Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are people thinking of this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

For skier especially who want to head into the trees , there is an enormous benefit from mtb because it develops your ability look ahead and read tight narrow sections at speed. I suppose it transfers to busy slopes too ?

You know when you do so many of these sports its the same principles that apply , keep your knees bent, control your speed before you turn, if your not committed more chance of getting hurt etc etc.

EDIT: Oh ya the downhill you wear a thing called a kidney belt , let you guess what the purpose of that is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I took up mountain biking a few years ago too as it's the next best thing to skiing that I can find.
    Every trail is different, some are fast and easy, some are steep and that bit harder and all the best trails take a bit of finding!

It's a great sport and there are a few great clubs in the Dublin area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd love to try more mtb'ing myself (only have a 10yr old hard tail) but I've enough other money sapping hobbies to do me for the moment.
    Snow holiday wise I don't know where we'll be going this coming year. Been boarding nearly 10 years now, been around most of the major resorts in Europe and at this stage it's seems to be always going back to the same few choices. I'd imagine Mayrhofen, 3V or Val d'Isere will all come up for debate.

Seeing as this is a where am I going thread....
    I'm off to Mayorhofen in March for a week and flying to Geneva on December 11th for four days to ski wherever there is snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

maddness wrote: »
    Seeing as this is a where am I going thread....
    I'm off to Mayorhofen in March for a week and flying to Geneva on December 11th for four days to ski wherever there is snow.

Very early in the season that is! Apart from the glaciers would there be any other resorts open? Most open for the season around the 20th.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    Very early in the season that is! Apart from the glaciers would there be any other resorts open? Most open for the season around the 20th.

I try to get a four day ski holiday every December with a few friends and it's a brilliant time to go.
    We usually go on about the 12th of December and book flights to Geneva. I look at the resorts that open in early December and go where the best snow is. A good number of the resorts open a week or so before the tour operators arrive so the resorts are very quiet.
    December 2012 in Meribel we got a catered chalet for £60 per night as the couple running the place were there anyway and gave us a great deal. It also snowed heavily for the four days and we had awesome powder and empty slopes! I have attached a photo of the busy slopes.
    Last year was the first year that we panicked about no snow but drove to Cervinia in two and a half hours and had a great time.

So far I have skied in Meribel/Three Valleys, Alpe d'Huez, Avoriaz, Flaine and Cervinia. Obviously Tignes is another option for early skiing too.

I try to get a four day ski holiday every December with a few friends and it's a brilliant time to go.
    We usually go on about the 12th of December and book flights to Geneva. I look at the resorts that open in early December and go where the best snow is. A good number of the resorts open a week or so before the tour operators arrive so the resorts are very quiet.
    December 2012 in Meribel we got a catered chalet for £60 per night as the couple running the place were there anyway and gave us a great deal. It also snowed heavily for the four days and we had awesome powder and empty slopes! I have attached a photo of the busy slopes.
    Last year was the first year that we panicked about no snow but drove to Cervinia in two and a half hours and had a great time.

So far I have skied in Meribel/Three Valleys, Alpe d'Huez, Avoriaz, Flaine and Cervinia. Obviously Tignes is another option for early skiing too.

I'm pretty sure I know that slope! Leads down into Meribel, and a complete b*st***, you get from that to the main area in Meribel along a narrow connecting run?

If it's the same one, I stood at the top, towards the end of a long hard day, looking down in disbelief at what I was about to put my legs through. The only way to appreciate the length of it is to look at the size of the electricity pylons at the bottom.

Edit: Yep, here's my photo of it

That photo was taken on a Monday morning at about 11am, we had the place to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Glad to see I'm not the only nutbar who's thoughts tend to skiing as soon as the weather gets nippy

Or anytime I go down a slope of any reasonable gradient for some reason, be it on foot, bike or in a car

a148pro wrote: »
    Glad to see I'm not the only nutbar who's thoughts tend to skiing as soon as the weather gets nippy

Or anytime I go down a slope of any reasonable gradient for some reason, be it on foot, bike or in a car

I was at a golf course in Waterford a month or so ago, while everyone was admiring the fairway of the first hole, I was looking at a lovely possible (red) slope behind the green. I had traced the line the whole way down, taking in a few nice kicks, and the best place for the lift.

It's not a sport/hobby - it's an illness. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Its an illness I've learned to live with mind

As has my wife

Sure wtf are bunkers for only getting air on the three days a year it snows enough here to think about it?

I could wait no longer, I've set up my snowboard screen:

Capture.png

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I could wait no longer, I've set up my snowboard screen:

Capture.png:cool:

haha, never turned mine off. Have 4 webcams running all the time although it appears 2 were turned off yesterday. :(

haha, never turned mine off. Have 4 webcams running all the time although it appears 2 were turned off yesterday. :(

Yeah, I left mine on after last year too, but I got a new phone so I didn't restore them.

In other news ONLY 164 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

222 to go here , St Paddys week.
    cheapy in Pamporovo :)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    222 to go here , St Paddys week.
    cheapy in Pamporovo :)

Oh no! That's over half a year away. You're not allowed to look forward to it yet ;)

/163

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I started counting down at 300 days :)
    Ive a month on a beach mid Jan so it comes a few weeks after that.
    Double countdown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oh no! That's over half a year away. You're not allowed to look forward to it yet ;)

/163

/143. Beat that :p

Timmaay wrote: »
    /143. Beat that :p

That's what I get for slagging hawkwind23 off!

122 days...

• Advertisement

122 days...

Close to double digits!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

130!

DoraDelite wrote: »
    130!

At this stage, you and Madness need to be scouring Blue Tomato and Sportspursuit,for stuff you don't actually need.

I have way too much ski gear that I don't need. Fancy a new jacket mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I have way too much ski gear that I don't need. Fancy a new jacket mind you.

I have 4 and 3 snowboards and 3 helmets now. :( I've banned myself from buying more kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Guys once again i have aspirations of doing the board bum thing for a 2-3 months after the new year, although once again reality will bite and it will probably never happen. France is most likely.
    Aside from finding a bed that a season worker has left after from going home early.
    Are there any other hostels around France that are suitable for long stays apart from the loft in Bourg St. Maurice and Chardons in Tignes?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Has anybody took the plunge and booked anything recently!

Puibo wrote: »
    Has anybody took the plunge and booked anything recently!

Yeah, just yesterday, 6 of us heading off to Mayrhofen in early February. We got a good deal I feel but I've noticed the prices creeping up over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

jvan wrote:
    Yeah, just yesterday, 6 of us heading off to Mayrhofen in early February. We got a good deal I feel but I've noticed the prices creeping up over the last couple of years.

Who did you book with, or did you go diy? Heading to mayrhofen myself in feb too!

• Advertisement

Puibo wrote: »
    Who did you book with, or did you go diy? Heading to mayrhofen myself in feb too!

Booked with Crystal, I find Mayrhofen is a bit of a pig to DIY to, if there were direct flights from dublin to Innsbruck it be so much easier.
    We were looking at other Austrian options but most of the other resorts were a minimum €1200

Advertisement