Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf 1.4 starting to 'chug'

Options
  • 15-11-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Since Tuesday morning my Golf started to chug a bit. It hasn't cut out at all, but feels as if it is about to. It is most noticable when climbing up gears 1 - 3, not so obvious when cruising in 4-5. Last night the engine emmisions light came on and is staying on, and every now and then it flashes (when I get to the higher revs). Before this light came on the car felt as if it had been filled with diesel (which it wasnt, although my last fill was Sunday night) or else dodgy petrol. My dad took it for a spin and said the same, as if it was 'missing' while accelerating. Mate of mine thinks it could be spark plugs, or maybe the time belt (car has done 89k, last tb changed at 52k AFAIK). Next service is due on 92k.

When i mentioned the emissions light to another mate he said to get to Halfords and get Redex??

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't reckon Redex will cure your problem. The first thing to do is to have the fault memory read to determine why the emissions light has come on. It could be a faulty MAF or dodgy plug leads which are common VW faults. But the only way to know for sure is to have a diagnostic check done.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

It sounds like it could be a dirty throttle body/carburetor not sure if the emissions light would be directly related or not but best to just get it checked out by a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

What kind of Golf is it.

Mark III, IV or V?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

sicruise wrote: »
    It sounds like it could be a dirty throttle body/carburetor not sure if the emissions light would be directly related or not but best to just get it checked out by a garage.

Yeah what sircruise is a common fault but most likely its one of the coil packs. They are the "black things" that are connected on top of the spark plugs. Bring it to a good independent garage, they will most likely diagnose the coil packs and they cost approx €60 each + labour. The garage will need a diagnostic computer to read the fault codes and also to knock offf the warning light.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sure it's running on all 4 cylinders? Similar thing happened recently on my Octavia and it was (surprise, surprise) one of the coils. Felt like the turbo wasn't working and it was running on diesel. Probably not quite as noticable in a 1.4 as there isn't quite as much power to loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mike2006 wrote: »
    What kind of Golf is it.

Mark III, IV or V?
    Sorry, forgot to mention, its a mark IV (00).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

sicruise wrote: »

This is most likely your problem, it happened to mine too, mechanic said the throttle needed to be cleaned and re-programmed whatever that means as i`m no mechanic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Minus the emissions light i had the same problem last year, car turned into a bone rattler at idle and a loss of power untill i got to 4/5th, took of and cleaned the throttle body/carburetor & replaced but the same problem.

In the end i replaced the rubber mounting onto which the carburetor sits atop the manifold and hey presto the thing was perfect and still is thank god. Mine is a mk3 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hate to say it but I came across a 04 Audi A4 1.6 petrol with same symptoms only last month. Ended up requiring new coil pack and the oxy sensor after the cat was faulty. Replaced both and its like a new car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I have a 1.4 golf in with a garage at the minute with the exact same problem. Same warning light etc..
    The fault read as a faulty camshaft sensor. They replaced this, but light came back on a day later. Currently waiting on him to get back to me with another diagnosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

My sisters mk 4 golf has been playing up for a while now (poor starting, bad idle ,dying out at lights et.) so I thought I would help her out and clean the butterfly/throttle body which I presumed would sort out the problem . Advice says after doing this to start the car without putting foot on the accelerator and let it idle for 5 minutes so the brain would learn the new settings.
    So i cleaned out throttle body, started car without foot on the accelerator and immediately blew the s**t out of the coil pack. Result, Engine managment light flashing like a christmas tree and car just about running on 2 cylinders. Next morning took car to local mechanic put it on diagnostic machine, had to replace spark plug coils, 125euro all in inc. labour. all is well now but i learned a lesson, put it on machine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

My wife had a similar problem with her 1.4 Golf V.

Down on power with emmision light on the dash.
    Thought it was a coil first so replaced coil on cylinder 1 (as per diagnostics).
    Fault remained- Was advised to change all 4 coils - did it and warning light went.

Next day light came on again - Back to main dealer, presure test carried out on cylinder and found to be down by 5 bar on pressure. Engine needed an overhaul which cost €1,300. In fairness to the dealer, even though the car was out of warranty by 8 months, they fully covered it and car hire for a week while it was in the garage.

Now, yours may not be as bad, but if the coil is gone, get it replaced because if you are down a cylinder, fuel will get into your exhaust system and potentially damage the CAT, which will be €1,000 + fitting.

Mike.

Advertisement