Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Have to say I love those 406 coupes and I'd love to pick up a cheap one and run it for a year. I'd be a bit wary that he didn't post a pic of the actual car but the description seems honest and for that money it would be hard to feel cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

406 is marked as sold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It is now, it wasn't when I made the post. Couldn't hang around at that price, even for scrap value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Fiat Punto for next to nothing with a years test ....

.... in Laois which is in Leinster .... just beside Kildare ...... or Tipperary depending where bouts you're coming at it from. Serviced by both the M7 & M8 Motorways. That okay Owen ;):D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2668399

View2-8515232.jpeg

Put in place name, read the bleadin ad will ya ;-)

Cross posted that 406 on my FB, turns out a friend knew the owner - motorway miles apparently and it was in great nick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

maidhc wrote: »
    Cannot go wrong here.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3178148
    Full-10792927.jpeg

If I was buying it I would spend a bit on it to sort the bodywork though. The TDI was so far ahead of everything in 1992, and you can tell people about Procon Ten!

I get a feeling the seller is decent.

Its gone...:mad:

You are right the seller was decent I just had a chat with him and he was a very nice fella. Great find though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Its gone...:mad:

You are right the seller was decent I just had a chat with him and he was a very nice fella. Great find though..

Ah well. I was tempted to buy it over the phone when I saw it, but I need €350+x more than another car!

Price of this new (assuming it was a TDI, which I think all the facelifts were) was £25,000 IEP. You could build a three bed bungalow for the same money in the same year. My grandfather bought one of the first of the TDIs, I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭pcardin

Top Dog wrote: »
    Full-10773672.jpeg

No mention of test, but seems like a reasonably honest description. €950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3124275

this XJ is X300 model but front and back bumper is from next generation - X308 (1998-2002). Question is, why were they changed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Fiat Punto for next to nothing with a years test ....

There's actually less than 9 months test left and the last NCT test was done nearly 17 months ago. Unless a phone call would be very reassuring, I wouldn't even bother go see it. Plenty of other fish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

unkel wrote: »
    There's actually less than 9 months test left and the last NCT test was done nearly 17 months ago. Unless a phone call would be very reassuring, I wouldn't even bother go see it. Plenty of other fish...

Picked up a mk2 Punto (this one) with NCT until 05/13, tax is up this month for 350 beans/lids/bottle caps. Within the first week of owning it it threw a rod and tore a hole in the sump, limped home on 3 cylinders and haemorrhaging oil. €100 on a new engine later, and it's like a brand new car. The interior is so fresh it feels like it's done 8,000 miles, not 80,000. Being the ELX, it has almost every optional extra bar the factory subwoofer. Taking it handy I've seen 55+ mpg, usually more around 45-47. No idea about the condition of the cam belt, but these are non-interference engines so I can keep going until it snaps and just fit a new one. For €450, that's what I call bangernomics ;)

Really makes the mk1's seem overpriced, considering the spec that comes with the mk2 and the far more modern body. There's no shortage of mk2's with long tests (> 1 year), I found 3 within my €400 budget when I bought that one, all within tyre kicking distance. It's pot luck whether you get one that's been abused or not, but with the availability of second hand parts (I mean, I got a replacement engine for €100 and fitted it myself over a weekend!) they're an ideal bangernomics candidate for those who can't afford to run LS400s :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Punto's seriously ... what you save today you pay back double tomorrow, probably in the form of a new clutch. Between them and the 500 euro focus i wouldn't touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€100 on a new engine later, and it's like a brand new car.

A new engine for €100? LOL, that's good going. You obviously fitted it yourself? Fair play :)
    Punto's seriously ... what you save today you pay back double tomorrow, probably in the form of a new clutch.

What a load of bollox. Needing a new clutch means you don't know how to drive a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

What a load of bollox. Needing a new clutch means you don't know how to drive a car.

them punto are known for having dodgy clutch's (suspension, brakes, door seals...). Bearing in mind too that alot of people don't know how to drive a car. Engines probably the best part and he had to replace that. Anyway just saying that given the chance I definitely wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Punto's seriously ... what you save today you pay back double tomorrow, probably in the form of a new clutch.

I now have 3 clutches to fit this car, so I think I'll be OK for a while. Not that the clutch is a particularly common fault in these. If you want to be clever, it's well known that the head gasket is the main weak point.

Or are you one of those people who takes stories down the pub as gospel? "My mate's brother's dog's cousin had a clutch fail in a Punto after pulling a cattle box for 80,000 miles" = all Puntos have weak clutches.
    A new engine for €100? LOL, that's good going. You obviously fitted it yourself? Fair play :)

Cheers unkel, I did it over a weekend with an engine crane and a lot of swearing. They're a ridiculously simple engine to work on anyway, I'd swear the A series engine off my (now relegated to weekend use) classic is more complicated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Less talk, more bangers!

Some of us are trying to buy cars!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

525 TeDiouS manual. 98
    €1500
    Wexford
    Nct 02/13
    Resprayed front left anyway

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3181978?cid=3181978&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

colm_mcm wrote: »
    And it's not silver - bonus! Nice bangernomics cars but insipid in silver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3171912

squeeze another 50 quid off, could be good. mileage dependent.

Volvo V70 taxed until the end of April, NCT's just out, 7 seater, 400 Euro! Carrigaline in Cork.

http://cork.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-PRICE-DROP-Volvo-V70-2L-petrol-W0QQAdIdZ367500935

21556d_19.jpeg

• Advertisement

Stilo 1.6 3 door

No nct or tax, but worth a look at €650 (Ashbourne)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3185076

Owen wrote: »
    ........ 7 seater..............

I wouldn't be certain it is :)
    There's very little about in that price range in Cork at the mo, was amazed during the week when I was looking at how little selection there is in Cork for peanuts.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Stilo 1.6 3 door

No nct or tax, but worth a look at €650 (Ashbourne)

location supplied :)
    Actual add..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

"Was replaced with a 7 seater"

And the beer's kicking in. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2888428

Advert doesn't give a lot of detail as to what work/servicing has been done to the car but anto sure has a funny bone in him somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Change from a grand, less the repair and you've got a potential modern classic

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3137069

View2-10594443.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't get that Volvo ad either. That's a 1st gen V70, which is a carryover from the 850, which had a pair of seats folded down into the boot. It's not an MPV, but it's almost certainly a 7 seater. I wonder does the owner know they're there.... :)

They're a great car, the price is bizarre: can't believe they've had to price drop it to that. The mileage is a bit high for a 2l, but still, who cares; drive it till it dies and then break it. Nearly buy that meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Focus Saloon, NCT 1/13, TAX 8/12 for €1450:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3186193
    Full-10832373.jpeg

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »

They're a great car, the price is bizarre: can't believe they've had to price drop it to that. The mileage is a bit high for a 2l, but still, who cares; drive it till it dies and then break it. Nearly buy that meself.

No NCT so many folks won't consider it :) Rightly or wrongly, of course it is very much dependent on the actual condition of the car. The price of the test and a small job or two could require €300/€400 investment which makes it look less attractive very quickly. Might fly through as is too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement