Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Duggan midlands Mma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ok, i have been ringing, E mailing, Texting, publicly writing on here and writing on Facebook to Eddie, I'm still hanging onto the idea that he will ring me to find out weigh in details but it's not looking good.

If he does not i am going to ask all Promoters to Black list this club and Coach as this is most unprofessional thing you could do on any promotion

This is the type of thing that the community needs to stick together on,
    and its an awful thing to do to a fighter who bothered his hole to get in shape for a fight and make weight etc

I am currently trying to get a late replacement for a fight that i don't even know is off.

I will be updating this later on how this pans out and will be making it very public, if he decides to just not show up.

To try end on a positive I'm still hoping that he gets onto me and this is a bad misunderstanding.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Legends MMA Gym

I have to agree with Paul here, I have been trying to contact Eddie for some time now but to no avail. As a promoter and coach I can understand how frustrating this can be. I have a couple of Eddies guys booked on my next show and unless Eddie can come up with a valid and reasonable explanation as to the lack of contact with myself/Paul I will have no choice but to cut them from the event. This is unfair on his fighters but he has to realise the amount of effort promoters go through and not to mention the opposing fighters. I really do hope there is a positive outcome from this as at the moment there are plenty of reputable Irish shows out there and we could always do with some more fighters in the pool!

Text From Eddie Duggan while we where at the weigh in
    Hi sorry cant be there.someone passed away in my fam'y

1st off, Sorry for your loss.
    in saying that
    My club won't be on any show that puts this club on, their is nothing stopping the fighter been brought by another coach and it only takes 1 minute to call to pull out or to explain issues, or just answering instead of letting it run out every call

My fighter had sold many tickets and they are all been refunded and potentially I may lose money on the show, I have been trying to contact Eddie for a week now and could have been told to search for a new opponent, now it is too late.

To say my fighter is disappointed is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Luella Damaged Rooster

This sucks for everyone Paul, I hope you're supported by other clubs and promotions throughout the country too.

I can't imagine Tommys disappointment, see you all at the show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Before anyone jumps on me here, i dont know anything about anyone on here and anything about the situation, but in fairness im just looking at it from an outside point of view.

If it was the guys, child, wife, mother/father brother or sister, which i pray it was neither that passed away im sure the last thing on his mind was to ring and try to organise something else. So i think to come on a public website and stay stuff like that without knowing who it was that passed away is unfair.

It might of affected the rest of the club hence why nobody got a phone call. Im just throwing that out there, and certainly dont want to offend anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

I don't think Paul is being insensitive to the issue but in fairness a simple txt to say what happened would have made the situation very easy but the fact that there was no contact at all for the whole week after numerous calls and txts were made. The fighter in question trained his ass off and cut weight etc and that could have been saved or replaced if a simple txt was made. To be honest I find it a bit disrespectful and I think if things like this are allowed to continue it will only cause problems on shows. The club in question are booked for a show in 5 weeks and I no if it was my fighter in involved I would have concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

I'm sure there was a reason why he sent you a text and not the boards.ie mma forum Cowzer.

It was unprofessional behaviour from the gentleman in question but you are equally as bad with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

I'm sure there was a reason why he sent you a text and not the boards.ie mma forum Cowzer.

It was unprofessional behaviour from the gentleman in question but you are equally as bad with this.
    Have you read the whole thread above?? To be honest it's a good thing this subject was brought to attention so that possible further problems like this can be avoided in the future. No matter what there should have been some sort of communication like a simple txt to explain things and as this is the biggest MMA forum I'm sure Paul was more trying to get his attention more than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Have you read the whole thread above?? To be honest it's a good thing this subject was brought to attention so that possible further problems like this can be avoided in the future. No matter what there should have been some sort of communication like a simple txt to explain things and as this is the biggest MMA forum I'm sure Paul was more trying to get his attention more than anything else

Yes, I have already highlighted his behaviour was unprofessional.

Paul attempted to get his attention in the first post, the subsequent thanks mission with his mma buddies was unnecessary.

There is a correct way to deal with certain issues, neither person has done that here.

Correct way-please explain!
    I assume your advocating a dojo invasion

I exhausted all avenues of contact before I used this forum-I'm not on here to be mr nice guy-as a community we can't tolerate coaches/clubs who have no regard for their opponents or for promotions who simply are nothing without fighters.

Ps, He was downright ignoring us, it's not like he was unaware we wanted clarification-I'm quite sensitive to people's personal life hence why I'm unhappy that my lad who has his own family dedicated 2 months training at every opportunity to this and could have been at home with his Missus and child doing family stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Havent heard of the threat of a dojo invasion in a few years. Dark times indeed!

cowzerp wrote: »
    My club won't be on any show that puts this club on.

Just an update on this-as there is no actual official punishment that can be given by promotions for been messed about we need to just try to work together to make sure that we as a community don't get messed about-When I 1st wrote the quote above I was intending on following this up indefinitely, what I am hoping will happen is that they are not dealt with for a period of time

I'm personally hoping nobody has any MMA dealings with these for 6 months and then after that it's forgotten and it's all starting with a clean slate, action like this should be taken more often if we feel messed about .

If any shows do put them Eddie Duggan/Midlands mma on within 6 months from now then it will be my last dealings with them but that's the individual promoters business what they do, I'd hope the promoters and clubs can show solidarity and stick together like we did for the rules changes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 j.ging

only reading this now.. that is wrong.. why take the fight in the 1st place.. any time i cant make it 2 a event i always have some else to take my place... we have a fighter on celtic gladiator who took a fight at 84kg 2 maybe 3 weeks ago and now he wont cut 4 kg to make weight.. said 2 nights ago i cant do it now his coach is saying that he has a flu.. not on at all.. the other fight has trained hard and for what?? for this crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

j.ging wrote: »
    only reading this now.. that is wrong.. why take the fight in the 1st place.. any time i cant make it 2 a event i always have some else to take my place... we have a fighter on celtic gladiator who took a fight at 84kg 2 maybe 3 weeks ago and now he wont cut 4 kg to make weight.. said 2 nights ago i cant do it now his coach is saying that he has a flu.. not on at all.. the other fight has trained hard and for what?? for this crap...

This kinda **** is ruining shows, I wont be dealing with midlands mma nor will i be dealing with team morceago who 2 weeks ago agreed to fight one of my lads at 84ks, then 2 days ago told john ging they wouldnt cut the 4 kgs to do so. its left john 1 fight less and my lad who has worked his ass off for this without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Patrick Quinn

This kinda **** is ruining shows, I wont be dealing with midlands mma nor will i be dealing with team morceago who 2 weeks ago agreed to fight one of my lads at 84ks, then 2 days ago told john ging they wouldnt cut the 4 kgs to do so. its left john 1 fight less and my lad who has worked his ass off for this without a fight.
    If thae fella really wanted to fight then he should try like **** to loss the weight, by sounds of it he wasnt keen on the fight in the first place giving up saying cant loss weight

We offered to take the fight at 86 so that he didn't have to cut much, the response was he has the flu!!

If thae fella really wanted to fight then he should try like **** to loss the weight, by sounds of it he wasnt keen on the fight in the first place giving up saying cant loss weight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Maybe he has the flu?

whats that got to do with taking a fight at an agreed weight almost a month before the date and then 2 days ago deciding he cant make the weight? what has the flu got to to with that?

whats that got to do with taking a fight at an agreed weight almost a month before the date and then 2 days ago deciding he cant make the weight? what has the flu got to to with that?
    It would certainly have a serious effect on a weight cut for one thing. I'd also be pretty reticent about putting someone through a weight cut if they'd recently had influenza (not man flu).

hey maybe the guy just likes ice cream too much and is in perfect health, but dragging the club's name through the mud on the internet doesn't seem like the way to resolve anything. You might not believe their excuse but, well, that's Chinatown. It's been happening since fights began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

maybe barry was taking the p2ss ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Legends MMA Gym

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt but over the past few weeks I have phoned EDDIE 12 times and he has not answered one of my calls. The only response I got was, without any disrespect to Eddie, a text message that I could not make sense of. I understand the situation with a passing in his family/friends but I am sure there would have been someone else in the club to stand in under such circumstances. I personally am not going to ask anyone to boycot Eddie or his club but due to his lack of communication and the way things were handled with Paul (Rumble in Rush), I am not taking the chance and will be withdrawing the club from Man of War. I will be open to having Midlands MMA on future shows if they can prove to be reliable and professional in their dealings with clubs and promoters alike.

no mention of flu when they refused point blank to cut the weight, so invalid point.

It would certainly have a serious effect on a weight cut for one thing. I'd also be pretty reticent about putting someone through a weight cut if they'd recently had influenza (not man flu).

hey maybe the guy just likes ice cream too much and is in perfect health, but dragging the club's name through the mud on the internet doesn't seem like the way to resolve anything. You might not believe their excuse but, well, that's Chinatown. It's been happening since fights began.

no mention of flu when they refused point blank to cut the weight, so invalid point
    I'll have it stricken from the record so?

Im not trying to guess right. We're not playing family fortunes here, I'm just saying it might be a better idea to have a more measured and less public response. As a promoter, fighter and coach I've heard some amazing stories and been ****ed over manys a time but if I were to go to the Internet every time I'd never be off it. Sometimes people are arseholes and sometimes there's a genuine breakdown in communication . In either case I don't think anyone benefits from a public call out.

I couldn't agree more that nobody benefits from this, however some people benefit less then others from what happened, namely Celtic gladiator and will fleury.
    There are many reasons for a fighter to withdraw from a fight which are acceptable and happen all the time. This however is not acceptable and there was no breakdown in communication. Basically it went like this.
    Phone call from John Ging the monday after Will fought on mma clinic amateur fight night 2 offering Will a fight with one of morceagos guys. Great lets take it. Fight agreed at 84kgs. No time off for Will straight back into hard training.
    2 weeks later, with 10 days left to the fight, when it is very difficult to get a replacement fighter Celtic Gladiator receive call stating that there fighter is refusing point blank to cut from 88 to 84 over the next 10 days. At this stage he did not have the "flu".
    Now I really couldn't care less about the fighters diet or why he is refusing to make weight because if he felt 84 was too low fight should not have been accepted 2 weeks previous when John had time to find somebody else to fight Will.
    It has left the promoter angry, it has left me angry and Will is angry.
    When clubs behave like this then people should know. It might put a stop to this behaviour in future.
    Because this kind of behaviour has gone on in the fight game from the beginning is not reason enough to accept it now.

no mention of flu when they refused point blank to cut the weight, so invalid point
    I'll have it stricken from the record so?

Im not trying to guess right. We're not playing family fortunes here, I'm just saying it might be a better idea to have a more measured and less public response. As a promoter, fighter and coach I've heard some amazing stories and been ****ed over manys a time but if I were to go to the Internet every time I'd never be off it. Sometimes people are arseholes and sometimes there's a genuine breakdown in communication . In either case I don't think anyone benefits from a public call out.

update: Fight is now back on, promoter received a call this morning saying they will take the fight at 86. no mention of flu. strange to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

I'm just saying it might be a better idea to have a more measured and less public response. As a promoter, fighter and coach I've heard some amazing stories and been ****ed over manys a time but if I were to go to the Internet every time I'd never be off it. Sometimes people are arseholes and sometimes there's a genuine breakdown in communication . In either case I don't think anyone benefits from a public call out.
    In fairness its just bringing a situation to light to the mma community in Ireland, Sometimes people are arseholes and maybe other promoters should know who the arseholes are? So maybe some people would benefit?

Niall0 wrote: »
    In fairness its just bringing a situation to light to the mma community in Ireland, Sometimes people are arseholes and maybe other promoters should know who the arseholes are? So maybe some people would benefit?

Agreed, If it can be dealt with privately that's how it should be in my opinion-but if it can't I don't think just accepting it is good enough for me, that just allows for bad situations to keep arising without any comeback at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Agreed, If it can be dealt with privately that's how it should be in my opinion-but if it can't I don't think just accepting it is good enough for me, that just allows for bad situations to keep arising without any comeback at all.

Thats the problem with this country, we just go 'ah well' and move on. There is never any consequences and until there is, the same **** will keep on happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Which in your case was fine, but I think the boxing clinic scenario was premature which is evident considering the fight is now back on.

• Advertisement

Lol, premature!! Do you think the fight would be back on if I hasdbt brought this to light!

Quote=Yourwellcum;77982059]

Which in your case was fine, but I think the boxing clinic scenario was premature which is evident considering the fight is now back on.[/Quote]

Advertisement