to laminate my one to keep it safe. Glad I didn't now!

Cocoemma I know what you mean about it being hard to hide at work. I couldn't hide it longer than I think 6 weeks on last pregnancy & 7 weeks on this one.
    It was just so obvious, I looked like I was constantly hungover, but the guys in work know I don't really drink much!
    Hopefully it wont last too long for you & you can start enjoying the pregnancy :)

Saggycaggy, I must give that peppermint tea a try, sounds like its worth a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

morning all. Neyite can I set my husband up on a play date with yours? Ah no my fella is great although he did wake me up at 5am this moirning. My morning sickness seems to be easing off now. Although I did have a major gag the other night when the dog got sick, yes you heard me! I'm still really tired but I think thats more to do with work.

I have my 12 week scan on Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. Does anyone else feel a bit nervous going for theirs? I think I'm nervous because I don't feel as sick and tired as I have in past weeks so I'm dreading them telling me that something has gone wrong.

I'm also not looking forward to telling work. My boss is going to go menal!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

hey custard,

i was sh*tting my pants sitting in the waiting room just before my first scan last week. Im guessing its a mix of 1), never done it before, 2) dunno what to expect, 3) am i gunna be able to see it (rachel on friends), and 4) im a generally nervous person that wanted to be excited about my pregnancy but was afraid to untill i got my scan as actual confirmation (something my non-pregnant friends could NOT understand).

But OH MY GOD it is the best feeling EVER!!!!!! ANd hopefully your pictures will be as clear as mine cuz apparantly my aunt said they are the clearest shes ever seen (shes had 6 babies).

But i think a little nervous is good, lets ya know yer alive :D and DO ENJOY IT ALL :D:D:D

Custard, I was really apprehensive about my scan -it was a private one at 7+4 and was so relieved as I have no real pregnancy symptoms, but there were 2 in there, heartbeats belting away. Have another private scan at 9+4 (next Wed).

Just as well, because I think in UCHG they only bring ya in for a scan at 20 weeks. It remains to be seen if I will get an earlier scan due to the twins and also my prolactin issue, so just waiting on the letter now.

Good luck with the scan - hope its amazing for ya! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

Morning all. OMG I'm so excited!!! I have my scan today. A big smile keeps appearing on my face every few minutes, I'm sure my work mates think I've gone mad. My OH is meeting me for lunch and then off we go to the Rotunda. I can't wait.

Is there anything you are supposed to do before the scan?

Best of Luck CustardCream, I'll be heading to the Rotunda too!!

I hope all goes well! I think you're just meant to drink plenty of water before you go in-try not an pee beforehand of course!
    On my last pregnany during our first visit I drank so much water before we left the house and we were getting the bus into town-I had to get out half way there to find a toilet, I couldnt wait any longer.
    So maybe drink once you get there or just soon before!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Morning all. OMG I'm so excited!!! I have my scan today. A big smile keeps appearing on my face every few minutes, I'm sure my work mates think I've gone mad. My OH is meeting me for lunch and then off we go to the Rotunda. I can't wait.

Is there anything you are supposed to do before the scan?

Best of luck today, it is the best feeling when you see the little person in there.
    Oh I can't shake off the tiredness at all. I could sleep forever, wake up for an hour and be wrecked again. I am 13 weeks, anyone feel the same?

Custard Cream, I hope your scan goes really well today!

Caddyboo, meet your sister. I'm 12+2 and spend half the time walking around like a zombie, I'm so shattered tired! Regardless of how sleep I get.

So much for it easing off at 12 weeks! Hopefully it'll ease off for your soon!

Thanks guys for your comments i haven't been all that well to jump on.. I still haven't actually vomited thank god... The constant nausea is soo annoying cuz im hungary at the same time. I've actually put on weight :( prob about three pounds.. last week i was very bad with sickness and today I actually felt a bit more energetic and felt sick but not as bad..

oh ''pregnant brain'' has hit me im making so many mistakes in work and cant even spell my bloody name right, signing off e-mails '' emam'':confused: !! Last week we had tickets booked to see Dylan Moran:), I wasnt looking forward to it that much because of the way i was feeling but built myself up and had took Thurs and Fri off and while we were sitting down eating our dinner before we went and i checked the tickets (i would have checked the tickets earlier but i wasn't well enough to check and kept forgetting to get the OH to check).. wellllll we ''missed'' the gig:mad:.. yes it was on the wens night :eek: i couldnt-belive-it.. i never done that before ha im always the date person.. ha ha.. we were soo disappointed!

Anyway 5 weeks left to 12 weeks and I can't wait, i sent off for my 1st app today, does it take long to get a date for the scan? and will i hear the heartbeat on the first scan??

• Advertisement

Custard Cream, I hope your scan goes really well today!

Caddyboo, meet your sister. I'm 12+2 and spend half the time walking around like a zombie, I'm so shattered tired! Regardless of how sleep I get.

So much for it easing off at 12 weeks! Hopefully it'll ease off for your soon!

Same here...I spend all day and night with my mouth open feckin yawning!!!! Some yawns are so powerful i go deaf for a few seconds and I wait for my jaw to dislocate :rolleyes:.......Yes I thought you get a ''new lease of energy'' after 12 weeks, i can't wait for that.. my house seriously needs to be cleaned and tidied!!!!!! I have zero energy to do it.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement