Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Probably should have used spoiler tags. Revealing that there is a rape scene lessens the impact of it and will always be in the back of the viewers mind that it's coming up.

I agree. LIPSTICK was always the lesser for it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

campo wrote: »
    I know it has been mentioned a load of times an people are probably sick of it coming up but I have to mention Dear Zachary I watched it over the weekend and the story has stayed with me since , I was actually in shock and awe after watching this, and of course in floods of tears

It was tough to watch but so happy I did

Not up on Netflix today for some reason.

We just signed up for the trial though - is there a limited selection at this point?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Primer: Yeah I am going to have to give it another watch I think.

Most definitely agree. Don't watch it tired though and avoid if you have a small attention span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Only noticed you can finally cue up stuff to watch on the xbox by pressing x.(prob there since launch but I'm half blind)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dvd/netflix/

found this on rotten tomatoes. very handy to find something new. US netflix only

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dvd/netflix/

found this on rotten tomatoes. very handy to find something new. US netflix only

I think that might have titles that aren't available to stream as its for the DVD queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

it says on the top of the page. Films to watch instantly and you can press play right on the page beside the movie you want to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

it says on the top of the page. Films to watch instantly and you can press play right on the page beside the movie you want to watch

Its good but some of the stuff isn't on Netflix, maybe some of the titles mentioned expired, I seen "A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese" mentioned on it but its not on Netflix. Though "Days of Heaven" is on it which I didn't know was on Netflix and I just watched it, fantastic film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Way, the one with Martin Sheen has been added, might give it a look tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Way, the one with Martin Sheen has been added, might give it a look tonight!

Such a good movie! Gutted I missed Stella Days in the cinema :( But cant understand why it only got a Dublin release.

• Advertisement

The Mist has been added now too, heard a lot of good things about it on here.

Some good additions recently, Ghostbusters, Serpico, Rivers Edge and Dial M for Murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Can't find The Way or The Mist on the U.S one?

Can't find The Way or The Mist on the U.S one?

They're probably only on the Irish one, quite a few things are on it that aren't on the US one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cromac

Is there a secret way to browse through the cataloge of netflix?
    Every time I go on it and search television show's for example it will give my a load of television shows but not all of them.

example scrubs is in the catalog but is not listed under television shows!

Any searching tips would be great!

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some lesser known films on there that more people really should watch:

Poetry / Secret Sunshine - two extraordinary dramas from Chang-dong Lee. Both featuring very strong female protagonists in very unfortunate circumstances.

Cold Weather - delightfully eccentric 'detective' film from Aaron Katz. Simply delivered, but very funny and warm-hearted.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days - nostalgic anime from Makoto Shinkai. Don't know if dubbed or subbed though.

Days of Heaven - OK, this one is quite well known, but it's stunning stuff and has just been added.

Show Me Love / Together - Lukas Moodysson's brilliantly charming yet thoughtful first films.

I Saw the Devil - if you haven't seen this yet, why the hell not? The best thriller of last year.

Mysteries of Lisbon - have four and a half hours to kill? Raul Ruiz's melodramatic epic is just the ticket!

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - surreal and beautiful stuff.

Cold Fish - bloody good and manic film from bloody good and manic director Sion Sono.

Poetry / Secret Sunshine - two extraordinary dramas from Chang-dong Lee. Both featuring very strong female protagonists in very unfortunate circumstances.

Cold Weather - delightfully eccentric 'detective' film from Aaron Katz. Simply delivered, but very funny and warm-hearted.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days - nostalgic anime from Makoto Shinkai. Don't know if dubbed or subbed though.

Days of Heaven - OK, this one is quite well known, but it's stunning stuff and has just been added.

Show Me Love / Together - Lukas Moodysson's brilliantly charming yet thoughtful first films.

I Saw the Devil - if you haven't seen this yet, why the hell not? The best thriller of last year.

Mysteries of Lisbon - have four and a half hours to kill? Raul Ruiz's melodramatic epic is just the ticket!

Cold Fish - bloody good and manic film from bloody good and manic director Sion Sono.

Show Me Love is a charming film. I Saw the Devil is fantastic. A friend of mine has been on to me to watch Cold fish for a while now, didn't know it was on there, cheers.

cromac wrote: »
    Every time I go on it and search television show's for example it will give my a load of television shows but not all of them.

Thanks.

I typed scrubs into search and it was the first thing that came up. only has the first 3 seasons though.

Edit: Just to point out that that was the website I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

cromac wrote: »

Thanks.

the search funtion really is bad and it differs to from format to format. Wii an IPad offer genre searches, PS3 will allow you to search by actor / director name but none of them will give you a complete list. I think the best way to go is via the website.

Best way is to search via instantwatcher on your computer first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Just want to give you guys a heads-up on a site I've been using for a while for discovering what's new on netflix - www.ifttt.com You can set it up to email you when new content is added to the site. Very handy & helps keep on track of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

can anyone tell me if x files will ever be on netflix????????

lauraww wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if x files will ever be on netflix????????

The whole series is on the US version.

The Mist has been added now too, heard a lot of good things about it on here.

Just watched this tonight. Solid horror movie and has a lot more depth than I was expecting. It might be a little heavy handed in the social commentary side of things but i liked that they went that route with it regardless. Social commentary aside its a damn good horror film, tense and claustrophobic through out and it doesn't pull any punches either. I'm still not sure what to make of the ending but its sure as hell not one I'll forget in a hurry. Highly recommend giving this a look!

Apparently there's a cut in B&W too, the one on Netflix is the colour one. Is the only difference the colour or is there additional scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

The whole series is on the US version.

hi,i knew that already,but i have netflix through my wii and cant get the US version or can i?

id rather they just put it on the irish netflix

lauraww wrote: »
    hi,i knew that already,but i have netflix through my wii and cant get the US version or can i?

id rather they just put it on the irish netflix

We can't discuss that here anymore. In relation to them putting it on Irish version its a licencing issue, economically the studio who own the rights to X files are making more money from tv and dvd rights in Europe, so they would charge too much for Netflix to licence it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Some shows have had new episodes added. 24 is now available in its entirety, including the TV movie set in Africa.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Apparently there's a cut in B&W too, the one on Netflix is the colour one. Is the only difference the colour or is there additional scenes?

It's "just" the colour - though as Darabont had originally planned for the film to be in B&W a lot of the frame compositions work much better in B&W, and the effects look much better. Narratively it's the same film, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Found I Saw the Devil to be awful. Will never get back those 2 hours of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Twin Peaks has been added. One of the greatest tv shows ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement