Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Hanafin = Cronyism

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Nice to see that Fianna Fail cronyism is still alive and well.

Mary Hanafin's mother claimed €60k compensation for a fall in Leinster House. http://www.herald.ie/national-news/hanafins-mum-makes-compo-claim-after-she-falls-in-leinster-house-1624065.html

Hanafin then appointed her mother's solicitor in the case to the board of the National Museum: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2010/12/16/00229.asp

Is this type of behaviour ever likely to leave Irish politics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hannifan was also the FF party treasurer during Haughey's reign, she only gave up her teaching post earlier this year after years in Dail Eireann.

if ever there was a painful hypocrite in Dail Eireann its miss goody two shoes hannifan she wont be missed from Dail Eireann.

the state also spent 21k on flights for her mother to accompany her on official state trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Typical but sure I've always voted Fianna Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

bamboozle wrote: »
    the state also spent 21k on flights for her mother to accompany her on official state trips.

Hannifin is a true mommy's girl! But surely, she is entitled to a carer given her disability....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1qYsvDsWXCbZECALpY4680Phil209G4vDuQbHTn70ycOjxS1aLqtcJXc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hannifan was also the FF party treasurer during Haughey's reign, she only gave up her teaching post earlier this year after years in Dail Eireann.

if ever there was a painful hypocrite in Dail Eireann its miss goody two shoes hannifan she wont be missed from Dail Eireann.

her father was the party treasurer under Haughey, Senator Des, a man who always wore velvet lapelled coats, to my recollection:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

devilsad wrote: »
    Nice to see that Fianna Fail cronyism is still alive and well...

Hanafin then appointed her mother's solicitor in the case to the board of the National Museum: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2010/12/16/00229.asp

Didn't know that little snippet.
    Thanks you have just given me one more reason not to like the shrew.
    Ah but shure all the religious nutjobs might be out voting for her anyway. :rolleyes:

Ahh FFS that was her father the one and only des hanafin.
    ah des the religious nutjob who would have us all still cowtowing to the local priest.

mary is a chip off the old block from what I have heard.
    AFAIK she did not give up the teaching post, perhaps someone can correct me on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

OP, are you sure that the Paul Kelly & Co, Solrs is the same as the Paul Kelly that Minister Hanafin appointed to the board.
    It is cronyism if the Paul Kelly who was appointed to the Board of the National Museum Of Ireland has no abilities/skills in the regard of the Museum, whether he represented the mother of the minister or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

She made a complete idiot of herself on Vincent Browne last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

imme wrote: »
    her father was the party treasurer under Haughey, Senator Des, a man who always wore velvet lapelled coats, to my recollection:)

yes because his preferred choice of black military uniform was not fashionable anymore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

She's a classic example of the gombeenarchy in this little country of ours.
    The brudders a senator too...Senator John Hanafin who kept up the family tradition and made a stand against the civil partnership bill last year - an attack of conscience which didn't extend to the debt/death spiral his party has put the country on course for.
    He even resigned the whip for a few months but came scurrying back.

AFAIK, she finally gave up the actual teaching post either Jan 2010 or Jan this year after 14 years of whinging she needed it in case she lost her seat (like others) but the pension which would cost ~400k to fund if in the private sector, remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Just when you think they can't do anything worse they outdo themselves.

• Advertisement

The school where she insisted her job be kept open for 14 years should be relieved such a barefaced liar and apologist isn't coming back.
    She's not a great example to the students,now is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

She doesn't know what she's talking about! I think she has just done herself out of a seat in the dail!

imme wrote: »
    OP, are you sure that the Paul Kelly & Co, Solrs is the same as the Paul Kelly that Minister Hanafin appointed to the board.
    It is cronyism if the Paul Kelly who was appointed to the Board of the National Museum Of Ireland has no abilities/skills in the regard of the Museum, whether he represented the mother of the minister or not.

Well I know one guy (gerry horkan) appointed to Dental Council who is an accountant and ff councillor and one ex bertie advisor PR spinner (jackie gallagher) who was appointed to board of Trinity.

Now on the grand scheme of things what do either of these bring to these boards ?

Very true she was caught out with the payment to bond holders.
    She claimed it was because they guaranteed it, but the guarantee it appears had expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Paddypower have her at Evs to retain her seat.Surprised how low these odds are I was hoping she had no chance.

Votes needed for Bacik or Boyd-Barrett to keep her out. It would send a great message to Fianna Fail if they didn't manage to win a seat in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Just thought I'd chirp in.

Paul Kelly's actually going out with Hannifen at the moment, not sure how long this has been going on.
    (Source : Sister is friends with his daughter, he's been around the house a few times)

He was also recently apointed as a judge by the outgoing administration.

The whole thing stinks and is a prime example of the Fianna Fail circle jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Maybe Paul Kelly will replace the mommy on future official overseas trips....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

Varkov wrote: »

Paul Kelly's actually going out with Hannifen at the moment, not sure how long this has been going on.
    (Source : Sister is friends with his daughter, he's been around the house a few times)

Not just jobs for the boys so, but jobs for the boyfriends too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Dear Campaigner

The <insert party name here> thanks you for all you efforts in the election campaign. We feel in the last day of the campaign that it is very important that you go on Internet and post negative news about <insert party here>.

Thank You for your efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

talk about quangos,i have just got a phone call from our telecom provider, could not understand him, had to ask him three times to repeat himself, he was asking to speak to the person who pay the phone bill, said he was away for a week (lie) did not want to be answering questions to someone i could not understand, since this is an irish owned company, with irish paying the bills, why on earth can we not have a few irish on these jobs, because i have got many of these calls and always the same thing, cannot understand what is being said, so i always find the same or similar answer for them

Varkov wrote: »

I'll bet he didn't get to spend the night. ;)

It always surprises me how often the most self righteous yet can dismiss some of the worse behaviour from their own colleagues. How can hannafin stomach to back such shysters as o'fdea, ahern, biffo, etc ?
    It is like years ago marvelling how some people would have the gall to hand out communion on Sundays and behave like complete toerags the rest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

And now it seems that she will be signing in a rushed copyright law while no one is looking.

What a lady.

http://siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/20561-copyright-act-amendment/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

shes also a liar by the way. She claimed on the national airwaves before christmas that there no students under 18 in colleges in ireland and as a result all graduates attaining an hons degree would be at least 21 years of age, this has a significance regarding their claiming of unemployment benifit when they graduate.,, horrid little mouse like cretin, the like of which will no doubt still have a place in Irish politics for many years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Pauleta wrote: »
    Dear Campaigner

The <insert party name here> thanks you for all you efforts in the election campaign. We feel in the last day of the campaign that it is very important that you go on Internet and post negative news about <insert party here>.

Thank You for your efforts
    Dead right Pauletta. Mary Hanafin is clearly the type of person that we need in the Dail. She does great work. Vote FF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Look, I think you are all missing the point here.

Mary always attends the girls brigade prize giving events and never ever misses a church fete.

I think this is far more important than the odd €750m it the fact she just has been robbing the state blind for the past ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

goat2 wrote: »
    talk about quangos,i have just got a phone call from our telecom provider, could not understand him, had to ask him three times to repeat himself, he was asking to speak to the person who pay the phone bill, said he was away for a week (lie) did not want to be answering questions to someone i could not understand, since this is an irish owned company, with irish paying the bills, why on earth can we not have a few irish on these jobs, because i have got many of these calls and always the same thing, cannot understand what is being said, so i always find the same or similar answer for them

OT I know Does nobody appreciate the delicious irony of this post complaining how the poster couldn't understand a foreigner on the phone?

devilsad wrote: »
    Nice to see that Fianna Fail cronyism is still alive and well.

Mary Hanafin's mother claimed €60k compensation for a fall in Leinster House. http://www.herald.ie/national-news/hanafins-mum-makes-compo-claim-after-she-falls-in-leinster-house-1624065.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/newest-judge-escapes-10pc-wage-cut-on-timing-technicality-2454114.html

He was also appointed a DC judge by the FF/GP govt last year
    Read the report to see how he resigned from Leixlip town council in record speed to take up his new appointment without suffering the paycut brought in later that day and enacted later the same week.
    That little bit of an oversight by FF & GP cost a mere 14,700 quid to Ireland.

What a return!
    What a minister! What a gal!:rolleyes:

Advertisement