Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 30: homemade pizza

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So, for reasons that will not be divulged here

Only seeing this now :D

Said I'd chance my arm at this this evening. Have the dough 'rising' at the minute and the sauce is in the fridge. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow :)

shaaane wrote: »
    Said I'd chance my arm at this this evening. Have the dough 'rising' at the minute and the sauce is in the fridge. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow :)

So this is how it went:

Attempt 1

scaled.php?server=35&filename=img0857fv.jpg&res=landing

oh%20god.png

(didn't look the part but was still delicious :D)

Attempt 2

scaled.php?server=62&filename=img0858ye.jpg&res=landing

drooling_homer.gif?w=314&h=360

Meaty toppings (Sausage, rasher and swedish meatball)

Thanks OP!!! It was lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, I do.

Put it straight into the loaf tin and cover it with some cling film. I left it for 2-3 hours to rise (think I might have put too much water with the yeast). Once it has risen to just at the level of the loaf tin, put it in the over - it will rise even more.

I finally got around to trying the base recipe as a bread. I added sundried tomatoes and a spoon of tomato puree to the mix and used the olive oil that the tomatoes were in instead of "normal" olive oil.

I divided the mixture and left mixture rise for about an hour then cooked it at 180 in a fan oven for half an hour. Very happy with it but would prob add in a lot more sun dried tomatoes the next time I make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to say I made this base yesterday, and it was delicious. Have about 3 bases worth left - one in the fridge for this week, and 2 and in the freezer for another time! Thanks OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi Dinkie

I'm going to make this pizza next week, although I've made it before and used it on the same day (only left to prove for a few hours), would it be OK to make the day before, and left in the fridge or somewhere overnight?

I'm hoping to make pizzas Friday of next week, so would like to make the dough on Thursday if possible, would this work? Or would the dough be ruined?

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It will be fine if you leave it to prove in the fridge overnight. There's a risk of the dough forming a crust though. This isn't harmful, but it's just not nice. Lightly covering the dough with a thin film of olive oil and covering the bowl with a damp teatowel or cling film should help prevent this.

You can alternatively make the dough as normal, prove on the counter, then divide it up into portions and put it in ziplock bags into the fridge. It'll keep this way (and the flavour will improve) for up to a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Faith wrote: »
    It will be fine if you leave it to prove in the fridge overnight. There's a risk of the dough forming a crust though. This isn't harmful, but it's just not nice. Lightly covering the dough with a thin film of olive oil and covering the bowl with a damp teatowel or cling film should help prevent this.

You can alternatively make the dough as normal, prove on the counter, then divide it up into portions and put it in ziplock bags into the fridge. It'll keep this way (and the flavour will improve) for up to a week.

Does the dough stop rising when you portion it out into ziploc bags and leave it in the fridge? Wrapped some in cling film before and it continued rising in the fridge!

Well, it hits capacity but the ziplocks are strong enough to stop it exploding out. I've definitely had that issue with cling film before! It will continue to rise, but at a very slow rate compared to a warm room and it's not an issue when using ziplock.

Faith wrote: »
    Well, it hits capacity but the ziplocks are strong enough to stop it exploding out. I've definitely had that issue with cling film before! It will continue to rise, but at a very slow rate compared to a warm room and it's not an issue when using ziplock.
    Great! Ziplock it is so!
    Is freezing dough an option once it's ziplocked? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can freeze the dough. I haven't had the best results with it when it's defrosted, but you can do it successfully.

Any tips on calzones? Using the same dough as pizza but they come out kinda hard and crispy... Would a little eggwash help???
    Cant get them like the states at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Making a couple of pizzas for tonight using this recipe, the dough is proving nicely, and the sauce is cooling.

Salami, Prosciutto, Mushroom, Roasted Pepper and Pineapple on one - with Rocket and Oregano added after cooking, and a veggie one with I don't know what yet.

All served with beer of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Thanks op this was a real hit, made it with my 3 year old daughter and she loved battering the life out of the dough and sprinkling the toppings, way better than making rice krispy buns. Another base and tomato sauce in the freezer is a real bonus, need to find our rolling pin though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was full sure I posted feedback on this.

This is a big hit in our house and I quote "WAAY better than Dominos"

I'm trying to get my toddler interested in food so building a pizza is great fun too for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

I love cheese but can't eat it as it gives me headaches does anyone know an alteraitive to cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I love this recipe!! That sauce is so good, miles better than any frozen crap. Made pizzas over the weekend with mozzarella, cheddar, mushrooms, red peppers, pineapple and sweetcorn topping. I could eat it everyday!!

Thanks a mill OP. Might attempt calzones next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finally got around to making this (only took me 5 years! :rolleyes:)

Made the base and the sauce and used up some Pulled Pork from the Cooking Club recipe, along with Jalapeños and Mozzarella.

Divine!

360411.jpg

I love how much the dough rose! :D

360412.JPG

Advertisement