Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Photo Great Grandfather alongside de Valera?

• 29-10-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been given a photo to retouch of my Great Grandfather I believe and was wondering if anyone had any background on the photo. The Gran has mentioned that de Valera was middle row in the doorway and the grandfather above left, but would love to see if any body else recognises anyone else in there or what this photo was for. I think she mentioned something about the post office staff... Will see what other details I can get later on.

IMG_4072_thumb.jpg

thanks in advance.

PP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looks nothing like Dev to me, and if he were there he would be centre row front..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Yeah I couldn't see much resemblance either. Would still be nice to get more information on the photo though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nope it's not Dev. The bloke 4th from the left on the third row does look a bit like James Joyce though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Could that be a Gaelic League pic? That looks like Dr Douglas Hyde 2nd right middle row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don’t think it is Gaelic League, there is not a fainne to be seen anywhere. The key to that photo is the identity of the smug guy in the centre of the front row alongside (apologies to Myles) the heifer of the wife in the fur coat. They look like VIP visitors. I wonder is it Radio Eireann? It was based in the GPO until about 1970. What date do you have? The photo looks 1945-55…….Love the guy with the terrier top left!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

De Valera isn't in the photo. Looks like a staff photo from a medical institution or college

Advertisement