Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 31: Baked Buffalo Wings

• 02-08-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone! :)

So you know those totes amazeballs wings you get in places like TGI's and The Woolshed that there are never enough of?! I do...

I love those wings.. Like, really love those wings.. I would marry those wii... Well.. Let's not go THAT far, but I do have an unhealthy addiction. I live rural (and frugal) these days, so I can't afford to eat out much. And as I mature and I cook more, I find that I am much more conscious about what goes into the food I eat. I am very curious, so I tend to try and re-create stuff I have in restaurants at home.

This is probably one of the best I've ever managed. If my fiance had not already proposed to me a couple of months before I first made these, I think he would have fallen on two knees and tried to put an onion ring on it! Hehe!

I should also make you aware, that although this is a baked recipe, it is still fairly heavy on the butter. So have sparingly. (Or in my case, when said fiance turns up home on a Friday night with a bag of butcher's chicken wings and a pleading look on his face. Which lucky for me isn't too often!)

So, to business!! These marinade anywhere from 4 to 24 hours, the longer you can leave it the better! coming into X-Factor season, the GAA finals and stuff it's a handy recipe to be able to turn to when you have guests. Although you may have them turning up at your house more often. ;)

Ingredients:

For the Marinade:

3 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
    2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
    3 Tablespoons of Cider Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Paprika
    1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
    2 sticks of celery, cut into thirds.
    4 Tablespoons of Franks Hot Sauce
    3 Tablespoons of honey.
    1 Tablespoon of Liquid Smoke. (If you don't have it, don't worry. I have just bought some recently and I'm still toying with measurements for it.)
    1.5KG of chicken wings.

For the Wing Sauce:

1 and a half tablespoons of white vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder
    1/4 of a teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
    6 Tablespoons of Frank's Hot Sauce
    6 Tablespoons of butter.

Method:

In a large bowl, combine the garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, celery, hot sauce, honey, liquid smoke and a couple of cracks of black pepper.

Add the chicken wings and get your hands in there and COAT those mo-fo's so your hands look like they murdered the orange dude from the Tango ads.

Cover the bowl in clingfilm, put it in the fridge and leave it there to marinade for a minimum of 4 hours. I normally leave over night if I can, but 4 hours is just enough.

Heat the oven to 180/GasMark 4.

Drain and reserve your marinade.

Spread wings on a very large baking tray, bake for 30 minutes, then take the wings out and drain off all the excess oil.

Add the reserved marinade and toss well.

Increase the temp to 200 degrees/GasMark 6.

Return to the oven and cook for a further 25 minutes, tossing a few times to coat well in the glaze. There should be minimal marinade left when you take them out.

While the wings are back in the oven snuggling up with the marinade, take a saucepan and combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in it on a medium heat.

When the butter is fully melted, let the sauce heat through and just as it is about to start boiling, reduce heat to minimum just to keep the sauce warm.

When you remove the wings from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes and serve in a large bowl. Combine just enough sauce for the wings to be coated and serve. You won't need all the wing sauce so you can freeze that for next time, or serve it on chicken breasts or whatever you want.

Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

Enjoy Peeps! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mmm, these sound delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Those sound lovely. If I can't get Frank's Hot Sauce, what could I replace it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Those sound lovely. If I can't get Frank's Hot Sauce, what could I replace it with?

Any hot sauce you want, I suppose.. But it's easy to find now. I got some in my local spar the other day.. And Dunnes definitely sells it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Any hot sauce you want, I suppose.. But it's easy to find now. I got some in my local spar the other day.. And Dunnes definitely sells it!
    I'm in France. But I know of one place that sells a load of American stuff...I'll have to have a look!

Posting a pic of them, because I can't edit the original post right now! (notice how my OH's hand is in the way.. Couldn't keep him out of the bowl long enough to take one! Ha!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Look great, will be for great for footie starting next week.
    Tell me more about this liquid smoke. Is there a brand and where did u get it?

Those chips look good in the pic to...are they sweet potato. Care to share...if I said please.....;-)

davidm20 wrote: »
    Look great, will be for great for footie starting next week.
    Tell me more about this liquid smoke. Is there a brand and where did u get it?

Those chips look good in the pic to...are they sweet potato. Care to share...if I said please.....;-)

It was bought online from amazon but I do believe you can buy it in some speciality shops in Dublin.. Fallon and Byrne or the likes.. It was sweet potato fries but they are long gone at this stage! Haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's not even 10am and my mouth is watering for chicken wings :/ These sound delicious, definitely going on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

I had wings yesterday and used franks buffalo sauce. Ive tried a few recipes from online and some have been better than others but franks always wins out, its nicer and less hassle.
    Anyone know where i can get the liquid smoke in Cork? Id love to give this one a go!

.red. wrote: »
    I had wings yesterday and used franks buffalo sauce. Ive tried a few recipes from online and some have been better than others but franks always wins out, its nicer and less hassle.
    Anyone know where i can get the liquid smoke in Cork? Id love to give this one a go!

Red, don't worry if you can't get the liquid smoke... But I'd say maybe the English market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

I have to say, they are absolutely amazing! I don't even order them in restaurants anymore, they are that good! You can expect me to bring chicken wings home EVERY Friday in future!

I have to say, they are absolutely amazing! I don't even order them in restaurants anymore, they are that good! You can expect me to bring chicken wings home EVERY Friday in future!

Oh really now?

What makes u think I'm gonna be making them every weekend! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Brilliant recipe OP, with excellent result. Thanks ever so much. Just the right spice level in the marinade for the kids to still enjoy, served the hot sauce in gravy boats for the adults to indulge.

I didn't have liquid smoke but I used smoked paprika for the marinade and it added a lovely smokey flavour. :)

Brilliant recipe OP, with excellent result. Thanks ever so much. Just the right spice level in the marinade for the kids to still enjoy, served the hot sauce in gravy boats for the adults to indulge.

I didn't have liquid smoke but I used smoked paprika for the marinade and it added a lovely smokey flavour. :)

Oh I'm so glad you liked it! Yaaay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

This has become a regular recipe in our house, which even the pickiest little people love.
    I have a batch marinating since last night and all set for a Wings feast later today.
    Thanks!!

Advertisement