Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gerry Adams, Leader of Opposition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Guess we will all be condemning the 1916 rebels, Collins etc so?

If you like, but none of them are canvassing for the 2011 vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Adrian009 wrote: »
    If you like, but none of them are canvassing for the 2011 vote.
    FF call themselves "The Republican party" FG harp on about Collins etc

Its probably just the final stage on the long road to a UNITED IRELAND,

it was going to happen some day.

But what's the point of a united Ireland?

Especially when a united country called Ireland already exists?

Over one hundred years of northern unionism has shown that about a million people in Northern Ireland do not want to join the Irish state. Fair enough, say we. We're in no hurry to shove them in.

FF call themselves "The Republican party" FG harp on about Collins etc

I'm not voting for FF, and FG can go on all they want about the Big Fella, but I want to hear their big plans for fixing the economy.

I'm not voting for FF, and FG can go on all they want about the Big Fella, but I want to hear their big plans for fixing the economy.
    So you have a nice case of double standards then

• Advertisement

So you have a nice case of double standards then

Really? Where?

Really? Where?
    You dont care how much FG go on about Collins yet have a different standard for SF(who havent even mentioned the IRA as far as I can see)

You dont care how much FG go on about Collins yet have a different standard for SF(who havent even mentioned the IRA as far as I can see)

What I mean is what I want to hear from FG and every candidate is a good plan for the economy.
    If Enda had been a member of an outlawed terrorist organisation or supported it I'd think very carefully about giving him a vote.
    But he did neither.
    Gerry Adams has consistently supported the IRA, and is believed by most Irish people to have been on the IRA army council. Even if he was not, the fact that he supported an organisation who murdered thousands of Irish people gives me pause about supporting any SF candidate while he is party leader.
    I mean, how sick would it be to place a man who supported the mass-murder of Irish people as a REPRESENTATIVE of the Irish people???

What I mean is what I want to hear from FG and every candidate is a good plan for the economy.
    If Enda had been a member of an outlawed terrorist organisation or supported it I'd think very carefully about giving him a vote.
    But he did neither.
    Gerry Adams has consistently supported the IRA, and is believed by most Irish people to have been on the IRA army council. Even if he was not, the fact that he supported an organisation who murdered thousands of Irish people gives me pause about supporting any SF candidate while he is party leader.
    I mean, how sick would it be to place a man who supported the mass-murder of Irish people as a REPRESENTATIVE of the Irish people???
    Fine, dont vote SF then. I will, and have no problems doing so.

Fine, dont vote SF then. I will, and have no problems doing so.

Despite the fact that they supported the murder of thousands of our fellow Irish people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

But what's the point of a united Ireland?

Especially when a united country called Ireland already exists?

Over one hundred years of northern unionism has shown that about a million people in Northern Ireland do not want to join the Irish state. Fair enough, say we. We're in no hurry to shove them in.

the island is called Ireland split into two populated areas trying to come together to create a united Ireland.

the island is called Ireland split into two populated areas trying to come together to create a united Ireland.

But WHY?

Despite the fact that they supported the murder of thousands of our fellow Irish people?
    Thats a disingenuous way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

I'm sorry Adrian, but you have nothing but double standards...
    I know he's Irish, but he's from Northern Ireland, not Ireland. Surely he should at least live here if he's gonna be elected? And seeing as he lives in West Belfast (UK) then why the hell does he have an Irish passport? Since when?
    He has an Irish passport like anyone else from the 6 counties who wants one. That has been the case since the Belfast Agreement in 1998
    But he's not even an Irish NATIONAL! He's an Irishman from the UK! Sure as hell its an issue!
    Whats your opinion on the president being from the north? Everyone on this island is entitled to be an Irish citizen.
    Sure, but nobody on this island is entitled to support or condone murder.
    FG can go on all they want about the Big Fella, but I want to hear their big plans for fixing the economy.

So you have no issue with the President (from Belfast) being considered an Irish citizen but you do have a problem with Gerry (from Belfast) being considered Irish
    You don't have a problem with the President being President of Ireland despite the fact that she's born in Belfast, but you do have a problem with Gerry being a TD because he's born in Belfast
    You do have a problem with SF not outright condemning violence in every situation, but you don't have a problem with FG not outright condemning violence in every scenario.

Thats a disingenuous way to look at it.

Why, because calling it murder inconvinences Sinn Fein?

But WHY?

why is it split or why is it going to be a united Ireland or why is the island called Ireland

it was a loaded question.

Why, because calling it murder inconvinences Sinn Fein?
    Because you are firing away with those figures and claims and making no mention of the context in which they occurred.

stuckin wrote: »
    I'm sorry Adrian, but you have nothing but double standards...

He has an Irish passport like anyone else from the 6 counties who wants one. That has been the case since the Belfast Agreement in 1998

So you have no issue with the President (from Belfast) being considered an Irish citizen but you do have a problem with Gerry (from Belfast) being considered Irish
    You don't have a problem with the President being President of Ireland despite the fact that she's born in Belfast, but you do have a problem with Gerry being a TD because he's born in Belfast
    You do have a problem with SF not outright condemning violence in every situation, but you don't have a problem with FG not outright condemning violence in every scenario.

Okay, didn't know he had an Irish passport. To the best of my knowledge he had a British one.

No, I never had a probelm with Mary been President. As far as I know, despite been from the north, she was never a member of the IRA or supported them via Sinn Fein, for instance.

Gerry on the other hand at the very least endorsed the IRA and continues to do so today. I cannot see why I should vote for a man who excuses the murder of so many Irish people.

why is it split or why is it going to be a united Ireland or why is the island called Ireland

it was a loaded question.

No, its quite simple. What is the point of a united Ireland?

No, its quite simple. What is the point of a united Ireland?

Ah OK that's the bit you want answered, at this moment and time its to finish off the job that was started,

that's all.

• Advertisement

Because you are firing away with those figures and claims and making no mention of the context in which they occurred.

Okay, explain then the context of Bloody Friday, Enniskillin and the murder of Jean McConville, all actions acknowledged by the IRA. How did they help to convince people of the necessity of a United Ireland?

Ah OK that's the bit you want answered, at this moment and time its to finish off the job that was started,

that's all.

I truely do not understand what you mean by the above.

I point out for the record that a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, and the overwhelming majority of the people of Ireland, do not support the unification of the two.

I truely do not understand what you mean by the above.

I point out for the record that a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, and the overwhelming majority of the people of Ireland, do not support the unification of the two.
    Thats not true, have a vote for a UI on an all island basis and we would be unified.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

But he did neither.

FG do support the mass murder of Irish people, they support Michael Collins as their hero. Whatever way you look at the situation, Michael Collins supported the firing of the first shots of the civil war. The civil war which led to the deaths of between 1000 and 3000 deaths on the republican side alone.

All I'm saying is that there is distinct double standards applied to political parties in this country. Labour are another example, no one asks about some of the leaders of Labour and they're connections with Sinn Fein The Workers Party, other wise known as Official Sinn Fein, who had connections with the Official SF. I'm not saying that I think they should be, but you can use the same degrees of separation depending on your persuasion.

Quite frankly I would like to see an end to these endless political cheap shots about peoples history, everyone has things from their past they want to white wash, lets get on with the issues rather than the beauty pageant style attacks.

On Adams as opposition. Yeah he might not be the best on economics, but thats what the Finance spokesman will be for. The leader of the party isn't always the most educated on every matter that comes before the Dail, otherwise there would be no need for spokesmen on individual sectors. I think as a whole, Adams would make a very good leader of the opposition, better than any hypocritical FF member being leader of the opposition

Thats not true, have a vote for a UI on an all island basis and we would be unified.

We did, it was the 1998 all-island vote on the Belfast Aggreement. Over 75% of all voters supported it. If this were not the case it would not have won.

We did, it was the 1998 all-island vote on the Belfast Aggreement. Over 75% of all voters supported it. If this were not the case it would not have won.
    Ah jeez. That wasnt a vote against a UI. Or for a UI, it was for a peaceful framework to achieve a UI

stuckin wrote: »
    FG do support the mass murder of Irish people, they support Michael Collins as their hero. Whatever way you look at the situation, Michael Collins supported the firing of the first shots of the civil war. The civil war which led to the deaths of between 1000 and 3000 deaths on the republican side alone.

All I'm saying is that there is distinct double standards applied to political parties in this country. Labour are another example, no one asks about some of the leaders of Labour and they're connections with Sinn Fein The Workers Party, other wise known as Official Sinn Fein, who had connections with the Official SF. I'm not saying that I think they should be, but you can use the same degrees of separation depending on your persuasion.

Quite frankly I would like to see an end to these endless political cheap shots about peoples history, everyone has things from their past they want to white wash, lets get on with the issues rather than the beauty pageant style attacks.

On Adams as opposition. Yeah he might not be the best on economics, but thats what the Finance spokesman will be for. The leader of the party isn't always the most educated on every matter that comes before the Dail, otherwise there would be no need for spokesmen on individual sectors. I think as a whole, Adams would make a very good leader of the opposition, better than any hypocritical FF member being leader of the opposition

You and I cannot do anything about the Civil War. Its over, and just about out of living memory. The Troubles happened in our lifetime. And Adams stance on the rights of a private army to kill at will who it will goes right to the heart of his credibility as a candidate. How can he be a credible upholder of Irish law when he cannot bring himself to condem the murders of Irish people? He either does, or does not.

Ah jeez. That wasnt a vote against a UI. Or for a UI, it was for a peaceful framework to achieve a UI

And it contained the concept that only by democratic means will such an entity come to exist. There is just not enough support for it, north or south, outside of SF homelands.

And it contained the concept that only by democratic means will such an entity come to exist. There is just not enough support for it, north or south, outside of SF homelands.
    /sigh

Every major party in the south supports a UI.

• Advertisement

/sigh

Every major party in the south supports a UI.

Sure, as an aspiration. Its not an issue that is at the heart of most Irish voters however, only members of SF. Perhaps its another hold-over from the past we should dump? After all, what good has chasing a united Ireland ever done us?

Advertisement