Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayrhofen Advice

• 07-01-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hitting to Mayrhofen in a few weeks time for a bit of Ski. I've never been there before so I was wondering where the best place to get gear is. Are there any lockers at the top of the Gondolas to park the gear overnight etc? Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hitting to Mayrhofen in a few weeks time for a bit of Ski. I've never been there before so I was wondering where the best place to get gear is. Are there any lockers at the top of the Gondolas to park the gear overnight etc? Any advice much appreciated.

Yes there are lockers at the top of the Gondola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

When you head up the main lift (Penken) there used to be one straight ahead as you get off the lift. That's gone but there is another one downstairs in that building. Out the door and turn left. They will store your gear overnight also.
    Then you can head straight to the Ice Bar in your shoes.

Also, the ribs in the restaurant/deli across the road from he Ice Bar are epic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

First off Ski Rental try Luigis one of the better ones. There is storage lockers as part of the lift station at the top and there is a charge.

Piste, 27, 7 are pretty nice and if you do them early in the morning there is no one on them

Under Rastkogel has tons of wide open Red runs to tear up on. Best off piste is through the trees of blue run 2 throuhg the barriers at the side of the Hari Kari and under the 120 person Gondola

Best Places to eat on the Hill - Pizza place right beside the board Park best Pizza ever, the Resteraunt on Run 7 that looks like a Tipi is pretty good.

In the village Apres in the Ice bar and Moes and Scotland yard for afters.

Second shout for the deli well worth a visit for some apres sockage

Get up to the glacier if you get a clear day and if you get a chance Jump on the train to the other resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ofv to mayrhofen on sat myself for the third time and love the place,As lads said above you can store your gear at the top of the penken lit which is very handy as you dont have to lug the gear up and down the gondla every day.Mannis is the place to get your gear and some of the best apres spots are the bruckn stadl the pilz bar at the top of penken the harikri bar or the ice bar(this place is a dump in my opinion).For food any of the restauraunts in mayrhofen are very good as aee the mountain huts dotted around the ski area.It is generally cheap and of very good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Off to Mayrhofen on Saturday myself, cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Heading there first week in Feb, got an info pack from Crystal Ski. Couple of good bits in it, have it attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

At the top of the Penken lift there is over night storage. If you rent from the company in the lift station at the bottom, this is free.
    Most importantly.... Enjoy Hans the butcher across the road from the ski lift. Worth heading there for that munch alone :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Cheers to all, for the advice. Looking forward to it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Just back from there yesterday after an epic week, and im absolutely disconsolate blue and depressed... :(
    It was class...

Gasser is the butcher/deli across from the Penken. Delicious wurst in a bun for 2.50. Thats basically where i ate for the week.

Bruckn Stadl hasnt been mentioned yet for apres, but it was the best when we were there. Way better than ice bar or harakiri. Its up beside the Ahorn lift.

Ahorn by the way is a very good run. Its 5.2km from top back down to village, with very few skiiers in comparison to the Penken. I couldnt do it faster than 13 mins. 13:03 was my best time. Give it a go. Its great craic, but narrow for 3km or so.

As regards lockers - we just carried our boards home. If you leave stuff at the top of the penken, then what if you want to get the train to the glacier the next day?
    Any way - enjoy! Its epic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Just back from there yesterday after an epic week, and im absolutely disconsolate blue and depressed... :(
    It was class...

Gasser is the butcher/deli across from the Penken. Delicious wurst in a bun for 2.50. Thats basically where i ate for the week.

Bruckn Stadl hasnt been mentioned yet for apres, but it was the best when we were there. Way better than ice bar or harakiri. Its up beside the Ahorn lift.

Ahorn by the way is a very good run. Its 5.2km from top back down to village, with very few skiiers in comparison to the Penken. I couldnt do it faster than 13 mins. 13:03 was my best time. Give it a go. Its great craic, but narrow for 3km or so.

As regards lockers - we just carried our boards home. If you leave stuff at the top of the penken, then what if you want to get the train to the glacier the next day?
    Any way - enjoy! Its epic!!

Was "The Fridge" on the go when you were there?? Any good??

http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101029/101106/101697/the-fridge.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Yes it was. We finished every day there mainly cause you could board down to the village without having to queue at the stupid penken. I love boarding back into the village last thing at the end of the day, which is the one thing that isnt great in Mayerhofen

Its great craic boarding after 3 or 4 gluvines too...
    Just be careful. Its a narrow red for 4 km with one or 2 beautiful steep open sections that you can really test yourself on! The narrow sections arent for everyone - hence why its so good. No one goes there... (Its not really narrow - about 4metres)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SenorCarlsberg

Folks, very helpful posting above. i'm off to Mayrhofen in 3 weeks and am looking forward to the Fridge experience already! Staying in the Hotel Strass Garni near to the Penken lift. This will be our first time snowboarding in Austria after 2 years in the French Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cinaman

Hi there

Im trying to get a weeks skiing in Mayrhofen on 23 feb for a week. Just wondering if anybody had any advice for somewhere decent to stay within the town itself. Accommodation appears to be pretty difficult to find. We dont want to go with a ski package as we have flights already booked. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There's a huge amount of B&Bs in Mayrhofen that you can stay in. I stayed in one with a package this year as it was cheap and suited a group.

Breakfast isn't great in them, bread and not particularly nice ham/cheese/salami/etc + Tea/coffee, but if you're just looking for somewhere to wash, sleep etc they're perfect. Ours was clean, Lady running it was friendly. Bedrooms basic but comfortable with en suite and fresh towels each day. Like I said, they're perfect if you're on a budget and just was something basic. There's loads of places to eat in Mayrhofen so you won't be stuck going to the same place for dinner each night.

http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101031/101218/101197/Bedbreakfast.html?session=d7rr9jhkhcdhqc3o1e7rrdoq41

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cinaman

Thanks...i will check this out. If anybody could recommend a particular place i would appreciate it. Ideally somewhere within walking distance of the town center

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ contact the tourist office. There are plenty of pensions in the town that you might not find online that they will be able to source for you. Any pension I have stayed in in Austria has always been clean and tidy. Make sure you stipulate that you want in the town as a lot of places can be outside town (which IMO is no problem as the ski buses run throughout the hamlets surrounding the town).

You might find it difficult though as thats still school holiday time for some parts of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 madra01

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help. I am looking to book accommodation in the town of Mayrhofen for Jan 2015, which is proving difficult because a lot of the hotels are coming back to me saying that it is only possible to make reservation Saturday to Saturday and I need accommodation for 5 nights only.

Can anybody recommend accommodation for 4 adults sharing for 5 nights only for January 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thats not unusual for Austrian ski resorts. Someone may come on with a recommendation of a place that will take a booking for less than a week. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait until the week beforehand to book places which have been holding out for a longer booking will take ones for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Sat to Sat is indeed the norm as that's basically when the flights arrive with the tori operators. Oddly in the summer it changes to Wed to Wed.

Your best bet is to try to get an apartment but keep in mind they have no trouble getting bookings in Mayrhofen. Try booking.com

madra01 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anybody recommend accommodation for 4 adults sharing for 5 nights only for January 2015?

What dates ?If it is the Russian holidays you will be struggling as the place is rammed and normally only does 7 day weeks. The tourist board below might be the best place to start

https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101031/101218/101250/search-accommodation.html

• Advertisement

Thanks Fattes for the reply the dates I'm looking for are January 15th to the 20th. Is that during the Russian Holiday time?

Thanks Fattes for the reply the dates I'm looking for are January 15th to the 20th. Is that during the Russian Holiday time?

The week after it's normally the 6th-13th so bonus for you those dates you have are traditionally the cheapest and quietest week of the year on the hill

Excellent Fattes. I'm thinking of booking hotel Edenlehen as they have availability for the dates & have a room suitable for 3 sharing. Is this hotel located close to the slopes? Sorry for all the questions but appreciate your input.

Excellent Fattes. I'm thinking of booking hotel Edenlehen as they have availability for the dates & have a room suitable for 3 sharing. Is this hotel located close to the slopes? Sorry for all the questions but appreciate your input.

No hassle ask away, it's about a 15 minute walk, Lockers @ lift. It's probably on the very expansive bus route for the village so 5mim probably! Don't stay out that side when I am there.

No slopes reallyback to the village in Mayrhofen the penman lift takes you up and back to village level. 1 slope on the Ahorn side comes to village and is fantastic!

Skiing is from1,100 meters to 2,800 so very snow sure and a glacier up the road 10min covered on the Zillertal pass

Thanks Fattes. I wired the hotel the deposit today but I'm sure I'll be back on with questions closer to the time! Thanks again.

Thanks Fattes. I wired the hotel the deposit today but I'm sure I'll be back on with questions closer to the time! Thanks again.

No hassle at all, I have a standard Mayrhofen tip sheet I will PM it to you

That would be great Fattes if you could PM that to me.

Thanks again.

Fattes, quick question for you. We need to change the dates already booked for Mayrhofen and we are looking at either the 12th February to the 17th February 2015 OR from the 26th February to the 3rd March. What would be the best time to go for the snow??

Hope you don't mind me asking....

Fattes, quick question for you. We need to change the dates already booked for Mayrhofen and we are looking at either the 12th February to the 17th February 2015 OR from the 26th February to the 3rd March. What would be the best time to go for the snow??

No problem at all, as long as you don't mind the rubbish answer! The snow at that time will depend on the weather! You could get a good week or bad week either of them. Sorry! Mother nature is a bit unpredictable!

I would look at School Holidays though I suspect the 17th is a School week if so avoid like the plague! Snow in Mayrhofen is normally good well into late March and you have the surity of the Glacier, the best weeks I have had there for conditions are in December and Mid March.

Let me know if you need anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

My best is still April of this year.

Advertisement