Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bundoran Hotel Fire August 1980

Options
  • 01-08-2004 6:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi - not sure if this is the right forum - I am trying to find out more information about the hotel fire in Bundoran in August 1980. My best friend and her family died in this tragedy, but as I was very young I was not allowed to go to her funeral and was shielded as much as possible. I would be grateful for any information on this. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glenellen

CathyMoran wrote:
    Hi - not sure if this is the right forum - I am trying to find out more information about the hotel fire in Bundoran in August 1980. My best friend and her family died in this tragedy, but as I was very young I was not allowed to go to her funeral and was shielded as much as possible. I would be grateful for any information on this. Many thanks.

Hi Cathy.
    Just stumbled across your message this evening, kinda strange actually reading about the hotel fire after such a long time. I lost a family member in that fire. if I can be of any assistance to you please let me know.
    Cheers.
    ndowdican@yahoo.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

This Friday will be 34 years since the terrible fire - rest in peace to all those who died in this fire - Deirdre you will never be forgotten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Central Hotel Bundoran. I think ten died and others injured Because it is a holiday resort the victims were from all over the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Sad event.

there were inquests which would have been reported in the press.

There was also a Malicious Injury Claim against Donegal Co COuncil. Cannot recall the result, but there would be a record in the Circuit COurt files for Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

http://www.bundoranfirebrigade.com/1980_Hotel_Fire.html
    Link to Bundoran Fire Brigade page on this tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 westlands

Hi, I a m not sure if this tread is still live, but, yes there was a Malicious Injury Claim against Donegal Co Council which was won and the judge ruled that the fire had been caused by a malicious act, two fires starting simultaneously at each end of the hotel. This was subsequently overturned in the High court when the Gardai introduced new evidence which they claimed, they found, by accident, on the site a number of years later. This was despite the fact that the site was derelict and unsecured for the intervening period. I was in the court that day and everyone, including the legal team for the county council, was amazed that such evidence was accepted by the judge. There is much more on this case including the fact that the Gardai used the hotel to spy on the IRA. and made it a target for Red Hand Commando who many years later claimed responsibility for bombing the hotel

Advertisement