Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

• 24-03-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

Just wondering.If the ball is on the ground and you kick it over do you get the 3 points or is it play on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No is the quick answer.

For points to be scored Law 9 says that it must be from a drop kick. Presumably play continues if a ball is fly-hacked over the crossbar in the normal fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Is it possible to score an Own Drop Goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

randomer wrote: »

Sort of depends on your medication!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

haha no, but the prospect of such a thing is quite hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Another odd question.

What happens if the ball goes wide of the posts, but then the wind or something else causes the ball to go through the posts the wrong way?

Essentially the ball did go over the bar, and between the posts, just backwards. Would this count for a penalty, conversion or drop goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Another odd question.

What happens if the ball goes wide of the posts, but then the wind or something else causes the ball to go through the posts the wrong way?

Essentially the ball did go over the bar, and between the posts, just backwards. Would this count for a penalty, conversion or drop goal?

Wouldn't count.

This is the closest you'll ever see to something like that happening on a rugby pitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCTqhVYbBs

Bizarre.

Another odd question.

Wouldn't count.

However, if the ball was to pass over the crossbar and then blow back again, the points would be awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Another odd question.

You either have a lot of time on your hands or have a good supply of high quality drugs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Another question from me, though I kinda guess the answer...

Are you allowed throw the ball forward (such as over the head of oposition) and then catch it yourself again. I guss its considered a forward pass.

However if you "fumble" the ball forward and catch it its ok? Even if the fumble is to your advantage?

enda1 wrote: »

Are you allowed throw the ball forward (such as over the head of oposition) and then catch it yourself again. I guss its considered a forward pass.

However if you "fumble" the ball forward and catch it its ok? Even if the fumble is to your advantage?
    The situation you outline is a "throw forward" and even though it is collected by the person who threw it, it's still deemed to be a "throw forward". As you describe it here, it would be a penalty to the defending team.

There was a situation a couple of years ago when BOD did something like this, but the ball was judged not to have gone forward, but across the field, and play continued. Replays showed the forward progress of the ball, but hey ho....

You're not deemed to have knocked a ball on until it hits either the ground or another player, so once you regain possession of the ball yourself, it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭Goose81

Like this

I think this was the first time it was done on a large scale ,I think clarification was made after that made it illegal.There was lots of debate over whether it was legal or not at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

YouTube is blocked in work, is that a clip of Rokocoko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The O'Driscoll thing comes back to the "momentum" thing, there was a video explaining it posted on this bored a while back. Once the angle of the ball is lateral or backwards it's allowed, ie. the ball may move forward even if thrown in a lateral direction. The momentum is usually judged by the player's movement after the pass, so O'Driscoll got away with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The laws of rugby tend to dictate that whatever you achieve is by your own forethought and actions. Obviously you can't allow for the bounce of an oval ball though. "Fluke" points, be they for or against are not part of the game.
    I often wondered about that O'Driscoll move. It looks alot like crossing to me, even though I suppose as the ball wasn't technically in his possesion, the ball carrier wasn't being shielded from a potential tackler. Still suprised the ref didn't blow it up out of shock though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Since this seems to be the thread for asking questions, I was wondering if you're allowed to 'save' a penalty kick. For instance, had Jones's kick last Saturday had a bit more legs, would someone be allowed to jump up to stop it going over the bar? I'm assuming not, or POC et al would be lined up ready to grab it.

Thanks,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Mucco wrote: »
    Since this seems to be the thread for asking questions, I was wondering if you're allowed to 'save' a penalty kick. For instance, had Jones's kick last Saturday had a bit more legs, would someone be allowed to jump up to stop it going over the bar? I'm assuming not, or POC et al would be lined up ready to grab it.

Thanks,

M

you used to be able to but the laws were amended to stop people blocking penalties from going over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Mucco wrote: »

You can mark a penalty so therefore you and jump (unaided) to catch the ball before it goes over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

can you score a drop goal from a restart? id assume not.

No you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What's the deal with that one foot in touch thing when catching a kick?

• Advertisement

i believe the person becomes an extension of the line and thus the ball is considered to be out if caught (even if infield) by a player who has a foot in touch.
    Thus if the opposition kick the ball outside (or if it was passed back into) the 22 and a player catches it while having a foot in touch the ball is considered to be out on the full (even if it would have bounced infield) and the lineout is where ever the ball was kicked from.

(I think that's right but open to correction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Any chance someone can change the topic title to "Laws" instead of "Rules". I'm being a pedant but rugby has laws, not rules.

That's correct Ruggiebear.

[pedant]Can you change the tile of the sticky to "Laws" rather than "Rules"?[/pedant]

barnesd wrote: »
    Any chance someone can change the topic title to "Laws" instead of "Rules". I'm being a pedant but rugby has laws, not rules.
    That's correct Ruggiebear.

[pedant]Can you change the tile of the sticky to "Laws" rather than "Rules"?[/pedant]

Oops that was me! and i hate it as well

to my eternal shame!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i believe the person becomes an extension of the line and thus the ball is considered to be out if caught (even if infield) by a player who has a foot in touch.
    Thus if the opposition kick the ball outside (or if it was passed back into) the 22 and a player catches it while having a foot in touch the ball is considered to be out on the full (even if it would have bounced infield) and the lineout is where ever the ball was kicked from.

(I think that's right but open to correction)

Do you need to catch the ball or is just touching it before it touches the ground enough (of course with one foot or more in touch)?

Do you need to catch the ball or is just touching it before it touches the ground enough (of course with one foot or more in touch)?
    good question...i don't know tbh!

The ball must be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

And it must be moving. If you have one foot in touch and just pick up a static ball it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Thanks for the sticky-ness,expect a LOT of random questions[probably from me]
    like: if a ball is kicked[I.e jones last weekend] and bounces over the bar is it counted as a score?obviously you would need the perfect bounce and the ball coming down from outer space for the exact momentum to clear the bar but IF

• Advertisement

Thanks for the sticky-ness,expect a LOT of random questions[probably from me]
    like: if a ball is kicked[I.e jones last weekend] and bounces over the bar is it counted as a score?obviously you would need the perfect bounce and the ball coming down from outer space for the exact momentum to clear the bar but IF
    No, once the ball has touched the ground or a team-mate, the score will not be allowed.

Advertisement