Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordinary to Higher

• 28-09-2013 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

I did ordinary spanish and maths for the jc and got an A in spanish and C in maths , i dont want to have 3 ordinary subjects for my leaving cert(including irish) because it will reduce my points alot , so i am wondering is there a big jump from ordinary jc spanish and maths to higher lc spanish and maths? Or does it just require more effort and studying from me? Because i was a bit lazy for my jc and didnt study much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

ConorD21 wrote: »
    I did ordinary spanish and maths for the jc and got an A in spanish and C in maths , i dont want to have 3 ordinary subjects for my leaving cert(including irish) because it will reduce my points alot , so i am wondering is there a big jump from ordinary jc spanish and maths to higher lc spanish and maths? Or does it just require more effort and studying from me? Because i was a bit lazy for my jc and didnt study much

What year are you in OP

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

If you got an a in junior cert in Spanish you could be able for higher level I don't know tho, I don't do Spanish but you should talk to your teacher about it!

there's a big difference between ol maths & irish so tbh I'd say only if you were really confident in your ability to go for it in those subjects

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Seconding what a0ifee said - big jump in Maths, so I don't think you should go for that. Spanish, on the other hand, should be fine, especially since you got an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Unless you got an A in JC OL Maths I wouldn't attempt HL Maths, it would just be too much of a jump really. People in my class who got Bs and Cs in HL at JC are finding it pretty tough, but it is doable.

I'm not sure about Spanish as I don't do it but you should talk to the teacher first and see what they say. If you attempt honours the worst that can happen is you drop down to OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Not possible in Maths. Maybe in Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Limericks wrote: »
    What year are you in OP

TY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

TY

Then you have 3 years to learn higher level maths if you want too. Very doable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

If he puts in the work to teach himself (teachers in my school refuse to teach TY students fifth year stuff so there's no unfair advantage) and works like crazy for the next three years.

• I don't think you should rule out moving to HL Irish either (provided your standard of the language is good). The 40% oral is a big help for anyone attempting the HL paper (and it is a common level oral, the examiner is not explicitly told your level).
    Everyone in my class this year got an honour in HL Irish despite some of them failing JC HL Irish. With a bit of work, it can be a pretty handy subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why did you only do Ordinary Level for the Junior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

No im not going to do higher irish for lc even though i got a B in ordinary for the jc , i just can't speak it at all only really good at written work & @spurious, i didnt try in 1st and 2nd year because i was lazy and stupid i only started trying my hardest from the start of 3rd year so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No im not going to do higher irish for lc even though i got a B in ordinary for the jc , i just can't speak it at all only really good at written work & @spurious, i didnt try in 1st and 2nd year because i was lazy and stupid i only started trying my hardest from the start of 3rd year so

I was wondering was it you made the decision to drop or your teachers.
    Of course it's possible to go from OL at JC to HL at LC, but it will require a lot of work. If you could get to go to a Spanish 'Gaeltacht' and do revision courses (even for JC) before properly entering the LC course that would help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

spurious wrote: »
    I was wondering was it you made the decision to drop or your teachers.
    Of course it's possible to go from OL at JC to HL at LC, but it will require a lot of work. If you could get to go to a Spanish 'Gaeltacht' and do revision courses (even for JC) before properly entering the LC course that would help a lot.

I haven't done this but I have heard it's good. http://www.elc.ie/ do a Spanish Summer Course, along with a French and German one and the OP should at least consider it.

Advertisement