Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

You could, you know, wake him up and ask him to move :pac:

:P I'm not a very confrontational person- awkward situation is awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

I'm not even a student there anymore but I do research from time to time and I still feel inclined to make a big rant:
    • The theatres. Why do the ones in science seem ok while the ones in Arts are at 1000 degrees? Ventilation seems to be a new concept to UCD.
    • The people who think that the computer sections in the library are somehow the place to go to have conversations. And browse facebook for 6 hours while there's a queue.
    • The 18 year olds who've discovered perfume and insist on bathing in it. And it's not even nice perfume. What the hell is that stuff anyway...
    • The librarians. I'm mystified as to what any of them above the ground floor actually do. Apart from slam doors and have a good pension. If you take the space taken up by their cavernous offices and the entire section on the fifth floor it's surprising there's any space left to study at all.
    • The level of noise. Does every single electronic device have to announce every single action to the world? The photocopiers are an absolute nightmare.
    • The decision to change the entire printing system 5 minutes before the start of term. By the way the printers in the Arts block have had an "Upgrading" sign on them since June which indicates the decision was made at that time but noone was arsed doing it until September.
    • It's a recession everywhere except in UCD. To be fair the SU shop is mostly cheap enough.
    • Rubbish on tables. I mean really. The same students talking about "the oppression of the masses by the class system man" are the same ones that expect someone else to clean up after them.
    • The entire campus seems to have been built before they discovered this "drainage" thing. Don't you love the tilting paving slabs that shoot muddy water up your leg?
    • Health sciences library. Oh yeah, a wooden floor in a massive echo chamber. That was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

You could, you know, wake him up and ask him to move :pac:

Or dip his hand in water? Or fart beside his head. Or sit on him. Ah... the possibilities. Yeah, confrontation is hard. Irish people don't do it too well unless they're scangers or been at UCD too long. Americans on the other hand. "HEY BUDDY! IS THIS SEAT TAKEN!"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

carveone wrote: »
    Or dip his hand in water? Or fart beside his head. Or sit on him. Ah... the possibilities. Yeah, confrontation is hard. Irish people don't do it too well unless they're scangers or been at UCD too long. Americans on the other hand. "HEY BUDDY! IS THIS SEAT TAKEN!"...

XD so true. I admire the yanks for that :P They've got balls, and whether it comes from tactlessness or confidence, kudos to them!

But in fairness, with the amount of secluded couches on campus, surely he could have a kip somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Costs over 9euro in Java (old Arts cafe) for bottle of water, soup and a sandwich. That is outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

carveone wrote: »
    The librarians. I'm mystified as to what any of them above the ground floor actually do. Apart from slam doors and have a good pension. If you take the space taken up by their cavernous offices and the entire section on the fifth floor it's surprising there's any space left to study at all

Students with attitudes like this annoy me. Just because you may be uninformed as to what university librarians (or library assistants as most behind the issue desk on the ground floor will be)actually do, does not really give your rants any credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well people did have the option to get a new one for free, in fairness it was advertised. A friend of mine was shocked at the lack of a queue when he picked up his.

When and where was it advertised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

For the records, 37 posts before:

<quote>
    "This Guy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

People who photocopy chapters and CHAPTERS AND CHAPTERS of books!!

Steam and PSN is blocked in campus. I know it's a university, but I have to live here too!

Food in the restaurant that's more texture than taste.

Library turnstiles that only work half the time and books not being where they should be.

That 'windows is starting' sound that comes on whenever someone turns on their laptop in the library.

Some lads were on facebook and having the craic in a full computer room in Daedalus with a queue of people waiting at the door. A woman walked over and gave out sh*t to them for 'f*cking around when there's people with work to do'.

They left very quickly and she got her computer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Nothing really annoys me, but some things are just stupid or inconvenient.
    In random order:
    • UCD computers: you cannot log off/shud down computer by pressing Alt + F4.
    • Printing: My print job disappeared after 1 hour. WTF? Also why don't .pdf appear in print queue after you select them for printing. Last time it took 10 min to appear.
    • Annoying people who trek to Conway who are not even in Conway. Stay in your building.
    • Is the construction site in front science hub going to be there for eternity?
    • Sports centre staff need to be intrduced to detergents, soap, and water to wash the floor. Guess what? Dusting it off does not make the floor any cleaner.
    • Food places - Fresca, etc. When?
    Another thing that made me laugh, was three girls who went to administration in Conway because they wanted to sit on a sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The communist architecture in UCD seems to give it more of a second world feel.

Window 7 doesn't seem to be too compatible with UCD Connect.

And where're Elements & Starbucks gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

The fact that you've to login to the suas pc's. Then into UCDconnect. Then into SISweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The communist architecture in UCD seems to give it more of a second world feel.

I think it was you who told me 2nd year labs are disgusting. THEY ARE.

Didn't they say the new student centre was gonna open this september? Still being built.....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

The fact that Blackboard opens in a new window and refuses to open in a new tab despite my browser's settings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hate when I send something to the printer on a SUAS computer, log out, walk over to the printer, log into that, and find that I have no print jobs! Have to go back to another computer or just throw in the towel.

Also the series of mini-sets of steps all over the campus!

Cyclists cycling through the packed pedestrian areas at inconsiderate speeds.

How a lot of the large lecture theatres still don't have the Wolfvision document cameras - much easier to use and look at than the acetate projectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Conor108 wrote: »
    I think it was you who told me 2nd year labs are disgusting. THEY ARE.

3rd year labs are great, so lackadaisy, or maybe that's just because I haven't done any work in them yet because I'm not arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ah I don't like the negativity in this thread. It's like a ranting & raving thread, if you're not with the poster then don't post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

People sneezing randomly in practicals/library: I really enjoy breathing in your airborne snot (!)

Little shards of glass where I'm cycling

Lecturers who are fundamentally bad at explaining things - and you know that if you ask for further explanation that they won't be able to understand why their description didn't suffice in the first place.

The urban myth about what college life is meant to be like (don't get me wrong - it's great, it just has very little little connection with the propaganda)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Lecturers who are fundamentally bad at explaining things - and you know that if you ask for further explanation that they won't be able to understand why their description didn't suffice in the first place.

As 'it's rough all over' counterpoints ;) :

Students who don't get it's not the lecturer/TA's job to teach the prereq material for a course.

Students who don't read their course materials/course notes or follow the step by step instructions we print off and give them.

Doing 50+ hours each term of compulsory unpaid TA hours as a Phd student.

Changes to required facilities that the staff/postgrads aren't told about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

UCD's new law school; that area has been cordoned off for a year and still no progress at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fad wrote: »
    When and where was it advertised?
    Every student received an email about the ucard. That email also directed them to this website:http://www.ucd.ie/ucard/ and http://www.ucd.ie/ucard/studentcard/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Forgot ...

The RDS exams place. It's like hell on earth, the chairs really freak me out. Like double, stress exams + afraid the chair may break right in the middle of the exam (how embarrassing would that be).
    Plus, it's always really cold there. I'm not even mentionning the weird smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

People who post rambling off topic discussions, and complaints about people complaining in a complaining thread so I have to tidy it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

how firefox is available in the start menu but you can't pin it to the desktop

windows 7, we should have an option to revert back to vista or XP.

how i can't set google as my homepage.

the lack of plugs in the library around exam time.

FB on suas computers

modules without blackboard or some form of online assistance.

computer science lecturers who still use transparency projectors

absolutely sh*t tables and chairs in the RDS, i would be seriously p*ssed if i had to take my final year exams on a wobbly table and flimsy chair in a room full of creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hate how crowded the place gets at the turn of the hour. You generally get people who for some reason congregate at the bottom or top of stairs. Why do people do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

-Having to walk through the disgusting cloud of second hand smoke outside the Newman building after a lecture. Mingin.

-The gimps who ram flyers in your face when your rushing for a lecture

-People clobbered head to toe in A&F and Hollister. What is up with that??

-People using FB on Suas computers

-The guy who wears a High-Vis jacket into lectures and constantly asks basic and pointless questions just to have his irritating voice heard. (This guy exists. He's in 4 of my 6 modules and waits behind every lecture to speak with the lecturer, probably asking stupid questions using ridiculously philosophical lingo in order to make himself sound intelligent. I have to bite my pen everytime he opens his mouth.)

-Cyclists doing 90 and nearly ending lives....

-That one RA who thinks he's running Auschwitz

-People who get to lecture theaters early, go to a completely empty row and sit right at the edge, so everyone has to climb over the fùcker.

-The evident lack of common sense in some people. (See above)

.....well that was somewhat therapeutic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

-That one RA who thinks he's running Auschwitz

By any chance would he be the RA from another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

By any chance would he be the RA from another country?

What does RA mean?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

jan shyr wrote: »
    With that attitude, I hope others will continue to annoy you. You seem to deserve it.
    I think the thread is intended as humour! Plus he's not wrong but all of his points!
    What does RA mean?
    Residential Assistant, 3rd or 4th year students who work on campus residence, letting students into houses if they forget keys, breaking up parties, working as out-of-hours office staff, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

People who CONSTANTLY moan about/praise the SU. Besides the UCD ball, i'm really not interested in it.

The new printing system. The last one worked well, why change it?

People who ask questions in lectures. This especially applies to a certain mature student who is quite possibly the most irratating and condescending person I've ever met. She ruined last years history lectures for me.

That being said, I still really like UCD!

Advertisement