Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

Basically every week or 2 I try at new beer/ale that I never had before.

This week my local is stocking a few beers from Marstons brewery.

I am at the moment trying their Old Empire IPA. Very nice indeed.

Anyone else do something similar?:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone else do something similar?
    Yep. Though a little more often than every week or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Get it fresh as those clear bottles are bad for beer

as for me some Young's london ale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Basically every week or 2 I try at new beer/ale that I never had before.

This week my local is stocking a few beers from Marstons brewery.

Anyone else do something similar?:confused:

Try some weiss beer if you haven't tried it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Went to the Marstons brewery a few weeks ago, and bought a mixed box of all their beers. Didn't think much of the Old Empire IPA. Tastes a bit like when I tried to increase the alcohol of my homebrew by adding loads of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Had a few bottles of this Russian porter the other night
    Baltika 7%
    Not too bad. Nice to mix it up every few weeks.
    baltika-porter.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

this week i was gonna be drinking Hoegarrden, but lidl have let me down :(

Had a few bottles of this Russian porter the other night
    Baltika 7%
    Not too bad. Nice to mix it up every few weeks.
    baltika-porter.jpg

Love the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

This evening I have gone for a Bitter & Twisted from Harviestoun Brewery.

Really nice kind of refreshing type of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

vodka and diet coke is the order of the day tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Helvick Gold. Followed by bed - it's been a long brew day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I have 3 bottles lined up for tomorrow night.....

Aventinus doppelbock
    Flensburger wiezen
    Weltenburger barock hell

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

noby wrote: »
    Helvick Gold

why amn't i surprised!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well I can't get enough of this http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/ - its just amazing!

Zulu wrote: »
    Well I can't get enough of this http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/ - its just amazing!
    "Welcome to our quest for a more unique beer"? :mad:

Coors really do have a neck like a jockey's you-know-what. "Artfully crafted" indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

pa990 wrote: »
    vodka and diet coke is the order of the day tonight.

Is that a new beer :p

Ehh whats with the attitude Beernut? :confused:

You've tried this beer and didn't like it, no? Right?

Ehh whats with the attitude Beernut?:confused:

The beer's OK. It's the marketing of it I'm complaining about. Coors pretend it's a craft beer; their marketing department want customers to think there's a "Blue Moon Brewing Company", which there isn't. It's roaringly dishonest, IMO, and sailing very close to consumer protection laws on misinformation. I've no objection to the beer, nor people enjoying it: it's just the dishonest presentation that really gets my dander up.

And you can't have anything "more unique" than anything else. That's an indecent assault on the English language right there.

Ehh whats with the attitude Beernut? :confused:

from the post it seems more of an issue with whats said on the website!!! It is bull to be fair, plus their use of an orange slice in their wit instead of a lemon slice, to 'accentuate the flavor of the brew', is bull too!! Cant understand why people put lemon slices in wit beer anyway!!!

from the post it seems more of an issue with whats said on the website!!! It is bull to be fair, plus their use of an orange slice in their wit instead of a lemon slice, to 'accentuate the flavor of the brew', is bull too!! Cant understand why people put lemon slices in wit beer anyway!!!

Its not a true wit, the citrus fruit is to compensate for using a neutral ale yeast and not a true Belgian wit on

BeerNut wrote: »
    The beer's OK. It's the marketing of it I'm complaining about. Coors pretend it's a craft beer; their marketing department want customers to think there's a "Blue Moon Brewing Company", which there isn't. It's roaringly dishonest, IMO.

Ah fair enough, I though you were being a beer-snob. From the bottle, it appears that Coors have the importing/distribution licence. I was under the impression it was a smaller brewery actually producing it.

All that aside: have you had it? It's easily my favourate beer I've had this year.

@thelynchfella: well I haven't tried it with lemon, but I have had it with an orange slice as per the direction and it make a massive difference. I have to ask: have you had it?

• Advertisement

I though you were being a beer-snob.
    Moi?:eek: *monocle falls out*
    I was under the impression it was a smaller brewery actually producing it.
    Deliberately so. The 2007 Consumer Protection Act forbids companies from misleading punters on, among other things, "the method or date of ...the product’s manufacture;" -- presenting this factory-made beer as craft is, in my reading of the law, illegal in Ireland.
    have you had it?
    I've just had a taste of it but haven't given it a proper go yet. It's not as good as the likes of Hoegaarden or St Bernardus Wit, IMO. Could be worth doing a blind tasting on.

Ah fair enough, I though you were being a beer-snob. From the bottle, it appears that Coors have the importing/distribution licence. I was under the impression it was a smaller brewery actually producing it.

All that aside: have you had it? It's easily my favourate beer I've had this year.

@thelynchfella: well I haven't tried it with lemon, but I have had it with an orange slice as per the direction and it make a massive difference. I have to ask: have you had it?

no never drank it, although i know i will at some stage...love a good wit me!!

if u like american wit beers give 'speakeasy white lightning' a go....one of my favs!!

I like Hoegaarden but I find it a little... ...I dunno, I don't want to say flavourless; maybe a little too "subtle" for me.

I like Hoegaarden but I find it a little... ...I dunno, I don't want to say flavourless; maybe a little too "subtle" for me.

yea its supposed to be sshawow of its former self since Inbev took over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I had some Chimay Blue last night for the first time and found it very gassy but still enjoyable. Is the always like this? I usually drink Chimay Red.

I don't like Chimay Red, but I love Chimay Blue (and White).
    It's not a beer for chugging thats for sure.
    I guess it could be considered gassy (in the same way I'd consider Duval gassy) in that it gets a great silky smooth head, but not too gassy.

What I'm trying to say is - expect more of the same if you drink it again. Maybe go for the bigger bottles, you might prefer the second glass better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tonights 2 beers will be :

Viru beer - Estonian beer
    Trade Route Ginger Pale Ale

Will get back later with how good/bad they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Tonight I'm going with Chimay White & La Trappe Tripel. The last of the 3 Chimay colours to test out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Two more Aventinus tonight. It was the best of the 3 I had last night and boy, what a cracker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement