Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New i7-2600k Rig

Options
  • 06-02-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭

So as chance would have it I was lucky enough to get the bones of a new Rig as a gift for free, given these recessionary times I would never have been able to lash out on this:

The New
    Intel Core i7-2600k
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Prolimatech High End 1155 Cooler, not sure which one specifically as I didn't buy it

The Old
    Mountain Mods UFO case
    GTX280
    4 x 1TB Sata 1
    1 x 500GB Sata 1

It's my first run at overclocking without an FSB or a HT, but given the unlocked multiplier, it's pretty straightforward.

I only built it yesterday and as of now I have it Overnight Prime95 stable at 4.7Ghz on a Vcore of 1.368V

Further tweaking to come in the future.

newrig.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Get ready to send that board back to the manufacturer for a full refund or replacement with the new revision (which is only coming out in April-May, as far as I know).

The whole Sandy Bridge chipset family (P6x & H6x series) is buggy and Intel is recalling it.
    More specifically, it's got a dodgy SATA controller which degrades performance and kills RAID arrays for breakfast :(

Intel gave the go-ahead to recall the whole line and so far Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, HP and Dell have asked their customer to send back their hardware and get their money back.

Intel hurts PC industry with Sandy Bridge recall

Sandy Bridge recall rippling through the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Chosen wrote: »
    Get ready to send that board back to the manufacturer for a full refund or replacement with the new revision (which is only coming out in April-May, as far as I know).

The whole Sandy Bridge chipset family (P6x & H6x series) is buggy and Intel is recalling it.
    More specifically, it's got a dodgy SATA controller which degrades performance and kills RAID arrays for breakfast :(

Intel gave the go-ahead to recall the whole line and so far Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, HP and Dell have asked their customer to send back their hardware and get their money back.

Intel hurts PC industry with Sandy Bridge recall

Sandy Bridge recall rippling through the industry

Aye I am well aware of this. Mine has 4 unaffected Sata 6Gb ports, so its not an immediate concern, but I will send it back for a replacement in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Nice overclock damn you must be pushing it on :) liquid cooled I take it ya got any pics, what was your old CPU

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Murray135 wrote: »
    Nice overclock damn you must be pushing it on :) liquid cooled I take it ya got any pics, what was your old CPU

Aparently, the 2600K's can be pushed through the 4GHz mark on air and stock voltage alone :eek:

Advertisement