Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Wedding - where would you go?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

So we are planning to have a white wedding Paddys week 2016!

We'll probably be a group of about 50+, mixture of 1st timers to intermediate/advanced skiers so a high altitude resort with good apre ski & activities for people who don't take to skiing is a must. Want to keep it reasonably priced so everyone gets a good deal.

I was thinking Livigno Italy -high altitude, tax free, good range of activities but the transfer time is putting me off recently, we'll have a 19month old with us (due in 2wks) :)

France is out as you can't marry there unless you're a resident.

Anyone have ideas of the perfect location??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

So we are planning to have a white wedding Paddys week 2016!

We'll probably be a group of about 50+, mixture of 1st timers to intermediate/advanced skiers so a high altitude resort with good apre ski & activities for people who don't take to skiing is a must. Want to keep it reasonably priced so everyone gets a good deal.

I was thinking Livigno Italy -high altitude, tax free, good range of activities but the transfer time is putting me off recently, we'll have a 19month old with us (due in 2wks) :)

France is out as you can't marry there unless you're a resident.

Do you have a favourite resort? I would imagine it would be quite difficult to arrange a wedding in a place you're not already very familiar with...

Would you consider having a civil wedding at home, and the blessing/reception abroad? It'd take some of the pressure off you in terms of legalities...

If I ever get around to launching my ski wedding business I'll let you know ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

If you really want France, you just do the civil ceremony here first very quietly and have a display wedding in France thats what most do, to get around the one month stay required to get married in France. Persoanlly though I don't think a French ski resort would be ideal in terms of logistics and dealing with the hotels etc.

Try Madonna Di Campiglio in Italy, shorter transfer, stunning scenery lively but not manic resort, excellent snow record and amazing village,tons of Spas and all the other stuff you would expect, i think there is even a wedding company operating there! Not sure though.

Austria, Zell em Zee wonderful frozen lake, glacier so skiing is guaranteed, the grand hotel and a number of other venues specialize in weddings and cheap as chips

Seen a couple married in a restaurant in Mayrhofen at the top once looking back down the valley it was amazing also you can book the ice igloo there for weddings, it has an ice church! I **** you not!

Dont worry about the paperwork etc, we got married in Switzerland and it was incredibly efficient,We actually did all the paper work here in the embassy with a translator and just signed the bottom on the date in Switzerland.

Hotels have designated staff to organize the wedding and the tourist office in resort will be very helpful as you are bringing a group that will sped money in the village.

And you will have photos like the attached ;) Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Thanks for the replies! Loads to look into:) the ice church sounds amazing! Mayrhofen was my 1st ski trip as a 5 year old so could be a nice choice!

We probably will marry here on the sly to simplify things (at least we'd know for sure that we were married ha!), have found France a bit more expensive though & really conscious of asking people to join us on the trip without it being on the dearer end if things!

Been to Livigno (too far), and Sauze D'Oulx (village too small) a good few times & Val Thorens (expensive) Le Playne, Les Arc, Meribel in recent years but wouldn't rule out somewhere new.... An excuse to do a recon trip next season!!

Lovely pic Fattes!! Fanny Magee, I could be your trial run at wedding planning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Fanny Magee, I could be your trial run at wedding planning;)

No problem- and if you wait till a little later in 2016 I can do the ceremony for you too!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Zermatt. I've actually got married there.

Switzerland is one of the countries where you can get married if you are not a resident. And the church there is fabulous, and there is plenty to do there for anyone who is not a skier. And of course, the skiing is amazing.

• Advertisement

EileenG, the Swiss do everything right!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Fattes, Eileen G...some questions if you don't mind? Ignore any you would prefer not to answer!

Did you organise the wedding yourself or did you have a wedding planner in Switzerland?
    How many guests joined you?
    Did it work out expensive for guests?
    Where did your ceremony take place? Slope, town hall, church?
    Did you have a Irish style reception ie hotel 5course meal, speeches, band, DJ or do something different?
    What kind of budget did you have or how much would you suggest as a starting point?

Did you organise the wedding yourself or did you have a wedding planner in Switzerland? All done form here but with a lot of help from the hotels
    How many guests joined you? 165!
    Did it work out expensive for guests? PM sent!
    Where did your ceremony take place? Slope, town hall, church? Civil ceremony 3 days before the wedding, than a traditional celtic druid based service in a hotel room with 360 glass panoramic views of the mountains.
    Did you have a Irish style reception ie hotel 5course meal, speeches, band, DJ or do something different? Yep did the full works with a 2nd day of BBQ and DJ and music
    What kind of budget did you have or how much would you suggest as a starting point? PM Sent.

Advertisement