Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

Well.. you can get em on ebay from trusted sellers but Apple unlocked ones on ebay are gonna cost about e100 more than o2 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rossy00

Hi Folks,

I bought a iphone 3GS from the states and thought it would be handy to jailbreak and unlock as i done so already with my itouch. however it's running on 3.1 firmware and has the upgraded baseband. so my understanding from looking on the internet all day is that you can jailbreak but not unlock due to the baseband.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

rossy00 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I bought a iphone 3GS from the states and thought it would be handy to jailbreak and unlock as i done so already with my itouch. however it's running on 3.1 firmware and has the upgraded baseband. so my understanding from looking on the internet all day is that you can jailbreak but not unlock due to the baseband.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

You CAN jail break it, but you CAN'T unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Lads need some help,

I have an iphone 3GS on 3.0.1
    Base band is 4.26.08

Can this be unlocked?

What is the best way?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PuddinBum

I'm going to buy a 3g iphone today from o2 on pay as you go. Is it unlockable?

Does the week 39 serial number thing apply to 3g too? What should i be looking out for???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. Full details are on www.iclarified.com - linky. (includes video)

Ok, so I've an Iphone 3Gs and I've never upgraded the firmware on it. As it stands its a version 3.0 (7A341)

I looked at the iclarified link and followed the instructions but when I got to the point when I hit shift and restore it gets the file; iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw and then it verifies with apple. This is where it breaks.

Actual error: "verifying iphone restore with apple..."
    then I wait for this: "The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

I even tried changing the host file to 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and/or 4.208.105.172 gs.apple.com

I'm using iTunes 9

No joy. Any idea what I should try next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Why are you trying to restore? Can you not just Jailbreak it with Redsn0w and then use cydia to install ultrasn0w?

AFAIK you won't be able to restore to 3.0 due to Apple changing their signing procedures (unless you had jailbroke and stored ECID info with Cydia before apple made the changes).

I've never jailbroke it before... so I don't need to use restore? I just download redsnow, install it and thats it?

I was in the exact same situation as you a couple of weeks ago. I jailbroke and unlocked using these two tutorials (after reading them over and over and over...)

Jailbreak - because you are already on 3.0 you can go directly to step 3
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4448 (for mac)
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447 (windows)

Unlock
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

That worked for me anyways. It goes without saying "be careful doing this" if an unlock is important to your use of the phone.

Hey savemejebus, thanks a mill. I'll have a look over the tutorials at lunch and hopefully be sorted.

infact that was the steps I was looking at but got stuck on step 2 obviously.

• Advertisement

just curious, but after this will I loose all my numbers? Or can I restore to the current version?

Before the jailbreak process you can back up your iphone in itunes to keep all numbers etc and then put them back on after the jailbreak process (this is not the same as restoring though)

You shouldn't be restoring at all. If you try to restore through Itunes now you'll only be let go to firmware 3.1. This will mean no unlock for the forseeable future. UNLESS you create a custom firmware with pwnage tool 3.1.4 (which means more instructions on iclarified :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

I was in the exact same situation as you a couple of weeks ago. I jailbroke and unlocked using these two tutorials (after reading them over and over and over...)

Jailbreak - because you are already on 3.0 you can go directly to step 3
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4448 (for mac)
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447 (windows)

Unlock
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

That worked for me anyways. It goes without saying "be careful doing this" if an unlock is important to your use of the phone.

Hi

I got my iphone Jailbroken but when I turn it on I don't see CYDIA even though the box was ticked when I was jailbraking it.

Be grateful for any help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I just ordered an unlocked iphone, if I have itunes on my laptop and I connect the ipod will it auto-sync? Because obviously that'd lock it up on me again. Also how do you get your apps onto the iphone without itunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

latest baseband 05.11.0 has been cracked, so now you can fully unlock your iphone as well as jailbreak and be on apples latet firmware if you want, Blacksn0w will be released in a couple of days
    George hot is a genius !!
    I have an unlock for 05.11.07. I will be releasing on 11/04/09, for $0.00

First off, Jody Sanders, I am declining your $10,000. Why? Because you, and the rest of the iPhone unlock sites out there are scum. You make money selling freeware; that's not cool, and I am in no way going to legitimize it.
    Seriously, the people who really lose here are the customers. These sites are full of blatant lies, claiming to have unlocks for 05.11.07 People buy them, and are told the unlock is in development, and the release date is unknown. Imagine you bought a cup of coffee and were told it's in development? Recently, many of these sites sent out e-mails saying they made major breakthroughs and the unlock will be ready 11/04/09. Coincidence that that's the release date of blacksn0w?
    I'm not going to post all these scam sites here, as I don't want to give them the pagerank boost. Rather I'll give you a whitelist, two people make unlocks, me and the dev team. Every iPhone unlock site you see out there is selling our stuff, repackaged in some form or another. Same goes for jailbreaks, although ih8sn0w and chronicdev are legit. Notice what all the legit ones have in common? They are free.
    Now despite rumors of the ferocity of my legal team, they actually are pretty poor lawyers. And the scum who run these websites are the type who get off on legal battles. So we have to fight them in another way, and I'm asking for everyones help on this. Our weapon is information. Get the truth out, that all iPhone unlocks and jailbreaks are free, and if you are buying something, you aren't getting anything a simple google search couldn't get you, and are probably funding someones crack habit.
    This is the first time I have tried to make something simple for the end users, and it enrages me to see people selling it. Let's shut all these assholes down, and tell the iPhone owning world all they need is at blackra1n.com, including blacksn0w instructions on it's release date, 11/04/09(yes, will support hacktivation). You do your part, and I'll do mine making things as simple, reliable, and straightforward as possible.

You have 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paulsc

Just a quick question, i have a iphone 3g running on 3.1, i am wondering can i unlock this? or will i need to restore to 3.0?
    cheers

ya you can unlock, easy
    jailbreak with redsnow, install cydia then download ultrasn0w

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

so i have an un jailbroken 3.1.2 3gs, will be my first time jailbreaking. is it straight forward? do i just have to get redsn0w?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

ianflynn wrote: »
    so i have an un jailbroken 3.1.2 3gs, will be my first time jailbreaking. is it straight forward? do i just have to get redsn0w?

Just go to Blackra1n.com, download the exe for windows or app for Mac and run it with your phone connected, it will go into restore mode then reboot. When you log in there will be a new icon for Blackra1n, run that, and select sn0w and Cydia at least and select install, after it complete it will reboot the phone and you will be unlocked.

Required official 3.1.2 with 05.11.07.

I had previously jailbroken with pawnage tool, so I had to restore to official 3.1.2 first. blackra1n is also now available on Cidya.

see here for updated info: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just did it there on my 3G, worked like a charm... Been nearly a year since I had an iPhone, I wonder how it'll be 2nd time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

When I click on blackra1n I get

Cydia
    Rock
    Icy

When I click Cydia then install it say's error no internet connection.

I got the phone from England.

Anyone know what I could do? In plain English please I'm no wizkid.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Connect to a wireless network and then try it...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

So if I buy a iPhone 3G now from O2 will it have this 05.11.07 baseband needed to use the BlackSn0w jailbreak & unlock? If so do I have to do both jailbreak and unlock or can I just unlock it?

KingCong wrote: »
    So if I buy a iPhone 3G now from O2 will it have this 05.11.07 baseband needed to use the BlackSn0w jailbreak & unlock? If so do I have to do both jailbreak and unlock or can I just unlock it?
    it mightnt have basband 05.11.07
    but you can update the phones software via itunes to the latest, this will give you latest baseband
    yes you need to run the jailbreak first to allow you run the unlocker, only takes 20 seconds for the whole process

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

BOBBY wrote: »
    it mightnt have basband 05.11.07
    but you can update the phones software via itunes to the latest, this will give you latest baseband
    yes you need to run the jailbreak first to allow you run the unlocker, only takes 20 seconds for the whole process

Cheers for the info!
    Do ye think a new iPhone 3G bought now from 02 would have that new bootrom that only allows tethered unlocks? Or is this bootrom only for the 3GS?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi all,

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer my question..............I'm going to the states in a couple of weeks, Just wondering if I was to buy an I phone over there can it be unlocked to work here in Ireland?

Cheers,

Jay

jay28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer my question..............I'm going to the states in a couple of weeks, Just wondering if I was to buy an I phone over there can it be unlocked to work here in Ireland?

Cheers,

Jay
    yes
    KingCong wrote: »
    Cheers for the info!
    Do ye think a new iPhone 3G bought now from 02 would have that new bootrom that only allows tethered unlocks? Or is this bootrom only for the 3GS?
    no it wouldn't, you can jailbreak and unlock any 3g or 3gs with absolute latest official software with blackra1n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lads has anyone upgraded the 2nd gen to 3.1.2 im running on 3.0 is it worth doing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ridelm

I was sutck for weeks with my iphone 3g not getting any signal from Meteor. Got it fixed yesterday thanks to Blacksn0w. :D

Advertisement