Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free State roof tiles

Options
  • 11-08-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

there's a thread title you don't see every day!
    My brother was working on a house renovation in Cabra (north Dublin) where they had to replace some of the roof. These are the original tiles:
    [IMG][/img]DSC_0018_zps91d492f2.jpg
    DSC_0020_zpsdf0ddf16.jpg

I have googled "Defiance roof tiles" and the only link is somebody selling a yard full of them! Would anybody know where the tiles were made and point to any relevant history related to this. Coincidentally I recently found a brown glass bottle with the Saorstat Eireann logo so obviously there were some attempts to increase industrial activity during this era. Any info gratefully received.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The forerunner of the Guaranteed Irish label. Also they had a logo on some products that looked like a Gaelic font 'E' with 'Deanta In Eireann' on it.

D%C3%A9anta_i_nEireann.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Also the old SÉ postboxes

PostBox-SaorstatEireann-Wide.jpg

Excellent! Any more SE branded products out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

8756191825_80e6b83ccc_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

;)wernt some of our coins from the 20s and maybe 30s free state also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Several potential directions for this thread. E.g the use of
    - Saorstat Eireann as a simple ‘emblem’ e.g. on letterboxes/coinage/etc.,
    - Saorstat Eireann as a mark of ‘defiance’ under the Economic War with Britain (like the rooftiles, an early Deanta i n- Eirinn / ‘Buy Irish’ campaign.) Protectionism, quotas/Irish content, labour quotas, etc.
    - Saorstat Eireann – role in its early days in developing an indigenous industry* particularly under Lemass, who was elected and became Minister for Industry & Commerce in 1932.
    *In no particular order - ESB, Irish Sugar, Irish Shipping, Insurance Corporation of Ireland, Agricultural and Industrial Credit Corporations, even up to the nationalization of B&I Line in mid 1960’s)

Good stuff Pedro, I'll follow up on those pointers. Already seeing ads online for SE memorabilia!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

J01015X4.JPG

It's a pity that Percy Metcalfe original design for the Bull wasn't carried through on the Shilling. Alot more "dynamic" piece:

metcalfe1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Ca bfhuil an dreoilin, an bradan agus an giorria?

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    J01015X4.JPG

It's a pity that Percy Metcalfe original design for the Bull wasn't carried through on the Shilling. Alot more "dynamic" piece:

metcalfe1.jpg

Indeed! I always thought it said something about "us" as a nation that we chose a much tamer version of the bull. Although that might be just idle speculation on my part.

Advertisement