Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to revive the Irish language.

• 11-04-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

In my opinion, the only way we can possibly revive the Irish language to make it the first language of the people, business and pleasure, is as follows:

All citizens below the age of 30 and above the age of 17 have 5 years to reach an agreed level of fluency.

Each will be assessed through an oral and written exam at the end of those 5 years.

If the candidate does not pass on his/her first exam, they will be given a second chance to pass but at a higher pass mark.

Any candidate who fails the second exam should be stripped of their rights and citizenship and should face a hefty prison sentence.

This may seem autocratic or communist, but in my view its the only way we can revive the language or else it will die out in years to come.

I'd love to hear your opinions on my way of thinking and alternative views on how we should go about reviving the language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That's one of the craziest things I've ever read!

Why not try having it actually taught properly to kids first!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can we just ban all n00bs from AH? Srsly folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

How about we don't and pretend we did?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paullyons00

I was expecting that sort of reaction.

Desperate times call for desperate measures however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

luck maith leis sin:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

And how would Sir like his Goatsmeat, braised,roasted, or boiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

yes because the prisons aren't over crowded enough already :-\

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that's stupid

bad op. bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

You're some man for one man, Paul.

I was expecting that sort of reaction.

Desperate times call for desperate measures however :D

But these aren't desperate times!

I'd love to see the language survive, but by teaching it well to kids then making it optional when they get to secondary school.

It's bad enough that it's poorly taught, because that makes people dislike the language and you have to like a language to be fluent in it.

Do you not see that threatening people with stripping their citizen's rights if they're not good enough is going to put them under a wee bit of pressure and make them hate Irish?

I'd rather 1,000 people passionate about the language spoke it than have everyone forced to speak it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the king of moo is right. it just needs to be taught properly.
    i think in first class i learned one thing and it was "an bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paullyons00

I expected to be critized harshly for my opinions on this matter.

you probably all think 'm some kind of pro-communist loo-la, I'm actually not :D

I just dont think their is any other way of achieving said goal.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you probably all think 'm some kind of pro-communist loo-la, I'm actually not :D

it's a stupid goal, that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Better idea:

Imprison everybody immediately and force them to learn it, then do your system of two exams with all people failing the second being executed.

Hey presto 100% of the population can speak the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So even if someones a slow learner or has below avg intelligence theyll end up going to jail if they arent fluent in the language after 5 years:eek: seems kind of harsh :p

This sounds like Na Cluichí Ocrais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Said goal is unacievable by any means. Now about that goatsmeat, decided which way you want it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Why should we prop up a dying language instead of letting nature take its course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think everyone should be forced to speak irish on the street in public and if caught speaking english there given a small fine of 10 euro or so. But only in public, and Im sure people will get used speaking irish so much from being out in public that theyll eventually begin to speak irish at home too. And tourists or non natives can be given some kind of card to wear or something so theyre not fined, and people are allowed speak to said people in english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Any candidate who fails the second exam should be stripped of their rights and citizenship and should face a hefty prison sentence.
    Emm you know it's internationally illegal to take citizenship of a person who only has irish citizenship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

With that OP, forcing people even more will create even further resentment and hatred towards Irish (if that's even possible). A bit harsh as well, considering that Irish is of little use in this day and age for most young people, so there's almost no point in forcing Irish down student's throats when it is of little to no benefit to them. A waste of time, money and total disrespect for student's rights.

If students were given the freedom to choose it or not then resentment would die down, and even more if Irish was taught better. That's how to revive a language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

would never work, the way Irish is taught makes it impossible to learn and use in our daily lives. It is mostly grammar based and less constructive to fluent expression. The only way to learn it would be to hear it spoken regularly and eventually you will be able to reciprocate. you can figure out the grammar afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Another Irish language thread, just what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Not extreme enough.

First of all anybody who doesn't speak Irish should be deported to our off-world colonies to work with the Irish speaking synthoid miners. The synthoids will be programmed with a systematic hate of English and will be permanently set to "sodomy mode". If the colonist learn enough Irish they can return to Earth on one of the G-class cruisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Aquila wrote: »
    Is your surname Hitler by any chance?

Nah, I think it might be O'Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id rather emmigrate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Another thinly veiled teacher bashing thread :rolleyes:

Languages are learned through immersion and retained through use -not the incredibly limited number of hours permitted to teachers by the curriculum that they're supposed to work miracles with.

But hey, don't let that stop you from blaming teachers because you haven't bothered your barney to put in an ounce of effort outside of the 45 minutes a day you chose to sleep through at school and expect to come out fluent.

Taithí a dhéanann máistreacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Why should we prop up a dying language instead of letting nature take its course?

Eh... because it's important to Irish culture?

That's one of the most ignorant post I've read in a long time. What're you views on literature and the arts? Waste of time and money?

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Babybuff wrote: »
    would never work, the way Irish is taught makes it impossible to learn and use in our daily lives. It is mostly grammar based and less constructive to fluent expression. The only way to learn it would be to hear it spoken regularly and eventually you will be able to reciprocate. you can figure out the grammar afterwards.

this is true. having a specific time of max 40 minutes a day dedicated to irish in school will never turn out a large number of irish speakers

Advertisement