Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi A6

• 31-07-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car and have my heart set on an A6, 2005 - 2007 kind of value. Anyway, I am torn between the TDI and the TFSI engines. I'm well aware the TDI will give me far better fuel economy, but I don't do a huge amount of mileage. I've heard the TFSI is an award winning engine and a fantastic drive. Plus it still gets a decent motorway mileage. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you're not doing the miles, the petrol version is probably the better bet. If you go for the diesel you may end up with bills that wipe out any savings on fuel - they're meant to be driven :)

As for the car, like you I've loved them since that shape came out so I finally bought one last year.. 05 3.0 TDI Quattro with lots of toys and the tiptronic gearbox. Fabulous machine and even a year later, still brings a smile to my face every day. Tax is a killer though but sure... it makes up for it with the very comfortable effortless spin down south it gets a few times a month (which also clears its throat at the same time).

Getting one in a decent spec was very hard though - as a must I would say you'll want the full colour screen (not the basic red version), bluetooth (very expensive to retrofit the original version afterwards) and front and rear parking sensors.. it's a big car - though I find it easier to park than my previous Passat for whatever reason. Mine has all that plus factory xenons, full climate, steering wheel controls & flappy paddles, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors, full leather and more but you wouldn't believe how many ones I looked at with the bare minimum first - and it supposedly a premium car!

Full verifiable history also a must on these of course but I'd recommend taking your time, driving lots of em and don't settle cause you want one so bad (I made that mistake in the past)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 p_oneill

Ya under 10k a year and the general consensus online seems to be the petrol version. You've opened another can of beans there as well, tiptronic v manual. Personally I love the idea of manual myself with the TFSI engine, sounds like a lot of fun. I'm currently driving a 03 Santa Fe CRTDI. It has caused me awful problems since getting it and I really want something trouble free, though that's one of the reasons I bought the Santa Fe in the first place. I heard they were bullet proof, seems I just got unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I keep reading.....'diesels are meant to be driving'.

Do people think driving a diesel around town results in the engine going tits up? I spoke to two people last night (driven diesels for yrs & yrs) and they said its nonsense. I'm only asking cause I'm trying to buy a car at the min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tilikum wrote: »
    I keep reading.....'diesels are meant to be driving'.

Do people think driving a diesel around town results in the engine going tits up? I spoke to two people last night (driven diesels for yrs & yrs) and they said its nonsense. I'm only asking cause I'm trying to buy a car at the min.

I think the people you have been talking to are the ones talking nonsense.

Modern diesels have all sorts of bits on them these days to make them less dirty and more greener, things like particle filters (DPF), EGR valves, etc. In order for these things to function correctly and do their job the engine needs to be running at an optimal temperature for a certain length of time. If the car is doing constant short or stop/start trips then the car will not be warmed up enough for components like the DPF to burn off the soot that the engine emits. If this soot is not burnt then it builds up until it eventually blocks up the entire exhaust system. Also because a diesel engine takes longer to warm up than a petrol engine they are not all that more fuel efficient again with short journeys. The more you drive a diesel the more they come into their own and start returning superior fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the people you have been talking to are the ones talking nonsense.

Or maybe they just haven't upgraded from their trusty Carina or vectra 1.7td yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

I've had two Audi A6's.

2006 A6 (C6 Shape) 2.0TFSI and recently got the 2011 (C7 Shape) 2.0TDI.

What I can say about both cars is that they are beautiful to look at and beautiful to drive.

I myself don't do a lot of mileage anyway. I can say that for the 2.0TFSI I was averaging 33MPG and now with the 2.0TDI I'm getting roughly 55MPG both of which are very good.

There is this "fear" of 2.0 Petrol engines but I would strongly recommend them. Obviously they are miles cheaper to buy but that can be the negative side of selling it on. I had my 2006 A6 for sale privately and attracted all sort of characters to the front door. I ended up having to trade it in and strike a deal with the dealership to get the newer A6.

With the 2011 model there is tonnes more gizmos. However the 2006 once you pickup the right specification is full of different technical assists.

Comparing the engines. I find petrol's nicer to drive and would of stayed with them if they were available in the newer models 2011+. However as far as I know they've only released 3.0tfsi+ in the newer C7 shapes.

The 2.0TFSI' 2006 I had was great, nippy and smooth. The car itself never gave me any problems all I needed to do was get a new battery.

If you go with the petrol just be prepared not to claim the vast majority of the money back on resale. Although on the other hand finding a diesel with reasonable mileage can also be difficult.

I'd strongly recommend the car itself though. The C6 was a great improvement on the C5.

The BHP on the newer 2.0TDI is 177 and my older 2.0TFSI was putting out 170bhp both of which are quick enough unless your a speed freak.

I'll end it like this.

"Audi's all the way" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Comparing the engines. I find petrol's nicer to drive and would of stayed with them if they were available in the newer models 2011+. However as far as I know they've only released 3.0tfsi+ in the newer C7 shapes.

Perhaps rather surprisingly, the C7 A6 was always available with a choice of petrol engines in Ireland, and still is. There is a 2.0 TFSI with 178 bhp, a 2.8 FSI quattro with 201 bhp and the 3.0 TFSI (as noted). The latter two are automatic only, the former is manual only.

The 2.0 petrol is surprisingly efficient for a large petrol powered car (even allowing for the small capacity engine), it's in tax band C so is only €120 more expensive per annum to tax than the 2.0 TDI.

However, as the diesel is only about €600 more expensive to buy than the petrol, it's no wonder hardly any have sold (personally, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that none in fact have been sold, certainly I doubt over the past three years the sales of petrol engined A6s would be in double digits) and everyone buys the diesel. If the petrol was at least €2,000 (ideally €3,000) cheaper to buy new, then it would be a better bet for lower mileage buyers and for those that do not want/need a diesel and they probably would shift a few of them, though the diesel would still clearly dominate.

Interestingly the 3.0 TDI multitronic is only €10 more expensive to tax than the 2.0 TDI multitronic, though if one was going to that level you'd really need the quattro derivative, which of course is even more expensive to buy and run.

Of course, there is a new 'ultra' model on the way for the 2.0 TDI, which will have even more power and lower tax than the current 2.0 TDI. It's no dearer to buy than the regular model in the UK, but should be cheaper to buy in Ireland because it will be in a lower VRT band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I'm in the same situation as the OP, and I'm torn between the 3.0 TDI and the 2.0 TFSI. If going for the 2.0 then I'd get it remapped to have similar horsepower to the 3.0.

The 2007 model of the 3.0 is said to solve the main issues of that engine, but my own low mileage is making me apprehensive. DPF and EGR are mentioned above. Would removing these not make doing low mileage a viable option?

Another thing is that I quite like the idea of quattro and tiptronic. There are no 2.0 models with quattro, and finding one with an auto box plus the spec that I'm after is pretty tough.

• Advertisement

carrotcake wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation as the OP, and I'm torn between the 3.0 TDI and the 2.0 TFSI. If going for the 2.0 then I'd get it remapped to have similar horsepower to the 3.0.

The 2007 model of the 3.0 is said to solve the main issues of that engine, but my own low mileage is making me apprehensive. DPF and EGR are mentioned above. Would removing these not make doing low mileage a viable option?

Another thing is that I quite like the idea of quattro and tiptronic. There are no 2.0 models with quattro, and finding one with an auto box plus the spec that I'm after is pretty tough.

Well as someone who owns a 3.0 TDI Quattro Tiptronic A6 with lots of toys I can wholeheartedly recommend it :)

As for the mileage.. I do mostly short local runs during the week (live and work within 10-15 mins drive) but at weekends or the occasional evening she gets a good clear out on the motorway (1-2 hours each way). Hasn't caused me any issues with the DPF anyway.

The only downside is that while she's not far off my old 2.0 TDI DSG Passat in terms of motorway fuel efficiency, the local runs are entirely different and she drinks diesel like it's going out of fashion. Still, all that said she costs me about €200-250 a month in fuel and that's including 2 long motorway spins from Dublin-Cork as well.

The real killer with this car is the tax bill but that's what you get trying to have something nice in this country!

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd be inclined to agree that 170 is probably a bit low given the size/weight of the car but then this is Ireland where "Paddy Spec" rules supreme - as long as it has the right number plate that's what counts! :rolleyes:

My own has 225 bhp although I must get that checked as it might have been remapped by the original owner. It takes off like a bullet anyway and that's without even trying! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭carrotcake

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well as someone who owns a 3.0 TDI Quattro Tiptronic A6 with lots of toys I can wholeheartedly recommend it :)

As for the mileage.. I do mostly short local runs during the week (live and work within 10-15 mins drive) but at weekends or the occasional evening she gets a good clear out on the motorway (1-2 hours each way). Hasn't caused me any issues with the DPF anyway.

The only downside is that while she's not far off my old 2.0 TDI DSG Passat in terms of motorway fuel efficiency, the local runs are entirely different and she drinks diesel like it's going out of fashion. Still, all that said she costs me about €200-250 a month in fuel and that's including 2 long motorway spins from Dublin-Cork as well.

The real killer with this car is the tax bill but that's what you get trying to have something nice in this country!
    Sounds good. :) I'm 99% set on the 3.0 at this stage, so it's just a matter of watching and waiting for the right one to come along.

Your usage sounds similar to mine, and I'm thinking now to leave the DPF, and give it a good blast at the weekends. That's what the car's for, right? ;)

Fuel consumption is the same as my current petrol A6 1.8T, so no big deal there. The tax is the only thing. Over here (Romania) it'll be €480 for a year. Compared to the 2.0, which is a paltry €40. A bit of a jump, but from what I've read, it's worth it.

carrotcake wrote: »
    Sounds good. :) I'm 99% set on the 3.0 at this stage, so it's just a matter of watching and waiting for the right one to come along.

Your usage sounds similar to mine, and I'm thinking now to leave the DPF, and give it a good blast at the weekends. That's what the car's for, right? ;)

Fuel consumption is the same as my current petrol A6 1.8T, so no big deal there. The tax is the only thing. Over here (Romania) it'll be €480 for a year. Compared to the 2.0, which is a paltry €40. A bit of a jump, but from what I've read, it's worth it.

It could be worse! Mine works out at €1494 for the year (or €422 per quarter!) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Be careful if you are going for 2008-2011 era 2.0 TFSI.

consider this:
    http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a5-68/excessive-oil-consumption-2-0-tfsi-165662/
    and this;
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/383430-THE-B8-A4-Oil-Consumption-Thread?

The issue is with the tolerance piston rings which allows the oil to bypass the piston. Some cars burn up to 1L of oil every 500-800 miles.

This can be solved by changing the piston rings, but Audi will look for €6,000 to do it and will want to change the pistons, con rods and piston rings.

Edit: Not sure if the A6 2.0TFSI engine suffered from the same fault but worth being aware!

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh it is.. you even get a lovely roar from the front end when you plant the foot.

Not my own car but same idea...

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It could be worse! Mine works out at €1494 for the year (or €422 per quarter!) :eek:

That's the main bloody problem with buying a car in this country. There are so many beautiful cars out there for sale but the tax is a killer on them. Anything above 2L pre 2008 and you're looking at a hefty yearly tax bill. I'd love to see it overhauled but I suppose it would cost the suits too much money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The trade off is that cars that have high motor tax tend to have a lower purchase price and vice versa.

I've had two Audi A6's.

2006 A6 (C6 Shape) 2.0TFSI and recently got the 2011 (C7 Shape) 2.0TDI.

What I can say about both cars is that they are beautiful to look at and beautiful to drive.

I myself don't do a lot of mileage anyway. I can say that for the 2.0TFSI I was averaging 33MPG and now with the 2.0TDI I'm getting roughly 55MPG both of which are very good.

There is this "fear" of 2.0 Petrol engines but I would strongly recommend them. Obviously they are miles cheaper to buy but that can be the negative side of selling it on. I had my 2006 A6 for sale privately and attracted all sort of characters to the front door. I ended up having to trade it in and strike a deal with the dealership to get the newer A6.

With the 2011 model there is tonnes more gizmos. However the 2006 once you pickup the right specification is full of different technical assists.

The 2.0TFSI' 2006 I had was great, nippy and smooth. The car itself never gave me any problems all I needed to do was get a new battery.

If you go with the petrol just be prepared not to claim the vast majority of the money back on resale. Although on the other hand finding a diesel with reasonable mileage can also be difficult.

I'd strongly recommend the car itself though. The C6 was a great improvement on the C5.

The BHP on the newer 2.0TDI is 177 and my older 2.0TFSI was putting out 170bhp both of which are quick enough unless your a speed freak.

I'll end it like this.

"Audi's all the way" :)

Thanks a mill. I've now actually started looking at 08 Mondeos. I can afford to get into the lower tax bracket and I hear they're an excellent car.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Aln_S wrote: »
    The issue is with the tolerance piston rings which allows the oil to bypass the piston. Some cars burn up to 1L of oil every 500-800 miles.

This can be solved by changing the piston rings, but Audi will look for €6,000 to do it and will want to change the pistons, con rods and piston rings.

Edit: Not sure if the A6 2.0TFSI engine suffered from the same fault but worth being aware!

I drive a 2008 A6 2.0 TFSI (170bhp) and it does toddle through the oil alright - I have to stick in 0.5L about every 3000km on average.

The frequency of oil top-up and refueling are both directly related to driving style - the more 'fun' you have the bigger the pain you feel in your wallet.

In terms of whether 170bhp is enough in an A6 - it wont throw you back into the seat but the car does have very nice and smooth acceleration. It also sounds great at 5K+ revs, but do see my point above about having 'fun'.

So in the end I got a 2006 Subaru Legacy estate. She's thirsty on petrol but an absolute beaut to drive and to look at.

Advertisement