Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

vicwatson wrote: »
    ^^

So I should put some water in the bottom of the baking tray before "sealing" the top with foil?

See the cooking liquid recipe in post #3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Where are people getting their is the shoulders or collars? Haven't seen them in Tesco or other supermarkets in ages. Is it butchers only?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Where are people getting their is the shoulders or collars?
    I always go to a butcher, supermarket joints always seem to be a bit small...:D also the butcher skins it for me and I make Pork Scratchings with the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Hi

I'm looking to cook a shoulder of pork for pulled pork its weighting in at 11.6 lbs(bone and all still on it ) . I'm just wondering what is the cooking time and at what temperature for regular oven cooking this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

collecting a shoulder of pork from the butchers at lunchtime, apparently they keep them in the freezer so I rang them this morning and asked could they take it out to start it defrosting.... hopefully it'll be defrosted by tonight or the morning at the latest so I can prep it and cook it for Saturday night..cant wait, it was unreal the last time!

never got a pork shoulder before, is taking the fat off the same process as in the OP?

must also search through here for a good coleslaw recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I never take the fat off until the cooking process is over.

I've some leftover from yesterday that will be used for tacos tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi

I'm looking to cook a shoulder of pork for pulled pork its weighting in at 11.6 lbs(bone and all still on it ) . I'm just wondering what is the cooking time and at what temperature for regular oven cooking this ?

I've merged your thread with the Pulled Pork Megathread here in the Cooking Club because the pulled pork experts are more likely to see it here.

If you have a read back over the thread you might get some tips too :)

butchers called to say they got a delivery today and had a fresh shoulder of pork, went and collected it. about 3kg for €10, im hoping it will feed a good crowd. will spice it up tonight and then cook overnight tomorrow/all day Saturday on low I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    butchers called to say they got a delivery today and had a fresh shoulder of pork, went and collected it. about 3kg for €10, im hoping it will feed a good crowd. will spice it up tonight and then cook overnight tomorrow/all day Saturday on low I think!

C'mon Ronnie, dont leave us hanging!! How did it go?

Satriale wrote: »
    C'mon Ronnie, dont leave us hanging!! How did it go?

Spiced it Thursday night...threw it in the slow cooker on low Friday night...20 hours later took it out and pulled/sauced it,back in the slow cooker then for 2 hours on warm until the rest of the bbq grub was ready to serve. Pulled pork stole the show,over 20 people there and everyone said it was the nicest they'd had!

I thought I'd have leftovers for today,3kg of pork disappeared in no time!

Pro tip: if your other half doesn't like the house smelling of pork while its cooking for 20 hours,set up the slow cooker out in the shed,worked a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Niaveee

Cooking my pork tonight can anyone tell me if it needs to be fully submerged in the cooking sauce. It's about a quarter to half submerged. Should I top it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes. It has to stay submerged (or almost completely submerged - if the top surface is above the liquid by a small amount that's usually okay, but think top 5% not top 50%!)

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes. It has to stay submerged (or almost completely submerged - if the top surface is above the liquid by a small amount that's usually okay, but think top 5% not top 50%!)

Cool thanks. Can I top it up with coke? Or should I make an another batch of cooking sauce?

Coke's fine, it's what I usually use. You can even use water in a pinch.

Coke's fine, it's what I usually use. You can even use water in a pinch.

You're a star! Thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Make this regularly. The only thing I dislike is the shredding part. Sat or stood there shredding about a kilo of pork meat gets tiresome fast. I also hate the sound of the two forks scratching together. I posted on facebook and all all these comments from so called knowitall friends "Your doing it wrong", "it shouldn't be tough" etc. Its not tough its just tiresome.

One guy was giving me "advice". His advice amounted to cooking it for 8 hours. Well DUH! Mine was actually slow cooked for 14 hours and it tasted divine. I just don't like the shredding part. He was lucky he didn't get put in the anti-friend category straight away.

There is the alternative of pulling it to large chunks with your fingers (latex exam gloves will save you from feeling like you've coated your fingers in vaseline from this) and removing the membraney bits or large chunks of fat that way, which is much faster; and then chopping it rather than pulling it. But you'll have chopped pork, not pulled pork. But hey, some people prefer that in the US I hear...

There is the alternative of pulling it to large chunks with your fingers (latex exam gloves will save you from feeling like you've coated your fingers in vaseline from this) and removing the membraney bits or large chunks of fat that way, which is much faster; and then chopping it rather than pulling it. But you'll have chopped pork, not pulled pork. But hey, some people prefer that in the US I hear...

Im with Jamie Oliver when it comes to latex gloves. I'd rather clean my hands and go to it and then wash them thoroughly after. I remove the larger parts of fat before hand anyway so there shouldnt be too much large chunks left. And if you are afraid of getting fat on your hands, this is maybe the wrong hobby. Just my opinion.

Chopping the pork, as you say will make it chopped pork, not pulled. In saying I don't like the shredding, I think it being shredded makes it what it is. I just have to suck it up and get on with it. A bit disappointed by the zero support I got from Facebook though, but thanks for the input here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the reason the shredding part becomes tedious is because, for me it always end being done late in the evening as I tend to put it on to cook in the morning for it to ready late in the evening/night. I do be wrecked at that stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ye should cook it over-night like I do. :P

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Im with Jamie Oliver when it comes to latex gloves. I'd rather clean my hands and go to it and then wash them thoroughly after. I remove the larger parts of fat before hand anyway so there shouldnt be too much large chunks left. And if you are afraid of getting fat on your hands, this is maybe the wrong hobby. Just my opinion.
    Tell me that after you chop habaneros and touch your eyes a half-hour later.
    Latex exam gloves are bloody useful in the kitchen. And if you have a box of them anyway...

If the pulling is really a hassle though, the US is full of gadget makers :D
    These are almost acceptable -- this is basically Colin Furze in the kitchen -- and this is just fupping ridiculous :D

Tell me that after you chop habaneros and touch your eyes a half-hour later.
    Latex exam gloves are bloody useful in the kitchen. And if you have a box of them anyway...

If the pulling is really a hassle though, the US is full of gadget makers :D
    These are almost acceptable -- this is basically Colin Furze in the kitchen -- and this is just fupping ridiculous :D

To be honest it was a bit of a throw away comment. i wasn't really looking for a solution, just saying, i don't like spending the 15 minutes or so shredding it.

Cue someone saying "15 minutes? Your doing it wrong".

But thank you for looking up solutions though.

syklops wrote: »
    Cue someone saying "15 minutes? Your doing it wrong".
    "And let me sell you this $7000 piece of industrial hardware to do it for you!" :D
    But thank you for looking up solutions though.
    Actually I'd seen the claws before on some US show about the BBQ competition circuit and the shredder somewhere else (can't remember now). Found the Colin Furze power tool madness while looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I am finally getting around to making this after drooling over the pics here for years. We're doing a big quantity to feed friends so I got 4kg pork shoulder in the butcher. We just did the dry rub and wrapped it up for the evening. We'll cook it overnight on Friday.

2xz5RUZ.jpg?1

Looking good :) With that much pork though, you may need a few more hours in the slow cooker, I wouldn't even look at it for twelve hours...

Oh, there's no way it would fit in our slow cooker. We just about got it into our 7 litre stock pot. By my calculations, it'll take 15 hours in the oven at 125 degrees so that's what we're aiming for. We put a tray of hot water in the bottom of the oven to help stabilise the temperature.

It's in the oven now - will update tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Oh, there's no way it would fit in our slow cooker. We just about got it into our 7 litre stock pot. By my calculations, it'll take 15 hours in the oven at 125 degrees so that's what we're aiming for. We put a tray of hot water in the bottom of the oven to help stabilise the temperature.

It's in the oven now - will update tomorrow!

What's your address, HMC? :D

Well the pork turned out GREAT. We cooked it at 125 for 20 hours and it ended up like delicious meat butter. We haven't sauced it - we have 7 different sauces on the table that people can pick and choose from as they get their first/ second/ third/ fourth helping.

NV9bkIv.jpg?1

My hand for scale - there's a crudload of meat here!

om6iGmO.jpg?1

youre_awesome_gif.gif?t=1412792292000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭dinorebel

So had a go at this over the last couple of days served the pork in a soft bap with coleslaw and homemade tobacco onions and loved it.

Advertisement