Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you prefer Fine Gael to Form a Government with Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Neither, but if push came to shove FF. At least some of FF's policies sort of make sense, they're just too corrupt and/or incompetent to implement them properly. SF's policies would destroy the country to a degree even FF can only dream of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Why are you spouting these nonsensical lies?

Labour was formed as the political wing of the Irish Trade Union Congress.

And where did James Connolly fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Manach wrote: »
    SF - in that they've actually more experience in Government(NI) than FG.

But NI is the UK, whereas at least FG have been in government in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Manach wrote: »
    SF - in that they've actually more experience in Government(NI) than FG.

You cannot equate the two.

Stormont is not a government it is a regional parliament, its like comparing the Welsh assembly to the Danish parliament. Ultimate reponsibilty lies with Westminister not Stormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Although I like Sinn Fein better than Fianna Fail I'd have to say I'd rather FG went with FF.

Fine Gael and Sinn Fein's policies are very different and pretty much offensive to each other. By that I mean Sinn Fein could not sell FG proposals to their supporters and vice versa.

Whilst FF/FG don't have exact same policies their policies are not offensive to each other's supporters. You could put all the FG policies through and there wouldn't be any significant problems from the FF supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wut? South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire and Fingal are 3 counties. Add them to the regular 26 and you get...?

3+26=?

If you get stuck ask a five year-old.

the regular 26 include dublin; if you count dublin as the three sub counties you don't count dublin again.
    In 1994, County Dublin was dissolved and the area divided into the modern administrative counties of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin. Today, these areas collectively make up the Dublin Region[2] (Réigiúin Átha Cliath) and come under the remit of the Dublin Regional Authority. While administration of the county has been split and the county dissolved from a political-administrative perspective, the county persists as an entity in other categories such as geography studies, postal and census services, Gaelic Athletic Association teams, and as an entity with which people continue to identify.

the five year old comment was a bit unnessiciary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bazman05

niallers1 wrote: »
    It is a possibility so don't rule it out...but

Given the choice, Would you prefer Fine Gael to go into government with Fianna Fail or Sinn Fein? :eek:

If the policies of Sinn Fein were to be believed (that's a big if), then it would have to be them.

We need to strike a balance in our next government and a Fianna Gael and Fianna Fail are 2 very right wing governments who will stop at nothing to protect our capitalist economy (Fianna Fail have already done this, big time) at the expense of the poorer people in society to protect the rich.

Sinn Fein's policies would have you believe that they are more of a left wing government so on paper would create a government that would be that little bit fairer overall.

So staunch Fianna Fail and Fianna Gael supporters have either got money to burn and don't care about the less fortunate or have no mind of their own and have had it beaten into them that there is no alternative, and then you could vote for Sinn Fein and maybe take a step in the right direction to a fairer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bazman05 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein's policies would have you believe that they are more of a left wing government so on paper would create a government that would be that little bit fairer overall.

What makes you think that SF are in any way fair. One of their first acts in govt. would be to insist that the Gda McCabe killers get set free. That's fair isn't it.

In economic terms they're hell bent on shoving two fingers up the noses of Europe and anyone else in the sole interests of creating the "new republic".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

bazman05 wrote: »
    We need to strike a balance in our next government and a Fianna Gael and Fianna Fail are 2 very right wing governments who will stop at nothing to protect our capitalist economy (Fianna Fail have already done this, big time) at the expense of the poorer people in society to protect the rich.

With protecting bondholders, tax breaks, rigid wage agreements, benchmarking, upward only rent reviews, etc. we do not have a capitalist economy. A lot of what FF did over the last 14 years has been left oriented, we now need a centre-right government to curtail our crazy level of public spending and to keep taxes as low as possible to get our economy to recover.

What makes you think that SF are in any way fair. One of their first acts in govt. would be to insist that the Gda McCabe killers get set free. That's fair isn't it.

In economic terms they're hell bent on shoving two fingers up the noses of Europe and anyone else in the sole interests of creating the "new republic".

Freeing Gda McCabe has nothing to do with the economy, so even though it would be disgusting to do this, it doesn't concern me.

And taking Fianna Fail into consideration, Sinn Fein would be the lesser of two evils. I do like being part of Europe but if we got a fairer system out of them screwing the EU, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    With protecting bondholders, tax breaks, rigid wage agreements, benchmarking, upward only rent reviews, etc. we do not have a capitalist economy. A lot of what FF did over the last 14 years has been left oriented, we now need a centre-right government to curtail our crazy level of public spending and to keep taxes as low as possible to get our economy to recover.

I wouldn't see protecting bondholders, tax breaks or upward only rent reviews as left wing!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

K-9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't see protecting bondholders, tax breaks or upward only rent reviews as left wing!

Maybe it wasnt clear from my post but I wasnt referring to those as left wing, I was highlighting those as anti-capitalist.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

You've got a point there. Maybe Fianna Fail created more of a dictatorship soon as the banks started to fail and screwed the poor to look after the rich.

And what we should all aim for is a more balanced system, but what baffles me is that the risk of Fianna Fail getting some sort of power is still there and Fianna Gael getting an overall majority would not be much different from what we had.

That Irish trait that we should constantly give these politicians second chances and keep everything the same is still prevalent today, and I'm actually worried about the result on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tigger wrote: »
    the five year old comment was a bit unnessiciary

That's true. I apologise for that. It was very childish.
    Tigger wrote: »
    the regular 26 include dublin; if you count dublin as the three sub counties you don't count dublin again.

The old county Dublin is now divided up into 4 "counties":
    The statutory instrument giving effect to the Act came into force on 1 January 1994[4] The instrument also provided for the abolition of Dublin County Council - the entity that previously had responsibility for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin. The four entities collectively comprise the former entity known as County Dublin. This feudal entity, which had been created during the Norman invasion of Ireland, was abolished under the Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

preferably neither, but if pushed i'd say sf. They would make FG take a tougher line on the banking problem and negate the west brit stick that ff will probably revert to throwing at FG when they are in opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I'd suggest reading up on The Workers Party and after that Democratic Left.
    History of ITGWU.

Read up yourself. Just because many union members took part in the 1916 uprising as Irish Citizen Army members, it doesn't follow that "ITGWU - Irish Citizen's Army".

Further, Adams' past is being questioned because people may be concerned that he personally may have been involved in criminality.

Gilmore has no such questions about his past (unless these questions are just to deflect attention).

I will answer both of you with the one comment if that is ok? :)

The reason I gave those examples of particular parties (and union) and their links with armed groups is to show their connections. Not every member of FG was a fascist, nor was every member of the ITGWU involved with the ICA. My point was to state that just because a few, and a mean very few SF members have links with the IRA does not mean the party is solely made up of IRA members.

Doherty was only a baby during the troubles. O' Caolin has no links to any violence whatsoever. Yes McGuinness has done time for being a member of the IRA, and Ferris has done time for gun running, but to assume every member of the party is member of the IRA is madness. And as for Adams, talk about guilty until proven innocent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

That's true. I apologise for that. It was very childish.

The old county Dublin is now divided up into 4 "counties":

no its three counties and a city council but the point is so trivial i dont see any reason in

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Apart from being hypothetical, the question is irrelevent as neither is remotely possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

whatever any one says about labour, it is them that we can thank for this election, not fine gael, eamon gilmore was the only one who spoke up and got us to where we are now, at least we now have a choice thanks to him

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I will answer both of you with the one comment if that is ok? :)

The reason I gave those examples of particular parties (and union) and their links with armed groups is to show their connections. Not every member of FG was a fascist, nor was every member of the ITGWU involved with the ICA. My point was to state that just because a few, and a mean very few SF members have links with the IRA does not mean the party is solely made up of IRA members.

Doherty was only a baby during the troubles. O' Caolin has no links to any violence whatsoever. Yes McGuinness has done time for being a member of the IRA, and Ferris has done time for gun running, but to assume every member of the party is member of the IRA is madness. And as for Adams, talk about guilty until proven innocent!

Well a majority SF voters don't trust him on it either:

FG most trusted on economy, poll finds - Opinion Polls, Elections - Independent.ie
    Gerry Adams
    73pc do not believe his claim that he was not a member of the IRA.
    The Sinn Fein president bizarrely states he was never a member of the IRA, despite being a leader of the Republican movement for the best part of three decades.
    But the public doesn't buy it and 73pc -- or almost three out of four people --believe he was an IRA member, with this view most prevalent among those over 50, higher social classes, farmers, people in Munster and Fianna Fail supporters.
    Mr Adams's claim is believed by 13pc of people and is highest among adults under 24, people in Connacht-Ulster and Sinn Fein supporters. Only 35pc of Sinn Fein supporters believe he was not a member of the IRA.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well a majority SF voters don't trust him on it either:

FG most trusted on economy, poll finds - Opinion Polls, Elections - Independent.ie

K-9. I am a great supporter of SF, and I really don't know what to make of it all, my gut tells me he was, but my head is saying where is the evidence. And as we are told "innocent until proven guilty" but my gut feeling is he had something to do with all that stuff!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    K-9. I am a great supporter of SF, and I really don't know what to make of it all, my gut tells me he was, but my head is saying where is the evidence. And as we are told "innocent until proven guilty" but my gut feeling is he had something to do with all that stuff!

Well he was specifically released from prison to partake in IRA ceasefire negotiations in 1973.

I don't know for sure either but all parties get labels thrown at them or members of them.

He is an advocate of a Truth & Reconciliation commission and his own supporters don't believe him on this!

Advertisement