Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Reunited

• 09-08-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anybody here ever joined up with one of these websites? An English guy I know made contact with three guys who went to his primary school. For me that is a bit pointless. If you haven't met somebody since primary school is it really worth reactivating the contact?

I can sees a certain point in meeting people from school or college but, again, if people are important to each other surely they stay in contact anyway?

I have heard as well of people meeting up with old flames and having affairs. I am pretty sure that my missus would not be too impressed if I got in touch with my university exes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I use bebo for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have used a number of those sites to get in touch with a few friends. Lostschoolfriends.ie is another one I had success with. I feel ashamed when I mention that I found my entire secondary school 6th year class on bebo as well as primary school friends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

someone mentioned that lostschoolfriends.ie here a while back. i looked it up and found only one person from my year on it.
    i have a bebo account, but only to keep an eye on my cousins' kids and make sure they are not up to mischief. yes, i'm ratting out the teenagers and i feel no shame. i never actually thought to look up any old school friends on it, but then again, i'm in contact with the ones i want to be in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

im pretty much the same as the above, however as julep says im in touch with the ones i really want to be in touch with, however i have had a few who have gotten in touch with me through bebo, was good to see there keeping well and to see what there up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

My inbox is spammed everyday with people askingme to join all these. Im reluctant to join up. The most recent is Zebo, no thats not a misspelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Ugh... I ran into an ex-classmate from school about 2 months ago and she was threatening a reunion at Christmas. (Which is especially pointless and weird since it wil be 11 years) There's only one guy I keep in touch with and would want to see and I doubt he'll go either so that's something to skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

iFight wrote:
    My inbox is spammed everyday with people askingme to join all these. Im reluctant to join up. The most recent is Zebo, no thats not a misspelling

I wonder how long before Bebo sue Zebo for infringement..... As for joining up with people on Bebo... out of all the people I see from secondary school on Bebo I wouldnt add one of them. Load of retardos... All my bebo friends are from college apart from a select few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

iFight wrote:

I had a bebo account for about a week or two to find some friends from school until they all started the whole forwarding carry-on, that was the end of my bebo account. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Brilliant suggestion, maybe I'll sign up on bebo so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

<edited due to Ruu's lightning fast mod powahs making my comment redundant>

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It would be interesting to go back and see how people have changed from kids to adults. How many frogs became princes, how a dark bird became a swan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

...how many are in gaol...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We partly used Friends Reunited to organise our 20th school reunion.

It was much better than the 10th - at the 10th, some people were still being a bit pratty and trying to impress - the 20th was much more adult.

Looking forward to our 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

spurious wrote:
    We partly used Friends Reunited to organise our 20th school reunion.

It was much better than the 10th - at the 10th, some people were still being a bit pratty and trying to impress - the 20th was much more adult.

Looking forward to our 30th.

How is it at one of these reunions?

Do people still retain old grudges? There are a couple of guys who hated my guts and I am not sure I would want any stupid comments 20 years after I last saw them.

Are people showing off if they are rich? I imagine that quite a few of my ex-classmates are zillionaires thanks to the property boom.

What's it like to see people again after 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hagar wrote:
    ...how many are in gaol...

That'd be my fear... I knew a few boll**ks's when I were a lad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I went to school in England and while I remained in touch with all my really good friends over there it was really intresting to see what the rest of the class was up to.
    I dont think it really hit off in Irleand because Ireland is so small that you still sorta know what everyone in your old school was up to cos they probably more than likely live near you. I went to school with people from all over London though so was really intresting to see what everyone was up to. Lots of the cool gang had babies and lots were married which is strange cos im only 23!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Yes, I don't attend the reunions, so why bother looking them up?
    I work with a formwer classmate. I don't remember her at all from school but she remembers me.
    But I used to go out drinking with her ex-husband from our class!
    Small world!

L4L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

oranje wrote:
    How is it at one of these reunions?

I enjoyed ours. It was very well organised and out of the 153 of us I think they got about 110, which wasn't bad going. Some people had travelled quite a distance.

Mine was a girls' school, and we had not been 'streamed' for subjects like RE, PE, Singing and Careers, so we knew people from all class groups, which I think was a very good thing. I know my brothers to this day only know the guys who were in their class at school, whereas I would know everyone in my year.

We had a room organised in a hotel, a meal was provided and we'd a DJ playing music from the years we were at school and we decided to make it just the people from the year, no partners or husbands. Again, I think this was good as it avoided the spare leg effect and possible complications of exes etc.

We got on well as a year at school and it was good to see we could still do it. People just moved round the room talking to each other - there wasn't any real structure. Women might be a bit better at this than men, I don't know.

I preferred the 20th one as people had lived a bit more and many had had some difficult times, but in a way that made us all closer, whereas at the 10th one people were still boasting and making pratts of themselves.

I think we have 3 of our group have died, which I thought was kind of high.

Advertisement