Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does this pic tell you?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 1:14pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Combution chamber of Sime cast iron boiler. I will give more information later if anyone interested.

319922.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What's causeing the rust?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

corkgsxr wrote: »

From what I remember..........
    Exposed Iron + water + air = Rust

Googled:

4 Fe(s) + 6 H2O(l) + 3 O2(g) 4 Fe(OH)3(s)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

That said, you wouldn't know what caused it. Vandals probably.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

corkgsxr wrote: »

Probably lack of bypass. Most older installs around here didn't have a bypass plumbed in. I come across lots of oil boilers with red sand-like deposits.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Is that not just residue from combustion of kero, as judging by the 'whiteness' of and the amount of scale in the boiler it was over-aired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

to me it looks grossly over aired quite a shallow chamber so its easy to do

DGOBS wrote: »
    Is that not just residue from combustion of kero, as judging by the 'whiteness' of and the amount of scale in the boiler it was over-aired

It is burning diesel and the red residue seems normal enough to me. You seem correct on over airing as I was called because it was hunting. Blast tube fins a little sooty. In pic I thought there was signs of flame impingement near burner. It always had an 80s nozzle but I have changed to 60s. FGA and smoke ok on old and new nozzle. Some seem to be very forgiving boiler. Has a high flue without a draught diverter, so is probably both over and under aired at times.

jimf wrote: »
    to me it looks grossly over aired quite a shallow chamber so its easy to do

Chamber is about 1.5 times longer than it is wide. Pic makes it look different. I will post FGA when I get home.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If it was hunting, only when cold would suggest over-aired (lifting the flame) or maybe the chamber/burner gaskets are leaking causing recycling

Good dose of dualx on those surfaces when hot will give you a lovely as-new boiler chamber

that rear refractory brick doesn't seem to be showing any signs of excess heat/flame bouncing off it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hunting??

that rear refractory brick doesn't seem to be showing any signs of excess heat/flame bouncing off it

No Jim, none at all. The chamber looked a bit sooty next to burner and that along with shape of chamber lead me to decide on a narrower angled nozzle. What do you think? Going to post FGA's on next post.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Hunting??

constant stop/start mode flame not able to establish

Wearb wrote: »
    No Jim, none at all. The chamber looked a bit sooty next to burner and that along with shape of chamber lead me to decide on a narrower angled nozzle. What do you think? Going to post FGA's on next post.

what were the fluways up through the boiler like they can be a bitch to clean what I use is a wirebrush for cleaning the barrels in a shotgun can be bought in any gunshop and 1 of the best investments I made a few years ago great for the job

First FGA before changing nozzle.

319974.jpg

New FGA after new nozzle.

319975.jpg

seems to me like you have a good set up there would be only nit pickin to try and find fault

depending on the weather on the day a fine day I always prefer to have the co2 at about 11.3 I think its gives a bit of leeway for the muggy weather from oct on but that's just me you might loose a little in efficiency but its usually hardly noticeable

what were the fluways up through the boiler like they can be a bitch to clean what I use is a wirebrush for cleaning the barrels in a shotgun can be bought in any gunshop and 1 of the best investments I made a few years ago great for the job

It was all quite clean. They can be a little difficult, but correct brushes make it easier.
    I got this set of brushes in Manchester a while back. Couldn't find anything suitable here. Didn't think of the shotgun one.

319997.jpg

It was all quite clean. They can be a little difficult, but correct brushes make it easier.
    I got this set of brushes in Manchester a while back. Couldn't find anything suitable here. Didn't think of the shotgun one.

319997.jpg

jaysus if I had them I wouldn't go to bed at all id stay up all night minding them

jaysus if I had them I wouldn't go to bed at all id stay up all night minding them

I must put them under my pillow so. :D :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I must put them under my pillow so. :D :pac::pac::pac::pac:

youd better that scudo might be down your way if he had them there would be stopping him

• Advertisement

319997.jpg

That's exactly what I need. What the name on them? Maybe I could find them online

That's exactly what I need. What the name on them? Maybe I could find them online

I sourced them on Ebay by doing a search for Flue Brushes (that is where I got that pic from). They were charging an arm and a leg for postage, so I had them posted to a cousin in Manchester (for free). And then collected them there when visiting. I could have had them posted from my cousin for a few quid, but I was going there at the time anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I got a set the same in Heatmerchants a few years ago

Just found my purchase details. Here is a screen grab with personal info redacted. Maybe it will be of some help. They were fine to deal with. Delivery a little slow, but they have delivery times on web.

320033.jpg

Just found my purchase details. Here is a screen grab with personal info redacted. Maybe it will be of some help. They were fine to deal with. Delivery a little slow, but they have delivery times on web.

320033.jpg

for feck sake thats no good we cant see your cc details :D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Robbie.G wrote: »
    I got a set the same in Heatmerchants a few years ago

Same here, the only difference being the very smallest brush, (unless it was in the pack and I've lost it since).
    I saw them in H.M. Rialto last week, I think they're around 20- 25 euro for the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Probably lack of bypass. Most older installs around here didn't have a bypass plumbed in. I come across lots of oil boilers with red sand-like deposits.
    Export wrote: »
    From what I remember..........
    Exposed Iron + water + air = Rust

Googled:

4 Fe(s) + 6 H2O(l) + 3 O2(g) 4 Fe(OH)3(s)
    Export wrote: »
    That said, you wouldn't know what caused it. Vandals probably.

A lot of different ways you can get a build-up of rust in a boiler.
    I was asking about specific circumstance

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Same here, the only difference being the very smallest brush, (unless it was in the pack and I've lost it since).
    I saw them in H.M. Rialto last week, I think they're around 20- 25 euro for the set.

That's a good price. At the time I tried HM, DPL, Chadwicks, Woddies and lots more without success. Perhaps lots asking for them encouraged them to carry them. They come in handy.

for feck sake thats no good we cant see your cc details :D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Very soon I will be able to post it here without fear of someone trying to use it. :(. :)))

• Advertisement

320033.jpg

What size diameter is the biggest brush head?

Advertisement