Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Technically not true MDMA is still used by some psychiatrists.

No wonder they gave me the wrong pills last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If the authorities had listened to the simple formula Terrible music = terrible people then this could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maykitrayen

Namlub wrote: »
    That's like saying that if they couldn't go to McDonalds, all the scummers would start going to Avoca. Not going to happen.
    Well, we will soon see, won't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

The druggies on this thread trying to justify their purchasing of their coke and yokes is gas.

They dont want to be lumped in with the heroin zombies you see zonked out on Marlborough Street but your only one step away from them

Simple fact of the matter is that those "heroin zombies" are far less of a threat to joe public than the pissed up morons that you see swinging for each other on any given weekend in Temple Bar or Harcourt Street....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Dubnobass wrote: »
    Simple fact of the matter is that those "heroin zombies" are far less of a threat to joe public than the pissed up morons that you see swinging for each other on any given weekend in Temple Bar or Harcourt Street....

The trouble with heroin and other highly addictive drugs is not causing violent behaviour when high but the constant need for a fix when not high. This forces junkies to do what ever it takes to scrape together enough cash to buy more, including violent robbery. One way to solve this would be to provide heroin on a prescription basis to addicted individuals so they won't have to resort to crime to get high. The added bonus would be to take business away from illegal drug dealers and de-incentivise pushers from creating new addicts.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    The trouble with heroin and other highly addictive drugs is not causing violent behaviour when high but the constant need for a fix when not high. This forces junkies to do what ever it takes to scrape together enough cash to buy more, including violent robbery. One way to solve this would be to provide heroin on a prescription basis to addicted individuals so they won't have to resort to crime to get high. The added bonus would be to take business away from illegal drug dealers and de-incentivise pushers from creating new addicts.
    I think Ireland has had enough of nationalising the problems of zombie entities for the time being :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

sink wrote: »

Not disputing that at all, I agree with what you're saying.

I think what I was trying to get across was that a lot of people in this country are quick to demonise drug use and write off alcohol induced muppetry as just being "a bit of a laugh"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The same people are those wrecking Oxygen, who'll now mostly likely turn up and wreck Electric Picnic and who certainly wrecked last night for a lot of people.

We need to call a spade a spade, no offence to fans of this group but scumbags listen to them, like they listen to other bands that play at certain festivals.

Book them and they will come. EP - for the most part - doesn't book many bands that attract knife-wielding lunatics.

These scumbags are the same people that hit town on a Friday night to have a laugh and at the same time kick the sh1t out of strangers because the two things are intertwined for them. For the same reasons they go to both see the groups perform and hurt people.

I've been to plenty of festivals and gigs, in Ireland and Mainland Europe and the few occasions I went to Oxegen are the only times I've ever felt unsafe and witnessed acts of ignorance and violence distressing enough to make your eyes bleed.

I blame the music.

smokedeels wrote: »
    I blame the music.

Can't really blame the music as the very same acts playing gigs in other countries aren't experiencing the same results.

It is a phenomenon unique to popular acts though. I've been going to electronic music/dance events for years and have never experienced violence or chaos at non-mainstream gigs. In fact, at a John Digweed gig in Redbox a few years ago the power failed and the audience of loved up E/MDMA users all chilled out and relaxed in the dark while they fixed the problem. No issues whatsoever!

I won't say these acts are giving the genre a bad name as it really is the people involved in the crowds. Look at those who attend the huge EDM events in the US, the crowds who go to Deadmau5, Skrillex and other mainline acts and more and you'll see they're TOTALLY different to those attending the same gigs here.

I've still no idea how to tackle the issue but the Gardai really need to get the finger out if the state of the streets from early morning were as bad as reported. I don't think stopping a gig and making an example of people should be out of the question but then there's also a huge question mark over how much power MCD and co are wielding at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Can't really blame the music as the very same acts playing gigs in other countries aren't experiencing the same results.

It is a phenomenon unique to popular acts though. I've been going to electronic music/dance events for years and have never experienced violence or chaos at non-mainstream gigs. In fact, at a John Digweed gig in Redbox a few years ago the power failed and the audience of loved up E/MDMA users all chilled out and relaxed in the dark while they fixed the problem. No issues whatsoever!

I won't say these acts are giving the genre a bad name as it really is the people involved in the crowds. Look at those who attend the huge EDM events in the US, the crowds who go to Deadmau5, Skrillex and other mainline acts and more and you'll see they're TOTALLY different to those attending the same gigs here.

I've still no idea how to tackle the issue but the Gardai really need to get the finger out if the state of the streets from early morning were as bad as reported. I don't think stopping a gig and making an example of people should be out of the question but then there's also a huge question mark over how much power MCD and co are wielding at the moment.

We have festivals and open-air gigs going on throughout the year in Ireland, but incidents like these only happen at those that cater to fans of specific groups, maybe it's exclusive to this country so therefore it's both an Irish and genre issue.

Not sure how they can tackle it either, in fact, they probably wont and this kind of thing will continue to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I had no idea who the swedish house mafia were, after all the crap post gig, I still dont know or could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd say Joe Duffy's phone line will explode later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

paddyandy wrote: »
    There were very few guards on the main road in the park for the size of the event and plenty of drunk teens on their way to the gig carrying cans and bottles .I saw one young woman fall on the path .They made themselves very vulnerable . They had men collecting rubbish strewn everywhere so a lot of the mess is probably cleared up .I'm not surprised at all .Criminal pop Culture . Many of the Girls dressed like prostitutes.
    So just like an average night in any Irish town so.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

I had a good stab at it chaps, but alas the brutes thought better...

All was encumbered with joy till the brutal Micks banged their cider drum to some I.r.a.gahgah beat and 1'2'3'd themselves to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I blame the music.
    That's a problem with people in this country. Not enough take responsibility. The mayhem was the fault of the perpetrators and one step further, their parents who couldn't
    bring them up knowing right from wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Dubnobass wrote: »
    I think what I was trying to get across was that a lot of people in this country are quick to demonise drug use and write off alcohol induced muppetry as just being "a bit of a laugh"

That's because a very large percentage of Irish people have a drink problem.

I said something like this recently but I'll mention it again:

I am travelling the world and currently live in China. I have attended an AA meeting in China with a friend (she's an alcoholic) as a guest. The people in AA were from the US, UK, France, China, etc. When they spoke about themselves and their problems, they were describing the average Irish person.

As a country we are totally in denial of our alcohol problem. You just need to travel to realise the amount of drinking we do is not normal.

Of course, I spent time in places like Russia and Mongolia where there are also alcohol problems, so I am not saying Ireland is unique, but the difference is Russia and Mongolia are honest about their alcohol problems and realise it is ****ed.

We on the other hand tolerate alcoholism (or severe drinking problems) as normal.

For example, about a month or two ago a guy posted here saying he does not have a drinking problem yet has to binge every few days and gets so drunk he can't remember anything and he can't stop drinking. I pointed out he has a drink problem and should try to cut back or get help, but got slammed for this and the guy was defended by loads of people saying he doesn't have a problem.

We really are a ****ed up country when it comes to alcohol and our denial of our problem.

The solution?

Well a start could be things like this:

- A ban on alcohol advertising.
    - Alcohol must be hidden from sight in shops (sort of the way cigarettes are hidden from sight now) so you have to ask for what you want rather than walk into a lovely, huge alcohol section.
    - No more below cost alcohol promotions or alcohol promotions in general
    - Advertising campaign showing the real effects of alcohol
    - Some sort of stricter law (actually implemented) about being drunk in public

We need to grow up as a country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I blame the music.

Only because these scumbags have chosen this kind of music as their favourite.

Problem is that for whatever reason these idiots have grown up with the idea that this is rather normal behaviour.
    Only one direction the blame finger should be pointed, parents. They didnt raise these criminals properly. Or maybe in their mind they did, apples usually dont fall far from the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Also every single scumbag I noticed was from Dublin, no excpetion.

A 23-year-old suspect from the Clondalkin area of Dublin...

here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

MagicSean wrote: »
    The poster i was referring to stated that legalising drugs would remove the criminal element. Alcohol ciggies and cars are all legal but the criminal element remains so why would drugs be any different. It's naieve to think dealers will just disappear if drugs were legalised.

Sometimes it's necessary to stop people strying from the point.

Straying from what point?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

For example, about a month or two ago a guy posted here saying he does not have a drinking problem yet has to binge every few days and gets so drunk he can't remember anything and he can't stop drinking. I pointed out he has a drink problem and should try to cut back or get help, but got slammed for this and the guy was defended by loads of people saying he doesn't have a problem.

He Doesn't have a drink problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Marley Park is going to be a repeat of this. Could nearly start a thread on it now repeating the best part of whats been said here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Have to laugh at the reaction from ignorant arseholes who weren't even at the gig. I was there the whole day and saw one fight in total (hardly a surprise seeing at least one fight!). In a group of 45,000 people or whatever the figure was, a select few decided to act like utter gob****es, but that hardly reflects the vast majority. So stop painting us all with the same brush. 99% of people were there to have a good time, and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

R019912 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the reaction from ignorant arseholes who weren't even at the gig. I was there the whole day and saw one fight in total (hardly a surprise seeing at least one fight!). In a group of 45,000 people or whatever the figure was, a select few decided to act like utter gob****es, but that hardly reflects the vast majority. So stop painting us all with the same brush. 99% of people were there to have a good time, and I loved it.

Dont suppose you were right up the front in the pit??... wasnt much trouble up that way but I seen plenty of sh*t happening so dont make out that nothing happened just cause you didnt see it.

Got offered drugs several times and seen plenty of people being jumped on for simply pushing pass muppets who were out of the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Naid23 wrote: »
    Dont suppose you were right up the front in the pit??... wasnt much trouble up that way but I seen plenty of sh*t happening so dont make out that nothing happened just cause you didnt see it.

Got offered drugs several times and seen plenty of people being jumped on for simply pushing pass muppets who were out of the head.

where did I say nothing happened? I've read the reports etc so I know full well that some nasty **** happened. Just reading through some of the posts, a lot of people are assuming everyone there was the same drugged up off their face messes. Just being realistic, 99% of people were there to enjoy themselves and not cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I was up the front of the general admission area and there was absolutely no trouble whatsoever. The atmosphere wasn't too bad considering there were a fair amount of skobes around the place. My friends and I saw one guy surrounded by stewards and a couple of paramedics around 7ish when Tinie Tempah was on, heard on the radio this morning that a guy who sought the help of stewards around 7pm died later from OD'ing....hope it wasn't the same guy I saw

I know this isn't a totally fair comparison, but let's have a look at a recent Japanese protest:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-anonymous-pick-up-litter-to-protest-download-laws-2

Yes, they picked up litter.

Is this in any way conceivable in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I know this isn't a totally fair comparison, but let's have a look at a recent Japanese protest:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-anonymous-pick-up-litter-to-protest-download-laws-2

Yes, they picked up litter.

Is this in any way conceivable in Ireland?

Is this in any way conceivable in 99% of the countries in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

feeney92 wrote: »
    The Irish have a problem with Drink, its to "uphold our reputation" not one person my age (19) Can just go out and have a couple of drinks, everyone gets ****faced and looks like morons!! its for that reason solely Im delighted I dont drink! as a country we are not responsible drinkers at all! A friend of mine spent the year in Germany last year, where Beer is sold in vending machines in various parts of the country, many locals took to the parks in the warms days to sit down and enjoy a nice cold beer. Here in Ireland this would probably result in 9 more stabbings. Public drinking is aloud in many countrys in Europe. not here though.....we'd probably have a countrywide Project X on our hands......

A simple google of the words violent, assualt, and germany, in 2011 will give me a very different view of the country you hold so high!

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    Is this in any way conceivable in 99% of the countries in the world?

That goes without saying, but why should it be an impossibility in Ireland?

Why can't we aim to be a fair and decent society?

At the moment we seem to be resigned to letting the scumbags run wild.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement