Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brussels Zaventem - Potential for Historical Wanders?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this morning that Ryanair have announced direct flights to Brussels Zaventem. If the flights become quite cheap, it opens up lots of possibilities for a look around Somme areas such as Ypres, Guillemont, Beaumont-Hamel within 2 hours ish and 90 mins from Foy, Bastogne etc for the Band of Brothers fans.

Im thinking of hiring a car there and I'm curious to know if the experts here had 3 days based in and out of Brussels Zaventem, what historical nuggets would you recommend I see apart from the ones I listed above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Why have you waited for FR when EI have been flying there for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

roundymac wrote: »
    Why have you waited for FR when EI have been flying there for years?

I've only recently been involved in tracing my Great Grandfather's war history. Im also hoping that Ryanair will have cheaper flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Zaventem has the edge on Charleroi for timing, the latter is smaller easier to manage but both are within two hours of Ypres. Road from Bx is better but often more congested. I would expect that Ryanair will have cheaper flights but the gentlemen from Kildare Street are not price sensitive so I would not expect a price war. The PR opportunities for Ryanair will be huge, looking forward to the eventual spat, but that is not for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Is it feasible to visit those places I mentioned in a 3 day trip or would I be a bit over optimistic?

Advertisement