Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Beef wrote: »
    You'll need to sort your own handset. I was an existing customer and thought if I upgraded to the max bundle I'd get a handset - but no... I'll get a cheap phone in argos or tesco and see. I contacted upc on twitter to get my phone number.

I got a PM from UPC rep on boards with my number so all is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I click on it and it tells me to go into settings and set up.

When I go into the settings and follow instructions, it seems like I can only set up to another network. For example it only lists wifi's the are in my range and not my own.

I'm seriously confused here?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

When I go into the settings and follow instructions, it seems like I can only set up to another network. For example it only lists wifi's the are in my range and not my own.

I think I read somewhere on the trial thread that this feature isn't available yet. Not sure if there's any plans to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Are you selecting 'create home network' rather than 'join'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I dont get what you are trying to do?

My network home videos will populate if you have shared videos using a dlna server like twonky and you have turned on scanning for media on your horizon box. Create or joing home network has nothing to do with this setup so Im confused as to what youre doing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i can't get the horizon box to pickup files from my Synology NAS drive, it is not been listed in My Devices.

Does anyone know how to watch videos stored externally through horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

ciaran75 wrote: »
    i can't get the horizon box to pickup files from my Synology NAS drive, it is not been listed in My Devices.

Does anyone know how to watch videos stored externally through horizon?

If your nas drive is accessed by your laptop you can use twonky to add to the folders available to horizion box and stream via the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Finally got Horizon to recognise Twonky on my iPad (no idea why it wasn't working, or started now). I'm a bit confused by the interface. Perhaps I'm being a bit dim - entirely possible - but can you get it to play a list of songs? If I select a song, it brings up just that one song and you can play it. You have to go "Back" to select another. Also, if you go "Back" while playing the song, the Pause button doesn't stop it. You have to navigate back to the song's menu item, then you can press Pause to stop it.

While I'm quite happy with the Horizon box, the early, shiny adverts showing its media capabilities seem very exaggerated. I certainly won't be switching away from my AppleTV any time soon. The Horizon box has many of the same features, but in awkward, clunky ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

who_me wrote: »
    Finally got Horizon to recognise Twonky on my iPad (no idea why it wasn't working, or started now). I'm a bit confused by the interface. Perhaps I'm being a bit dim - entirely possible - but can you get it to play a list of songs? If I select a song, it brings up just that one song and you can play it. You have to go "Back" to select another. Also, if you go "Back" while playing the song, the Pause button doesn't stop it. You have to navigate back to the song's menu item, then you can press Pause to stop it.

While I'm quite happy with the Horizon box, the early, shiny adverts showing its media capabilities seem very exaggerated. I certainly won't be switching away from my AppleTV any time soon. The Horizon box has many of the same features, but in awkward, clunky ways.

And therein lies the problem with Horizion, its trying to be all things at once and that's what seems to be its downfall. It doesn't do the basics well. Sort that out then work on the fancy add ons and it will outshine even sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Anyone know if they will leave the old router? my PC is upstairs hard wired and I want to leave it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Having trouble connecting the box! The box just says Installation with small orange phone symbol above, has been like this for about an hour. The coaxand HDMI cables seem fairly secure. Is it a faulty box?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Having problems setting up home network. Have installed serviio on my PC, and it's appearing on my devices on the Horizon interface, but then no media is showing up in my device name on the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

scary wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will leave the old router? my PC is upstairs hard wired and I want to leave it that way.

You have the option of keeping your modem as well. But it could cost ya €45 to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ulysse91

Hello,
    sorry for my silly questions but I don't understand all !!!
    for the moment , with UPC I have :
    − Digital Max TV
    − Home Phone - Anytime World
    − Digital+
    − Home Phone
    − Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb
    − Multiroom Viewing
    all for 87€ ;)
    I would like to order their new products Horizon complete bundle for 80€.
    Is the new bundle better or the same ? I have to pay activation fee 45€ as well?
    With this new bundle, the multiroom viewing is useless ? (I have 2 tv )
    thank you for your help.
    Ulysse

scary wrote: »

Yeah. I was giving it back and the delivery man said we dont need it. Sure if they do PM me and you can take mine.

mattb74 wrote: »
    Having trouble connecting the box! The box just says Installation with small orange phone symbol above, has been like this for about an hour. The coaxand HDMI cables seem fairly secure. Is it a faulty box?

Mine took well over an hour. Stuck on that installation thing. Like you I was worried. It just takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I have UPC broadband and Sky and the only thing stopping me from getting Horizon is Sky Atlantic, will UPC get this excellent channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

200motels wrote: »
    I have UPC broadband and Sky and the only thing stopping me from getting Horizon is Sky Atlantic, will UPC get this excellent channel?

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

5 is currently disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

Anyone else having problems with the HD channels, i can get sound with no picture, it doesnt happen all the time. RTE 2 HD is fine but seems to happen a lot with Eurosport Hd, normally dont watch that channel but did while the athletics were on.

Also, everytime it does an update it deletes my scheduled recordings, sometimes they come back, not always. Drives the missus mad and then i get abuse, any else have these issues?

I really want to like this box but the search functions drive me mad, please add a day search function and one button delete, (and move the F*#king delete everything option somewhere less dangerous)

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got by box today as well. It was the same for me, I was only getting RTE1, gave them a call, the guy said lot of boxes were posted today so provisioning is a bit slow today. In addition to that premiership started, so quite a few calling to get sky sports etc.

He said it will be fine in couple of hours and indeed that was the case. All the channels are up now including HD.

I still have the issue with Broadband speed. I am still getting around 25mb which is right for 30mb line (that's what I was on) but now I am on 100mb. So I should be getting closer to that.

I wonder if the broadband speed increase takes longer than tv provisioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 finn20

Going to have to call them. Only channel we're getting is RTE 1 and just did a speed test.

7RmZwm.png

I was getting a good 35-45Mbps on our previous 50Mb line.
    Me aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

finn20 wrote: »
    Me aswell

Channels will come up, its only a matter of time. Do you have broadband speed issue as well?

Wonder if they are going to increase everyone's speed together or something like that.

I will give them a call tomorrow if it doesnt get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Got by box today as well. It was the same for me, I was only getting RTE1, gave them a call, the guy said lot of boxes were posted today so provisioning is a bit slow today. In addition to that premiership started, so quite a few calling to get sky sports etc.

He said it will be fine in couple of hours and indeed that was the case. All the channels are up now including HD.

I still have the issue with Broadband speed. I am still getting around 25mb which is right for 30mb line (that's what I was on) but now I am on 100mb. So I should be getting closer to that.

I wonder if the broadband speed increase takes longer than tv provisioning?
    I had that when I first got Horizon when setup finished my broadband speed was still 30mb
    Try power off/on as when I did that my broadband download speed was fixed to new speed
    if not wait a while and try power on/off
    some customers had to wait till next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Did any existing customers pay an upgrade or connection fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Haven't seen any problems with the wifi here.

Speed test gives me about 65-79 Mbps on the laptop upstairs in the back room every time.

Advertisement