Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow fog lights?

• 24-01-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can get those yellow jdm looking fog lights. Its for a 2000 1.4l toyota corolla vtti , similar to the car in the picture below,

id prefer to get them in ireland , but will try somewhere else if this is not possible, links/websites/shop names please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I am not 100% sure, but you may find yellow is illegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most of the yellow fogs you see are just a tint/film that is pasted over the original fog lense.

A lot do this so they can drive with thier fogs on and legally too.

Look up ebay, micksgarage or try a local motor factors or even a breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommyspiggy

are the illegal ? hmm mabye , thanks for the info lads will check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

According to official NCT manual yellow front foglights are perfectly legal. :p

290655.png

There was no yellow version of front fogs for that model though, so tinting is the only option.

Now, breakers here in Ireland more than likely won't have them (as weren't available in paddy spec corollas), so ebay.co.uk and parcelmotel will do the trick. ;)

Ring that fella:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/110960326171

To have it done plug and play you need 2 housings (81210-12160 = RH and 81220-12150 = LH), relay (90987-02012), switch stalk (84140-12430) and front bumper side seals (81482-12030 = LH and 81481-12050 = RH). Plus yellow tint. :)

Apart from that, installation is ready (all the wires are already there).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I painted the inside of a lens yellow with glass paint. Looked neat even up close and looked the part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Valtraman2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Illegal my arse. You can have yellow headlamps if you wish

2 ways OP: paint on or Lamin-x. Go Lamin-x is my advice unless you paint the inside of your lenses

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A lot do this so they can drive with thier fogs on and legally too.

Whoever you heard that from was feeding you bullshíte.
    Use of obligatory lighting
    20—(1)(b) (i) Where a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies is being driven in a public place during lighting-up hours, the head lamps with which the vehicle is required to be equipped under these Regulations shall be shown duly lit.

(c) Where two fog lamps within the meaning of article 44 are fitted and each lamp is so placed that no part of the vehicle extends laterally on the same side as the lamp more than 16 inches beyond the illuminated surface of the lamp, such lamps when used in fog or while snow is falling may be deemed to be head lamps for the purposes of paragraph (b) of this subarticle.

Restrictions on height of front lamps

44—(1) Every lamp (other than a lamp referred to in subarticle (3) of this article) which is fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer and which, when lit, shows a light to the front of the vehicle shall be so fitted that—

(a) no part of its illuminated surface is more than 4 feet or, in the case of a goods vehicle registered before the 1st January, 1952, 4 feet and 6 inches from the ground, and
    (b) (except in the case of a fog lamp) no part of its illuminated surface is less than 1 foot and 8 inches from the ground.
    (2) In subarticle (1) of this article, "fog lamp" means a lamp fitted to a vehicle so as, when lit, to show a light to the front of the vehicle and intended for use only in fog or while snow is falling.

Requirement as to use of lighting

49—(iv) Where a vehicle is equipped with a fog lamp, such lamp shall only be used in fog or while snow is falling.
    Restrictions on lighting colour

41—A vehicle shall with lighting which when lit shows to the front any light other than white or yellow or any light to the rear except a red light. There are some exemptions e.g. reversing lights, indicators.

The colour of them doesn't change the law. They're still fog lights - therefore it's illegal to use them when there's no fog or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yellow bulbs.

vectra wrote: »
    Yellow bulbs.

I thinks the OP wants yellow lamps for the "JDM yo" scene :D

Yellow bulbs would be better, more vicious lighting power ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Though aren't yellow lamps/bulbs generally a bit crap for lighting? A reason the french changed from them a good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

Where can you get this paint on stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Though aren't yellow lamps/bulbs generally a bit crap for lighting? A reason the french changed from them a good while back.

For normal lighting, yes.
    But for Fogs yellow cuts through the fog better than bright white.

Mycroft H wrote: »

I find they light the ditch better than standard bulbs. I use a set in the 406 as full beams, have done so for years with previous cars. Probably frowned upon by some but meh

The Seicento on yellows was something else for lighting power :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Selective_yellow it is called, think something to do with the wavelength of light it cuts through fog, hence why lots of foglights were yellow.

And apparently it is illegal for new cars to be fitted with yellow headlamps (not fogs) existing cars with them are ok, as for retrofitting them, not sure. Its a surprise to me but thats whats says in the wiki article.
    Ridiculous if you ask me the blue tinted ones are far more dangerous causing glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommyspiggy

Thanks everyone :))))

Advertisement