Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Focus 1.6L- what to look for/avoid

• 26-07-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a used Focus (1.6L diesel, probably 2006)- just wondering if anyone has tips on what to watch out for with this particular model?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i drive one at work (2007)... and i'm overall unimpressed by the focus.

i would not like to buy one.. just a horrible horrible car

but thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Turbos can give trouble on these if they are not service right or on time. The intercooler pipe can split on these but its cheap enough fix. As far as diesels go they are pretty reliable, no injector or dualmass flywheel problems with these.
    Make sure she has a full service history. watch out for blue or black smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

power steering pump is a common issue in the 05 new shape, not sure about the 06

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Different setup on the 1.6 diesel as its an electric pump, no trouble at all there. On the petrols its the pipe that gives trouble not the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DPFs give trouble on the 110bhp versions especially if the car was used for short runs. Around €1k to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Thanks for the tips.
    Pa990 what do you hate so much? I've read they can be noisy for motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're a super car OP, only negative thing is the diesels are not as reliable as the petrols, but stuff like the turbos going is down to sheer ignorance by the general populance when it comes to servicing and maintenance.

If you're using it mainly to drive around town then the petrol is a better bet. The petrols are basically bulletproof, though they can run rough because of water getting into the frost plugs (a replacement part is something like €2, so hardly the end of the world if anything happens!) and the coil packs can go in them as well.

Avoid LXs as they are basic, although there were a few "connection" models which had Bluetooth, keyless go and a few other nice things (although no a/c). A Zetec is probably the best model, because they have air conditioning, alloys, fogs and a trip computer, although the Ghias have niceties like rain sensing wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror, but it does have awful fake wood!

Advertisement