Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 10: America style Pancake with maple syrup and bacon

Options
  • 10-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

America style Pancake with maple syrup and bacon

This is my ultimate comfort food, they are lovely as a treat for breakfast or brunch (I am sure I probably had them for dinner at some stage too). They are quick and easy to make but whoever you are making them for will love them!
    Ingredients:
    150g Plain flour
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 egg
    250ml buttermilk
    30g melted butter

DSC01589.jpg

What you need to do is add all the dry ingredients into a large mixing. In a measuring jug mix the buttermilk and egg together. Start to combine the wet ingredients with the dry, I use a whisk to get more air into the mixture, initially add about 3/4 of the liquid and beat the mixture. Once the initial mixture is well mixed add the rest of the liquid until you have a nice thick batter (sometimes I don't need all the liquid).
    DSC01592.jpg
    Heat a pan to a medium heat and melt the butter. Add the butter to the mixture and give it another good whisk. I don't use any butter or oil on the pan to cook the pancakes as they cook better on a non stick dry pan(I usually use the same pan as I did for the melting of the butter, so the first 2 pancakes are extra buttery).

DSC01595.jpg
    You can make them into any shapes or sizes, I love to do chunky ones. Add the mixture to the pan ( I use a soup ladle) once you start to see bubbles on the top of the mixture they are ready to turn over. When they are cooked both sides I usually keep them in a warm oven until they are all cook.

DSC01600-1.jpg
    I serve mine with crispy fried bacon and maple syrup (currently Aunt Jemima maple syrup (yum!)).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/looks up from his plate of cornmeal blueberry pancakes with homemade vanilla ice cream.
    /looks around for the camera emc2 is using to spy on his kitchen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

mmmmmm Pancakes. Will deffo have to cook these up in the morning!!

Swap out half the flour for cornmeal (aka polenta in Ireland for some reason) and add in blueberries and you get these:

195876.jpg

Extra bonus points if you can serve with a scoop of bacon ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I have almost all these ingredients.
    I have a week off this week.

This. Is. Going. To. Be. BEAUTIFUL.

Can I have a volunteer to roll me to work the week after?!

Thank you very much emc2 - looks like an awesome recipe, and what a wonderful choice of toppings!

• Advertisement

photo-5.jpg

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM *so full may explode*

As good as I thought they'd be :) Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I was wondering what to cook the wife for mothers day (on behalf of my daughter..) and i think we have a winner!

photo-6.jpg

I think I have a pancake problem.

The problem is my stomach is too small to allow me to eat pancakes all day, every day.
    NOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Sweet divine, could be late for work in the morning :-)

Wow Op.
    QQR9jl.jpg

Ended up having these on mothers day and Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Made them for my Wife (on her first mothers day) and also my mother in-law.....I am still hearing about how good they were! glad you all enjoy make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

That recipe is excellent with an over-ripe banana or two mashed into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Amazing, I love these. Maple syrup and bacon is the bomb.

Just a side note, Aunt Jemimas syrup is not Maple syrup. Here are the ingredients:
    INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Swampy wrote: »

Just a side note, Aunt Jemimas syrup is not Maple syrup. Here are the ingredients:

I completely agree, it's Maple flavoured sugary goodness. I do use proper maple syrup but at the moment I have a bottle of Aunt Jemimas!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Swampy wrote: »

I noticed the same thing on the packaging of the "Maple" syrup that you get with the pancakes in Burger King.

The 'Maple syrup' I bought was 35% maple syrup.

The pure was much dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I just made these.
    I'm a vegetarian, so I had grilled slices of haloumi with mine - chewy and salty, it made the perfect substitute for bacon.
    The pancakes were delicious, so light and fluffy.
    Thanks so much for the recipe, OP.

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

quaalude wrote: »
    I just made these.
    I'm a vegetarian, so I had grilled slices of haloumi with mine - chewy and salty, it made the perfect substitute for bacon.
    There is no perfect "substitute" for bacon other than bacon!

Nice pics though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've just made them, and all I can say is wow. :D

When I used to live in the US, I would on occasion hit IHOP (International House of Pancakes) and devour pancakes and bacon.

While I wasn't organised enough to get the rashers on this morning, I thoroughly enjoyed these.

As a side note, I made them with regular milk as I couldn't see buttermilk in the shop, but it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

quaalude wrote: »
    I just made these.
    The pancakes were delicious, so light and fluffy.
    Thanks so much for the recipe, OP.

Thanks for that idea, quaalude!
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    There is no perfect "substitute" for bacon other than bacon!

Nice pics though. ;)

Seriously though, BaZmO, that halloumi is pretty good. It's remarkable stuff: like quaalude said it's salty and chewy and when you pan fry it, it takes on colour and doesn't melt like most other cheeses.

This is what mine turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12719

Thanks for your recipe emc2. They were delicious and I will definitely be making them again.

• Advertisement

*looks at bacon and cream cheese bagel*

*looks at pancakes*

*looks back at bagel*

*goes to shop*

These are genuinely ADDICTIVE, and this thread needs a warning label.

Seriously though, BaZmO, that halloumi is pretty good. It's remarkable stuff: like quaalude said it's salty and chewy and when you pan fry it, it takes on colour and doesn't melt like most other cheeses.
    Next you'll be telling be that Quorn is a perfect substitute for beef!! Gerrup owra dat!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Next you'll be telling be that Quorn is a perfect substitute for beef!! Gerrup owra dat!! ;)

hehe :pac:

Wouldn't dream of it! That'd be stretching credibility a bit too far.

Let's just say that if you went to make this and discovered that the bacon had already been savaged and all that was left in the fridge was that feckin' halloumi that it might just be acceptable. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Another deadly way to cook haloumi is a to throw big slice on the barbeque - have it in a bun instead of a burger, with all the usual burger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Or a halloumi and portobello mushroom burger - really good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I've made these Friday, Saturday and today. They are delicious, thanks so much for the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

OP I have been making these for breakfast 2/3 times a week since I saw your recipe.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 romanm

Guill wrote: »
    The 'Maple syrup' I bought was 35% maple syrup.

The pure was much dearer.

Have you tried date syrup instead of maple syrup?it's 100% made of dates,very sweaty but or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Real streaky bacon cooked crispy please (flattened out with the back of a knife if too thick).... not those pale flat watery pieces of chemical infused plastic (I'm talking about the rashers - not the haloumi!)

• Advertisement

Made these again this morning first time in a while. They were yum! I some times add blueberry etc after adding the mix to the pan. This also work for chocolate (I had to try it!)

Advertisement