Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone 5S unlock

• 01-07-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Sorry if these kind of threads have been done to death on this forum but I'm still a bit clueless. A family member is willing to give me a new iPhone 5S they got as an upgrade off Vodafone. I'm PAYG with a different network so need to get the phone unlocked.

My general understanding (though I'm open to correction) is that Vodafone probably won't unlock the phone seeing the minimum spend (c.€200 I think?) required on the new contract won't have been met.

If that's the case, can I just get it unlocked in a shop in town or by going online? If anyone has any suggestions of reliable places online, or places to avoid, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

There's tutorials on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Sorry if these kind of threads have been done to death on this forum but I'm still a bit clueless. A family member is willing to give me a new iPhone 5S they got as an upgrade off Vodafone. I'm PAYG with a different network so need to get the phone unlocked.

My general understanding (though I'm open to correction) is that Vodafone probably won't unlock the phone seeing the minimum spend (c.€200 I think?) required on the new contract won't have been met.

If that's the case, can I just get it unlocked in a shop in town or by going online? If anyone has any suggestions of reliable places online, or places to avoid, I'd appreciate it.

You'll get one on eBay for about €20. That's where I got mine. Fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

naasrd wrote: »
    You'll get one on eBay for about €20. That's where I got mine. Fairly straight forward.

Cool, would you have a link or a name for the crowd you got it off by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cool, would you have a link or a name for the crowd you got it off by any chance?

Anyone with a Vodafone billpay account can request the unlock. You can unlock 3 phones per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

guil wrote: »
    Anyone with a Vodafone billpay account can request the unlock. You can unlock 3 phones per year.

Even on a brand new phone? I'll get the person I'm getting the phone off to check with Vodafone first anyway before I go paying some other crowd. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Even on a brand new phone? I'll get the person I'm getting the phone off to check with Vodafone first anyway before I go paying some other crowd. Thanks.

I think it depends on if it's a first contract or if they are a existing customer upgrading. Easiest thing to do is go to nac.vodafone.ie and put in the details and wait a few days for a reply. Customer care will tell you to request it online anyway.

Advertisement